Help taranaki fishing

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote damotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help taranaki fishing
    Posted: 31 Aug 2014 at 3:38am
damotron View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Last 6 times been out at new plouth port nothong but sharks and cuda i need help... it sucks. Somebody please steer me right direction tried bell block reef, oakura waitara opposite the white bridge all depths and straight from port can someone please give me coordinates of a good spot as ive been out 6 times in 3 weeks and notjing its starting to put me off fishing all together...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote damotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2014 at 3:40am
damotron View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Ive troed all baots and burley think need coordinates guys please justa few spots nown good ones
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2014 at 8:58am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I don't know the Naki, but this time of year on the west coast can be frustrating with sharks and couttas often very hard to get past. A few more weeks and it will be all on.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pirate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2014 at 9:11am
pirate View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Things will heat up with snapper off the port and around npl soon as the water warms prior to spawning. what depths are you trying?, you should pick up something out at 60-80mtrs at the mo. A few people i know are getting terikihi, gurnard and snaps in those depths. I don,t really fish town much these days, The coast kicks its butt.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spaceships Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2014 at 1:04pm
spaceships View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I fished out from newplymouth a few times when my old man lived there last year. We did all right around those islands by the port a few times. Otherwise just keep moving till you find the fish. Ha ve you got a depthsounder/fishfinder?
When fishing the west coast further north if not sure what depth to try I would start under 10m and just try for a while. Keep moving out and trying different depths until you get onto something good. Normally found snapper out deeper this time of year, but gurnard can be right in close.
And sometimes you gotta fish through all the sharks until you find something better. At least on the west coast its always gonna be interesting. Hang in there.......nearly spring.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote damotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 12:12am
damotron View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thankyou fot the replys guys awesome i have been around 45m deep opposite the white bridge just a ton of cudda lol. 18m down near oakura not much luck. And 25m near bell block reef went 50m out from sugarloafs not to flash maybe need to go deeper am going out this wednesday hopefully be a bit better
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote vr4king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 6:43am
vr4king View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

30-40mtrs right behind sadleback there is good gurnad to be had......But like others have said this time of the year can be painfull

It will warm up soon
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cigar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 7:36pm
Cigar View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by spaceships spaceships wrote:

I fished out from newplymouth a few times when my old man lived there last year. We did all right around those islands by the port a few times.
Isn't it a reserve around the islands? Trolling only when I was down there (no bottom fishing).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spaceships Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 8:00pm
spaceships View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Cigar Cigar wrote:

Originally posted by spaceships spaceships wrote:

I fished out from newplymouth a few times when my old man lived there last year. We did all right around those islands by the port a few times.
Isn't it a reserve around the islands? Trolling only when I was down there (no bottom fishing).

actually I think you are right but we did stay out of the reserve area