have you ever caught a tagged fish?

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nickstaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: have you ever caught a tagged fish?
    Posted: 30 Aug 2014 at 6:29pm
nickstaa View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Has anyone on here ever caught a tagged fish? And if so what was the info about it? How far had it traveled? When was it tagged? etc.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2014 at 8:02pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

couple of work mates caught 2 fish others on here have reported of fish being caught,
all have grown a couple of cm and few have moved more than a kilometer of where they were tagged,
some have been at liberty for over 3/4years...

i heard of one tagged fish re-caught in HB, i have a funny feeling that it was someone being stupid,
our snapper may move around but you think about the comm's would love to be able to class HG stocks as part of other areas, this way they can slaughter a larger area without being reduce some place else..

the quicker they divide SNA 1 into 3 or 4 section the more control MPI would have over each area, not saying they would encourage this as it would be detrimental to the way they think...

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fishyrich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2014 at 8:07pm
fishyrich View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I once tagged a Blue shark off Raglan and after a month I caught it again!! 20 miles away from the original location. Haven't seen it since though!! haha
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nickstaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2014 at 8:19pm
nickstaa View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

When you caught it, how long Had it been tagged for?

And I'm sure you'll catch it again
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fishyrich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2014 at 11:19pm
fishyrich View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

No, I caught the blue shark and tagged it myself for the first time, then recaught it a month later and released it with the same tag left in place. I was fishing 20 miles from the original location that i caught it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nickstaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2014 at 6:26am
nickstaa View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

[QUOTE=shyrich] cght it and tagged it myself for the first time, then recaught it a month later and released it with the same same tag left in place. cheers[/QUOTE

What kind fish did you tag? Did you catch it in the same place?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sid fishus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2014 at 10:15am
sid fishus View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

??
I always tell the truth about things that never happened
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sid fishus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2014 at 10:16am
sid fishus View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I could swear then answers to your questions are there already.
I always tell the truth about things that never happened
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2014 at 10:46am
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Originally posted by nickstaa nickstaa wrote:

Has anyone on here ever caught a tagged fish? And if so what was the info about it? How far had it traveled? When was it tagged? etc.

i thought you were referring to the few thousand snapper tagged in the HG on estimates of returns and distance traveled...

but it appears your might be interested in game fish like sharks marlin kingfish, is this your thoughts???? 
Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2014 at 10:57am
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My partner tagged a kingy (about 7 kg) near Motiti Island (BOP) about 5 years ago and it was recaptured a couple of years later off New Plymouth, can't rember whether it had grown much.

About 30 years ago I caught a tagged Kahawai at the Waipu Rivermouth, sent the tag to MAF but never heard anything back from them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bite Time Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2014 at 11:15am
Bite Time View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

T&R'd a kingfish Landbased Devils Pt, Mercury Bay, recaptured 12 mths later by commercial down of Hawkes Bay. Recaptured a small Stripey outa Whangaroa that had been tagged BOI the day before.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nickstaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2014 at 7:12pm
nickstaa View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

[QUOTE=sid fishus] I could swear then answers to your questions are there already.[/QUOTE

Yeah my bad, phone problems
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nickstaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2014 at 7:14pm
nickstaa View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Lethal Lethal wrote:

[QUOTE=nickstaa]Has anyone on here ever caught a tagged fish? And if so what was the info about it? How far had it traveled? When was it tagged? etc.

i thought you were referring to the few thousand snapper tagged in the HG on estimates of returns and distance traveled...

but it appears your might be interested in game fish like sharks marlin kingfish, is this your thoughts???? 
[/QUOTE

I was interested in everything. Mainly interested in how far they travel, and grow, thanks for your info
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nickstaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2014 at 7:16pm
nickstaa View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

[QUOTE=Marligator] My partner tagged a kingy (about 7 kg) near Motiti Island (BOP) about 5 years ago and it was recaptured a couple of years later off New Plymouth, can't rember whether it had grown much.

About 30 years ago I caught a tagged Kahawai at the Waipu Rivermouth, sent the tag to MAF but never heard anything back from them.
[/QUOTE

True that's a bit of a journey , I wonder if it traveled around the top of the North Island or through the cook straight.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2014 at 7:27pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

how keen are you nickstaa?
ok here is a sight which will tell you more than we could ever tell you,

http://www.nova.edu/ocean/ghri/tracking/

here is another of which was followed by quite a few on here while the tag hung in there,

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/article/mako-shark-makes-epic-journey/

lots of info on sharks and this one in particular was very interesting to us as it was a Mako Tagged and released in NZ...
select the shark named "Carol" she's done quite a few miles...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nickstaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2014 at 7:37pm
nickstaa View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks lethal those sites look good.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote meathunter72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2014 at 8:09pm
meathunter72 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I was on a Jap Longliner off Fiordland a few years back, we caught a Southern Bluefin that had been tagged in Australia as a juvinile. My memory is hazy on the details but I think it might have been at large for a few years maybe put on 20-30 kg. 
CSIRO in Aus sent me a t shirt though. Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NZFisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2014 at 8:37pm
NZFisher View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I've caught two tagged fish now. 

the first was a NIWA tagged snapper and I was fishing with the NIWA guy who'd tagged it, a year earlier in the same place or about a kilometer from where he'd tagged it. Even more deja vu, my mate caught a tagged snapper the same day, that he'd tagged as well. Fuity.

The second was a 16kg kingfish I landed in the Chesters Fishing comp last year. It had been tagged by Richard Hart about 3 miles away from where he'd tagged it at Little Barrier. The video of its capture is here: 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 2:09am
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tockly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 9:48am
tockly View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

we get tags in bluefin every year that have been tagged in south oz,had them westcoast south island and east coast northisland,we send them in get a hat or shirt and the info system works well
Page  12>