JB Hollow BS?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: JB Hollow BS?
    Posted: 02 Sep 2014 at 7:20am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Didn't want to muddy the reel debate.

Kaveman
"Actually  quite common with some brands, JB hollow 80lb tests at 120lb where 100lb hollow tests less at 117lb. Mainly because 80 is a 16strand compared to 100lb which is a 12 strand braid.
PP hollow ace are all 16 strand so yes a bit unusual"

Where do you get these testings? I have 60 lb JB hollow on a couple of reels and interested to know what they break at?
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2014 at 7:43am
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishing Addiction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2014 at 7:46am
Fishing Addiction View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

+/- 95lbs
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2014 at 8:07am
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

As above in Marligator post Roy.  Paulus is the world's premier line testerWink
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2014 at 9:38am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thumbs UpCheers for that guys!Thumbs Up

So any good for swordies on a 50W Makaira?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2014 at 11:05am
Titanium
Titanium

No reason why you can't use it Roy so long as you have faith in your joins, assuming they are say 85% or better., just treat it the same as you would normal 37 kg line
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2014 at 11:57am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Marligator Marligator wrote:

No reason why you can't use it Roy so long as you have faith in your joins, assuming they are say 85% or better., just treat it the same as you would normal 37 kg line
1200 yards of 60 lb hollow JB so only join is at the terminal tackle.
Got 2 37 kg rods - CD Tournament Series and Kilwell Live Fibre - both with  interchangeable butts.
Not sure if my knees are up to a long fight, though!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2014 at 7:20am
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by Fishb8 Fishb8 wrote:

I run 120lb Tasline solid with a short hollow connection and a 100m of 100lb mono topshot on an Avet T-Rex.
No breakages so farLOL

I would go heavier than 60JB if i was you, use 100lbJB (tests at 117lb)
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2014 at 8:41am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by kaveman kaveman wrote:

I run 120lb Tasline solid with a short hollow connection and a 100m of 100lb mono topshot on an Avet T-Rex.
No breakages so farLOL

JB60 has a BS of 43 Kg and you'd be hard pushed to cope for long on 24 kg (even 20) of drag...that's still 19 kg short of BS - so why the stronger line needed?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2014 at 8:57am
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

No breakages so farLOL

Was wondering why you used the solid tasline as I believe the hollow is thinner ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2014 at 12:36pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Fishb8..... mainly because you would need lots of line using 60lb hollow unless you use backing.

Legacy... mainly cost factor Rory, solid is way cheaper than hollow but just as good and so easy to fire a short length of hollow braid onto the solid so i can topshot with mono.
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2014 at 1:17pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Fishb8..... mainly because you would need lots of line using 60lb hollow unless you use backing.

Legacy... mainly cost factor Rory, solid is way cheaper than hollow but just as good and so easy to fire a short length of hollow braid onto the solid so i can topshot with mono.
Haha - 1200 yards of JB 60 hollow + an undershot of 500 metres of Pauls Kite 80 lb!!
Is that enough?Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lance@driveline.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2014 at 1:34pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Cost ?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JoshW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2014 at 1:42pm
JoshW View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

JB is expensive.... but the stuff pretty much lasts forever and you can re-splice, remove damaged sections. and create seem less joins that keep 100% of the original BS that are completely smooth and unnoticeable.

IMO the initial outlay to spool up is worth it in the long run for this reason.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lance@driveline.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2014 at 2:14pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

10/4
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2014 at 4:28pm
Titanium
Titanium

Josh have you had eperience with the other brands of hollow briad (eg powerPro, Tasline etc), and if so how do they stack up compared to JB?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2014 at 11:49pm
mozz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have used the moi moi hollow and the power pro. I fount the power pro very very difficult to splice compared to JB and moimoi, it seemed like a thin weave and I kept on pushing the needle out the side.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2014 at 9:00am
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by mozz mozz wrote:

I have used the moi moi hollow and the power pro. I fount the power pro very very difficult to splice compared to JB and moimoi, it seemed like a thin weave and I kept on pushing the needle out the side.

Did you test any of them? I haven't tried the JB or Moimoi but my 80lb Power Pro breaks at just about exactly 80lb so maybe that's why it's "different". 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sid fishus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2014 at 10:21am
sid fishus View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I gots some moiimoi 100lb, seems nice but very difficult for me to thread compared to JB or even PP....

Confused...   Sleepy.

Probably depends also on weight of line and thread count I guess.
I always tell the truth about things that never happened