Backbone elite popper rods

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote southernwanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Backbone elite popper rods
    Posted: 29 Aug 2014 at 9:43am
southernwanderer View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yes they are cheap, and they feel stiff as a crow bar, but are they value for money?
Will they "swim" a stick? Or are they just a crude poopper rod?
I know some people have and do use them, what are your opinions on them?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Structfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2014 at 10:40am
Structfab View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

they are just a crude popper rod, but stiffer. I really disliked mine, upgraded very early on. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Helmsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2014 at 10:49am
Helmsy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Structfab Structfab wrote:

they are just a crude popper rod, but stiffer. I really disliked mine, upgraded very early on. 

X2
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2014 at 10:54am
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I used to use one for heavy straylining in foul country, was good for levering fish out of the kelp. Didn't cast that well though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote southernwanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2014 at 11:11am
Silver
Silver

Has anybody tried one of the next generation Backbones? I've seen the jig rods, and like the colours, and wondering if the next gen rods maybe an improvement, or same. Its that or or try and find a "cheap" offshore t-curve, thinking the 10-24kg model ??? I just want something for a backup rod, or off the rocks, as south island kings don't seem to go much over 30-40lb, i don't see the point in skull dragging them out with a Kaibutsu Shocked
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Helmsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2014 at 11:21am
Helmsy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I had a Van Staal popper rod for a couple of years which had a much nicer action for a similar price.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Helmsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2014 at 11:22am
Helmsy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

These are awesome value for money too, much softer through the tip and will work sticks and poppers

http://www.fullonfishing.co.nz/contents/en-uk/p2201_Okuma_Andros_PE4_-_6_80_2_piece_Popper_Rod.html
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nomis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2014 at 11:39am
Nomis View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Mate the new ones are awesome make sure you check them out in your local.. Nothing like the old memories of the back breaker back bones of old. Defiantly worth a look if your after value for money. Id own one.....
I'll act my age when im 69
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote southernwanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2014 at 11:43am
Silver
Silver

Yeah i have looked at the Andros rods, they have a nice soft tip for a popper rod, but they're a heavy arse rod, and only retail for 30-50 bucks less than the T-curve, which i would go with if i was to spend that muchConfused
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote southernwanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2014 at 11:51am
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Nomis Nomis wrote:

Mate the new ones are awesome make sure you check them out in your local.. Nothing like the old memories of the back breaker back bones of old. Defiantly worth a look if your after value for money. Id own one.....
yeah nothing in Christchurch yet, retailers are tring to flog off the old rods, before putting the new stuff outWink so may have to bide my time, any idea what they going to retail at?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nomis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2014 at 12:06pm
Nomis View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Will be around the same money mate! hopefully on shelves soon!!! 
I'll act my age when im 69
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2014 at 12:34pm
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

the 2014 BackBone is a vast improvement in both look and feel…..we had the opportunity to give the entire range a facelift and that is what we did…Thumbs Up…enjoy!

Just FYI - The "popper" rod has been superseded by a more user friendly and versatile "top water" rod…..Tony Orton who is a topwater loony rates the new Backbone very highly and he has used all the big names.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote southernwanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2014 at 12:38pm
Silver
Silver

Any idea on when they will be in southern regions Kezza?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2014 at 12:43pm
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

They are available now SoutherWanderer…as you say it's up to the retailers to make them available depending on their cycles……ask your local for ETA?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote southernwanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2014 at 12:48pm
Silver
Silver

Big smile Then the race is on Big smile who will be first to make the sale Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TOSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2014 at 3:33pm
TOSF View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

I have been using and testing the "New" Backbone Elite Topwater 832 for about 4 months (been using a demo rod).
To be 100% honest I am a tackle whore and love expensive, shinny kit BUT this rod has just been awesome, its bloody cheap (I think around $250 retail) has a great action for 70-120grm stick baits, small poppers and heaps of back bone to lift bigger fish. It has been a hell of a lot of fun using this rod and it makes me happy every time I have caught fish on it and knowing it works well at a fraction of the cost of some of the bigger named rods.
Before all the PRO's get on the wagon, yep its no Carpenter BUT for the price its bloody amazing value for money. 
Like I say we have been using it for 4 months, no issues with and its been catching fish and has a great action for the buck!
I think these are in the shops now?
http://www.facebook.com/TonyOrtonSportFishingOffshoreAdventures
www.offshoreadventures.net
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sid fishus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2014 at 3:54pm
sid fishus View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

So an actual stickbait rod, from one of the main manufacturers finally??

Rather than all the popper rods they have been saying 'work for stick baits too!'  (Tui add, only if it is a sinking bait) for the last few years. 

Finally.......   ?

Smile

Dont mean to sound too persnickety, but I have run into quite a few telling me  a rod is good for stick baits when it isnt.

However you should know Tony and I will seek one out for a bend, it is a good thing if there is something to work touchy floating stickbaits in that price bracket, I havent seen anything else yet.
I always tell the truth about things that never happened
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TAZEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2014 at 4:05pm
TAZEE View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

If you guys can't find the Rod at your Local i'm happy to help you out

This new 2014 Range is outstanding......and Real Value for Money.....

Tazee

WWW.WSLAURIE.CO.NZ

The Best fishing spot In New Zealand
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TOSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2014 at 4:19pm
TOSF View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Sid Fishus, do not expect a carpenter for $250, its a value for money rod and has a great action. My one sits proudly in the rack with rods at over 3-4 times the price, love it and it comes on the boat every day.
Its a great entry level rod and a great second rod for the experienced guys wanting a rod for their mates to use. 
Love to hear your feedback when you give it a bend!
http://www.facebook.com/TonyOrtonSportFishingOffshoreAdventures
www.offshoreadventures.net
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2014 at 4:57pm
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Matched with a Saragosa 10,000SW this combo will br hard to beat as far as bang for buck goes....👍

Page  12>