Hollow Dacron

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lance@driveline.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hollow Dacron
    Posted: 09 Sep 2014 at 4:56pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

My 80's are all spooled with dacron and mono top shot and having shared a big spool round all 4 reels I have ended up with a topshot that approx 300m.

Im really not that happy with such a big topshot so I either need to 

1. Respool with fresh Dacron and shorten my topshot up to the desired 150m or 
2. Splice in a new section  of dacron

I have never had a failure with a Topshot connection so is there any reason why you could not do the same with the dacron ?

Is there a Dacron to Dacron Splicing method that is reliable ?

Thoughts please :) 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KikBac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2014 at 5:10pm
KikBac View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The "Chinese handcuff" where you thread one length of Dacron in & out of the other 2-3 times (same as splicing a Dacron loop for wind-on.) See here:
http://windstarkites.com/FlyLine-No_Knot_Splicing.htm
Beer: the most important meal of the day.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2014 at 6:27pm
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

As above Lance and if your still unsure end for end the dacron so splice is at bottom of spool
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dustin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2014 at 7:18pm
dustin View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I'd add the extra dacron, but at the bottom of the spool, and preferably in a different colour.  ie. 150 yards black or orange spliced to your original backing and then about 150 to 175m on top of that.  Lots of winding yeah... but you'll have only one line to line connection to worry about and if your angler starts yelling "I can see the black line" you know you've only got 150 yards left!  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lance@driveline.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2014 at 8:33pm
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Excellent  ! ! ! 

Cheers Chaps thats great advice :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Renegade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2014 at 9:14pm
Renegade View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I've got the same set up Lance, the Dacron was sold in 1200 metre spools so I put 600 on each 80w, I've never been that happy with it. I think Dustin is on to it, will wait for a wet Sunday and hopefully get the crew round to help, mite have to tempt them with a few beers.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2014 at 7:23am
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by Renegade Renegade wrote:

I've got the same set up Lance, the Dacron was sold in 1200 metre spools so I put 600 on each 80w, I've never been that happy with it. I think Dustin is on to it, will wait for a wet Sunday and hopefully get the crew round to help, mite have to tempt them with a few beers.

That is what i did originally but have now changed to 800m spools so only need a 200-250m topshot. With the 600m of dacron, i ended up with at least 500m of mono(only ever saw the braid leave the reel once  when on a fishLOL)

BTW... when i changed out my topshots i would send 10m of dacron away to be tested(piece of mind) and after 10yrs the 37kg test dacron still tested to 32-33kg so very minimal deteriation of breaking strain
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2014 at 8:55am
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The connection above is a goodie. Personally I wouldn't even worry about reversing the line. When it is tested to destruction the weakest point is where the nylon is inserted. 
Just one question though Lance whats wrong with the 300m topshot? Too much line to replace each time new topshot or dual purpose Broady reel?
Kaveman that's about 12% but I'd suggest even new it wasn't 37kg more like 80lb (36kg) and it was likely designed to break under that, so you are right it hasn't lost much if any strength. I have some 37 Dacron and the stuff remaining on the spool isn't any different than the stuff I've used for years. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jaapie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2014 at 10:45am
Jaapie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey - just opening up a can of worms here......

You guys that use the braid and top shot, what do you do if you hook a potential record?

For arguments sake, you fill up with '80lb' braid/hollow dacron that effectively breaks at 100 pounds and insert a top shot of 250 meters 80lb mono.
Some might fish IGFA rated dacron, but that's far and few between.

Do you claim your gear is rigged as 80 or are you honest and say 130.
This is something that really does bug me and I've seen it at tournaments.
Some blokes even say they didn't even get to the splice - but that is irrelevant to the argument.

Most blokes are aware the dacron/braid overtests and by IGFA rules, the heavier line is supposed to be recorded as the gear used.

Mods feel free to move this to a new thread if it hijacks Black Bill's one.
"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KikBac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2014 at 12:23pm
KikBac View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Jaapie, I think this why those that are serious about tournaments and records specify Dacron (as opposed to braid.) Dacron is approved by IGFA/ NZSFC and you can buy IGFA rated Dacron. As Kaveman and Krow pointed it holds it's strength well and lasts for b****y ages.
Beer: the most important meal of the day.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2014 at 12:33pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Krow....Correct, i always test my lines before i spool the reels up and most spools were 36-36.7kg but i tested the dacron every 2nd year approx and did notice a very small decrease in tested kg.

Jappie..if someone wants to cheat well they are only cheating themselves, will always be someone who pushes the boundaries.
Topshoting braid with mono, in "theory" the lightest line should be what is counted but not with IGFAThumbs Down. Has been a discussion on this very subject not long ago( until IGFA gets with the times, this rule will always be a sticking point) Works well in freshwater with the tippet being the line class so shouldnt be any different in saltwater i wouldnt thinkConfused
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lance@driveline.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2014 at 12:41pm
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

The reason I am shortening up the top shot is because of the day time deep dropping that I have been doing  and because I would like to change out the top shot more often and doing this at 300m at a time gets a bit rich especially with all the xtra days we are doing with the Charters this season.

It is my understanding that the Dacron we are using is IGFA and NZSFC approved. I always state this on my weigh sheets and the last Zane Grey that we took the T & R section out on the IGFA rep signed it off :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote swordfishsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2014 at 6:42pm
swordfishsteve View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Blackbill , if you want to be really tight/cheap then take all your line off your 80Ws and put 300mtrs of IGFA pre test mono as a backing then splice in your 600mtrs of IGFA Dacron then splice in 100mtrs of IGFA pre text mono as top shot, then perfect for day time swords deep drops and all IGFA / NZSFC legal, for very little cost. ???? just saying as option? Not hard to figure out is it?Wink
REEL REPAIR GUY - Swordfishsteve, That Is Who I Am and That is What I Do : See More At :www.reelrepairguy.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lance@driveline.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2014 at 8:02pm
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Now you would put a configuration like that into the mix wouldn't you ! ! !lol
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2014 at 8:17pm
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

best by test for me was 600m dacron and 500m mono saved redoing top shots and 500m out gave a good indication and dacron lasted 11yrs and was still going strong when I re-spooled each season it was tested at the club and still broke well at 36+k dacron is effected badly by sunlight I am suprised no one mentioned this, ask Peter Pakula about the shower caps used on the dacron reels to keep the sun out

sure 150m is easy to chop and change but how many will you get on one before you need to chop it?

at least with the amount you already have is way better for this
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2014 at 7:33pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Blue Asparagus Blue Asparagus wrote:

Dacron is effected badly by sunlight I am surprised no one mentioned this, ask Peter Pakula about the shower caps used on the dacron reels to keep the sun out

I didn't know that. 
I have some 45kg,37kg and 24kg so I'll string some up in the weather ( can't say sun as this is Whangarain) for a few months and see what happens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2014 at 8:06pm
Titanium
Titanium

the joys of being around for many moons Doug, a while back all we used was dacron all green spot stuff, if you use the colored stuff you can actually see a color change, much like you do in the fluro nylon, my black windons got so weak we could snap them and they were 200lb the same stuff in green spot lasted much longer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lance@driveline.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2014 at 8:50pm
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

So how does the UV etc get through 100+ metres of nylon ? to affect the dacron ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2014 at 9:22pm
Titanium
Titanium

are you only going to fish 100+ m of mono ? you did say it was for deep drops?? and of course with dacron it needs to be dried as it rots, maybe go with igfa braid for better results, after all if you do get that record you can send the info off to igfa yourself but have a weigh master check you terminal gears as has been done before
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2014 at 9:31pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by Blue Asparagus Blue Asparagus wrote:

are you only going to fish 100+ m of mono ? you did say it was for deep drops?? and of course with dacron it needs to be dried as it rots, maybe go with igfa braid for better results, after all if you do get that record you can send the info off to igfa yourself but have a weigh master check you terminal gears as has been done before

steve.. the "old" dacron might have rotted but i can assure you the new stuff does not, it actually has a waxy coating to prevent that. Mine is ten yrs old and never been dried and still tested at 32-33kg over 7 reels. mono would never last that longWink
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Page  12>