Raymarine Evolution Autopilot?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Taking Time Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Raymarine Evolution Autopilot?
    Posted: 31 Aug 2014 at 5:09pm
Taking Time View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Has anyone got/used one of these? 

I have an volvo penta I/O with cable/power steering so specifically looking at the sport pilot model (steers from helm instead of using hydraulic pump)

any info/recommendations would be appreciated
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ohsoslow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2014 at 5:20pm
Ohsoslow View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hey mate, I'm pretty sure I've got one! My biggest complaint is the noise from the unit, I think amplified by the play in the steering system. If you're in Auckland, you're welcome to come have a play with mine and hear what I'm talking bout. I have now got a hydraulic pump to install, to hopefully eliminate the noise.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Taking Time Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2014 at 9:04pm
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Ohsoslow, i did wonder how noisy they were, do you think it would still be noticeable at trolling speed above engine noise, stereo on etc? I'd imagine it'd drive you crazy if so.
Noise aside, are there any other issues or are you fairly happy with it?
Also what brand of GPS do you have and do you have it connected? I have a lowrance and wondering if it would be compatible.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lance@driveline.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2014 at 10:23pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

I ran the Sport Pilot on my old Trophy which was Cable helm to Power assist. It worked a treat and was very happy with it. I have subsequently installed another unit on a mates old Jallopy which is cable and it is working just as well once again so I m a fan :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ohsoslow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 6:35am
Ohsoslow View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hey mate, yeah at trolling is where it's noisy, specially if it's a bit rough.. Motor whining back and forth.. I have learnt to block it out.. So not really a problem for me. And sure saves having to drive the boat the whole time!! I love the unit, haven't had any problems with it, although when I first put it on, the steering would randomly get heavy after a day out on the water, but that seems to have freed up now.

I tried to hook it up to my lowrance, but failed. I used nmea0183 connection on my hds, and couldn't get it to work. That could be me doing it wrong though. I did read that lowrance uses v2.0, and raymarine supports v2.1 onwards. I didn't investigate hooking it up thru nmea2000 though..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bay Marine Electronics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 11:06am
Bay Marine Electronics View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Just did a very quick search and found (surprisingly) the evolution doesn't accept NMEA0183. Theoretically it should work with NMEA2000 but we haven't tried one yet, I'm not sure if it uses proprietary sentences or standard ones. Would be easy to try.

0800 BAY MARINE www.baymarineelectronics.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Taking Time Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2014 at 10:42pm
Bronze
Bronze

Cheers guys, thanks for the recommendations, sounds like one will be on the cards before summer.
Yeah from what I googled it seems you can get a cable to connect a lowrance backbone to the raymarine one so you end up with a lowrance terminator one end and raymarine the other, at least that's the way i read it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bay Marine Electronics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2014 at 11:31am
Gold
Gold

You can cut and join the cables from each brand (Lowrance just uses normal NMEA2000 by the way, same as Furuno and Garmin). Solder colour to colour.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ohsoslow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2014 at 11:56am
Ohsoslow View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

To do that I'd need to buy a nmea2000 starter kit thing for my lowrance hds? And then cut wires and wire into the seatalk?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bay Marine Electronics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2014 at 12:39pm
Gold
Gold

Depending on your Lowrance unit, and your installation, it might already be running a NMEA2000 GPS. If this is the case it is best practice to have only the data wires joining the Raymarine Seatalk NG network (or to remove the power source from either the Lowrance or Raymarine network), otherwise you'll have 2 power sources on the same network. You'll also need to have only one resistor on each network.

If you don't have an existing NMEA2000 network, you'll just need a straight cable from the Lowrance and a straight cable from the Seatalk NG network, cut and solder, ooorrr just use the adapter cable.

Haha it makes sense in my head anyway! If it sounds too complicated, get the marine electronics company who you're getting the autopilot through to do it for you. I can recommend depending on where you are located.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ohsoslow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2014 at 11:52am
Ohsoslow View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hey guys, just to update this, I've got my lowrance and raymarine talking! Actually really simple (eventually) I got the a06045 (sea talkng to nmea2000) adaptor cable, and plugged it into the (spare) back plug on autopilot head unit, and nmea2000 port on lowrance, turned them both on, and it works! Great success!