Fishing Season

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote scuzzymoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fishing Season
    Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 10:48pm
scuzzymoto View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well spring is here thank god, the weather should start coming right over the next couple of weeks with warm currents heading both coast lines- the big 20 lbr snapper will be here soon for a a couple of months before xmas- then the 1-5 kg fish take over for a while... The Kings will also start showing up over the next 6-10 weeks (mainly in the lower North Island) cant wait...

So whats every ones goals for this season ?,

For me it will be fishing light line -

surf casting 2-6 kg and target a few records.. in the lower north region
LBG- Catch and release as main kings as possible in the lower north..

We shall also be doing a lot of filming this season showing alot of tricks and new gear been used-

"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled” Mark Twain
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jabba400 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2014 at 3:02pm
Jabba400 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Catch something would be a lovely start.  Hoping for a few KY out of Kapiti and off the Rangitikei rivermouth.

Won a charter trip over winter, so will head out and hope to catch a kingi or good size snapper (or any d*mn thing, really, not too fussy).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 1achuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2014 at 4:12pm
1achuck View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I'm a newby, so can't wait to get out there and catch a few fish from the beach. I'm not bothered what they are or how big they are, I just wan't to have a bait in the water and that anticipation of a bite.
Tight lines to all my fellow danglers.
Waikato Pest Monitor
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote scuzzymoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2014 at 5:12pm
scuzzymoto View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by 1achuck 1achuck wrote:

I'm a newby, so can't wait to get out there and catch a few fish from the beach. I'm not bothered what they are or how big they are, I just wan't to have a bait in the water and that anticipation of a bite.

Pick the times you go surfcasting- either rising tide at daylight(I like 1-1 1/2 after light) or 1-2 hours after dark, watch the moon as well - I find 1/4- 1/3 rd best for the area I fish...

Dont do the heave and leave thing- check baits every 20min- 1/2 hour - dont cast big baits - remember elephants eat peanuts, baits the size of thumb are best... have a few different baits with you and present them well- fish are picky at times....

If your not getting bites move 10-20 meters along the beach - keep trying things, lighter traces,smaller hooks,floats or needle fish may help...

I would also suggest reading the section on Reading the Beach By Chad Prentice (sticky in walk-about-section) this will help alot..
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled” Mark Twain
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 1achuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2014 at 5:51pm
1achuck View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for the advise Mark.
After 30 years of freshwater fishing in the UK and NZ i decided I needed a new challenge.
Where better than the wild west coast of New Zealand.
Tightlines
Alan
Waikato Pest Monitor
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote o Neill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2014 at 5:56pm
o Neill View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I would have kept those pair of greys rods 1achuck!
Personally this spring nail a 10pound plus BOP snapper come close but not yet.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 1achuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2014 at 6:17pm
1achuck View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by o Neill o Neill wrote:

Life moves on, maybe I'll be able to pick up a couple of Sonik rods cheap.Wink
Waikato Pest Monitor
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nickstaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2014 at 7:39pm
nickstaa View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

My first kingy and a ten lb snapper.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote o Neill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2014 at 7:42pm
o Neill View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by o Neill o Neill wrote:

Life moves on, maybe I'll be able to pick up a couple of Sonik rods cheap.Wink

A pair of AFAW match 2 rods with 6500 CT free spools AKIOS or the older ABU Blue yonders if you can find them. I have one and its the first reel out of the seat box now.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Zambezi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2014 at 9:45pm
Zambezi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Bow fishing + LBG = Something new and exciting for me.

Will still do a few normal type trips, but will have the bow along as well.
A man’s comfort in life can be measured by the quality of the toilet paper he uses to wipe his arse.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote o Neill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2014 at 9:00pm
o Neill View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Good starting point in the Waikato river would be from the sand dunes across the road from the entrance to the camping ground at port waikato, there is a car park there. Fishing over the top of the tide into the channel for trevs and Kahawai. A pilchard cube will bring the trevs and kahawai.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far North LBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2014 at 7:35am
Far North LBG View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Bring on the twenty14/15 season Clap

GOAL ONE 
- master the art of slidebaiting... can't wait to achieve some great results

OTHER GOALS - beat my landbase PB's
Kingfish - 27.4Kg
Snapper - 8.9kg
Mako - 56kg
Bronzie - 107.8Kg

Appreciate today, it's an opportunity to do well from what we learnt yesterday
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Zambezi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2014 at 9:27am
Zambezi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Far North LBG Far North LBG wrote:

GOAL ONE 

Kingfish - 27.4Kg
Snapper - 8.9kg
Mako - 56kg
Bronzie - 107.8Kg

If you're Auckland based I'd be more than happy to run you through some slidebaiting sessions/tips.
A man’s comfort in life can be measured by the quality of the toilet paper he uses to wipe his arse.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far North LBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2014 at 9:42am
Far North LBG View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by Zambezi Zambezi wrote:

Originally posted by Far North LBG Far North LBG wrote:

GOAL ONE 

Kingfish - 27.4Kg
Snapper - 8.9kg
Mako - 56kg
Bronzie - 107.8Kg

If you're Auckland based I'd be more than happy to run you through some slidebaiting sessions/tips.

Thanks Zambezi, I'm based in the Far North.
What say you start a new topic under walkabout all about slidebaiting tips/techniques, rods/reels/rigs and pictures of results.
I'm sure there are a few other that wish to give it a goThumbs Up

Appreciate today, it's an opportunity to do well from what we learnt yesterday
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote wozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2014 at 9:47am
wozz View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

My goal is a kingi off the rocks (any size). Ive had trouble getting livies so might try casting poppers/stickbaits!
With barbless hooks everyone wins.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote wozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2014 at 9:49am
wozz View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

If you are based in Auckland, where would be the best place to try for kingis?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2014 at 1:44pm
Jwest View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by wozz wozz wrote:

If you are based in Auckland, where would be the best place to try for kingis?

There are lots of places to catch kings close to downtown, Harbour bridge, Okahu Wharfe, North Head, Meola Reef, there's a pic on this site of someone catching a king at all those spots. Wharves are a good place to start as you can get livies a bit easier although if you put berley in the water just about anywhere in AKL it won't be long till a piper, mullet or kahawai shows up.

On topic I'd like to get a king on the flats some where local..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote wozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2014 at 3:20pm
wozz View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks heaps Jwest. Might give North Head a go. I'm guessing from now on they might start moving in?
With barbless hooks everyone wins.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2014 at 6:11pm
Hammy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

My first Kingi off the rocks and beat my PB 6Kg+ snapp.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2014 at 6:13pm
Jwest View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Probably a bit early for harbour kings but you might get lucky, Jan, Feb, March seem to be the most consistent months

Page  12>