IGFA Letter to NZSFC Regarding Braid

Page  <123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TOSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 7:50pm
TOSF View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Marliigator / Bigfishbob, Thanks for the info you have shared. 
Frustratiing for sure and I can see how the NZSFC are restricted due to the IGFA. I guess there will come a time when everyone will be totally fed up and just walk away from the old boys club.
http://www.facebook.com/TonyOrtonSportFishingOffshoreAdventures
www.offshoreadventures.net
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 8:57pm
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks Bob, - Hopefully there will be some robust discussion in Gisborne and some clear direction comes out of it. See you in a few weeks.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2014 at 7:02am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by TOSF TOSF wrote:

Marliigator / Bigfishbob, Thanks for the info you have shared. 
Frustratiing for sure and I can see how the NZSFC are restricted due to the IGFA. I guess there will come a time when everyone will be totally fed up and just walk away from the old boys club.
I'm still a club member but will never fish tournaments - I just like fishing. The politics are a distraction.
At least you can tag a fish without the line weight being an issue.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2014 at 7:36pm
The Badger View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I have been on my clubs committee for over 10 years and am currently the Secretary and Treasurer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2014 at 8:19pm
Titanium
Titanium

Badger - I apologise, you are doing your bit which is great, however there are a lot of people on here who have never contributed anything to their clubs. There are a lot of very passionate people on here we need to get some of these on our committees. especially the younger ones.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2014 at 6:33am
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Vance a lot of clubs have do have many talented people that probably do contribute or support their club, in the same breath all clubs have there detractors, our club is no different.
I sit on our committee for the purpose of wanting to promote fishing etc our members but when you try to put something in place for members a small minority come out of the woodwork who dont like what youve done and all they can do is ***** & moan. There are also some that their only reason to sit on committees is to further their own agenda, for me these type of people have no place on committees.
I think you will find that the reason some talented people dont put their names forward for club committee is because of the detractors, it can be rather daunting at times when all the minority seem to do is stir the pot up among members.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2014 at 4:24pm
Titanium
Titanium

Craig, I agree with all that you are saying. The minority ruin so many things.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2014 at 11:07pm
PJay View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

What is so difficult about actually testing braid line?

That's all IGFA requires - not some silly bloody banning.
PJ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Titahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2014 at 12:06am
Titahi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I agree PJay, clubs have had 10 odd years to sort out testing machines. I wrote an Email to Trevor  Woolston at the BOISFC when he was President, about 4 years ago. From memory the club had agreed  to allow braid upto 15 kg line class in comps, which was to be commended. I think he replied that the clubs testing machine was incappable of testing braid above this as it had been broken on a few ocassions trying to do  so, and any record claims on higher line classes would require a sample to be sent to the IGFA for testing.

Maybe ask Mr Smith if they have made any progress.

At the time it was a better approach than Tutukaka :(
"I love standing by the ocean and just knowing what its for"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2014 at 6:22am
Titanium
Titanium

PJay - with the current crop of line testers the braid broke with a spike i.e. the breaking strain reading was higher than the true breaking strain. This was found out by comparting results for the same line with a line tester and having an official line test done (much better technology). The NZSFC has developed a manually operated line tester which works with braid and is available to clubs for about $1000. They are currently working on developing a motorised version, but are having a few issues.

Yes if every club had a line tester which could accurately test braid then braid may be able to be used in the nationals so long as every angler using braid had all their braid outfits tested before the Nationals to determine which line class each outfit fits into. (for some clubs with a lot of teams in the Nationals this is going to be a lot of work - who does the line testing - can't leave it to the anglers themselves to do can we?)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bite Time Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2014 at 8:28am
Bite Time View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Great discussion.... I've been around this issue for a while on both the NZSFC and as an IGFA Rep. The only reason that braid can't work in the nationals at present is logistical. As for a change to the fishing rules to use Tippets, I think that it's a good idea. It would require a departure from the IGFA. Suggested it at a recent meeting and got a comment that I could also resign as a Rep. Better to try and drive change from the inside in this case me thinks. The Council operates a very good democratic process. It's over to your clubs to make changes to the constitution happen if that's what is wanted.... Does the Council exist for fishing, or does the Council exist for the IGFA? If we want to change the IGFA position, has anybody looked at what the NZSFC is to the IGFA?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2014 at 12:36pm
PJay View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Originally posted by Marligator Marligator wrote:

PJay - with the current crop of line testers the braid broke with a spike i.e. the breaking strain reading was higher than the true breaking strain. This was found out by comparting results for the same line with a line tester and having an official line test done (much better technology). The NZSFC has developed a manually operated line tester which works with braid and is available to clubs for about $1000. They are currently working on developing a motorised version, but are having a few issues.

Yeah, as mentioned above, BOISC used to trot out this one.

It was explained to me by a private individual who owned exactly the same model of testing machine that it was simply a matter of incorrect technique. He demonstrated to me testing up to 160lb braid: no "spike", no uneven results, nothing other than consistent results.

Braid does not hold to itself the same as mono, so you have to attach it to the tester so as to ensure that the break, when it occurs, is of the line, not at a knot or overlap.

There are very many commercially available testing machines, and even in NZ branches of foreign companies whose main business is making machines that will test braid lines. This is far from new technology.
PJ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Renegade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2014 at 8:24am
Renegade View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

We now all need to make sure our NZSFC Delegates are given a clear direction on were there committee and members stand on the braid issue prior to them going to the AGM
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2014 at 1:59pm
Titanium
Titanium

PJay - you may be right but how much do these units cost, they need to be at a realistic price, most smaller clubs will not be able to afford $3-5,000 for a decent line tester.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2014 at 3:13pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Yeah, mono testers were $4000 about 10years ago, hate to think what they would be worth now and testing braid is not as easy as some of you thinkWink
If you dont believe me send paulus an email and he will show/tell you why

Marligator.. you are correct about clubs not being financial enough to pay for a tester, lots of clubs are even in default of their NZSFC affiliation fees
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2014 at 7:13pm
PJay View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Boys, I offered to buy BOISC a Shimadzu tester.

However, the club's existing tester, as stated above, can do the job perfectly well on braid if operated properly.

BTW, a couple of years ago this unit still cost <$2K.
PJ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2014 at 7:48pm
the angler View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

word.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote livin4fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2014 at 9:13pm
livin4fish View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Is there an ISO standard for tensile testing braid line and if so are the clubs keeping a copy for their QA????
No good fish goes anywhere without a porpoise: Lewis Carroll

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2014 at 9:48pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by PJay PJay wrote:

Boys, I offered to buy BOISC a Shimadzu tester.

However, the club's existing tester, as stated above, can do the job perfectly well on braid if operated properly.

BTW, a couple of years ago this unit still cost <$2K.
I got several lines tested on BOISC machine a couple of years back.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2014 at 9:56pm
PJay View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Oh, yes, every one of my snapper pinfish captures on braid in the last 3 years or so has had the line tested on the BOISC machine; submit a sample of the line with the catch card. I just give them the first 10-20m of line attached to the leader.
PJ
Page  <123>