Scott Radian 9' 5# vs Sage Method 9' 5#

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JustFish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scott Radian 9' 5# vs Sage Method 9' 5#
    Posted: 28 Aug 2014 at 6:38pm
JustFish View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I have always been a sage man and have never been to keen on the scott rods finding them a bit soft in action but having heard the rave about the Scott Radian I was conned into including it in my hunt for a new rod.

I Normally fish a sage ZXL 586-4 as I have found the 8'6" rod stiffens the action a tad over the 9' option but I have found in the wellington breeze the ZXL lacks a bit of punch.

Deciding to upgrade to a rod with better punch I hit the Paddock today with a mate armed with the 9' 5# Sage Method and the Scott Radian 9' 5#.

Comparisons between two casters were:

Caster one with the Sage method found that the rod performed best at mid range through to full line casting. A stunning rod but lacking the light touch needed for short close range work.

Caster Two made the same comments.

Caster one with the Scott Radiun found instantly this rod was outstanding at short range work. He then proceeded to punch through the mid range with out adjusting at all and right on through to full line out the guides.

Caster two found exactly the same .

The Sage Method went back to the shop and the Scott Radian came home.

What an absolutely stunning rod, perhaps the best rod I have ever cast.

I now believe what the hype is all about. The scott radiun will do everything needed and then some.

"Best Rod Ever"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote o Neill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2014 at 12:16pm
o Neill View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Ok my understanding is the sage Method replaced the Sage TCX as the mid to long range casting rod not perhaps designed for short casts.
Did one of your casters with the Radian have to change their casting technique from short to long range casting and while you say a full line is long range what is short range? ie how far?Surely a short cast technique is not the same as required to cast a full line and which line? they do vary in length.
"Best rod ever" will get things going on here so much so you miss spell one of the rods names!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2014 at 5:21pm
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by JustFish JustFish wrote:

I have always been a sage man and have never been to keen on the scott rods finding them a bit soft in action but having heard the rave about the Scott Radian I was conned into including it in my hunt for a new rod.

I Normally fish a sage ZXL 586-4 as I have found the 8'6" rod stiffens the action a tad over the 9' option but I have found in the wellington breeze the ZXL lacks a bit of punch.

Deciding to upgrade to a rod with better punch I hit the Paddock today with a mate armed with the 9' 5# Sage Method and the Scott Radian 9' 5#.

Comparisons between two casters were:

Caster one with the Sage method found that the rod performed best at mid range through to full line casting. A stunning rod but lacking the light touch needed for short close range work.

Caster Two made the same comments.

Caster one with the Scott Radiun found instantly this rod was outstanding at short range work. He then proceeded to punch through the mid range with out adjusting at all and right on through to full line out the guides.

Caster two found exactly the same .

The Sage Method went back to the shop and the Scott Radian came home.

What an absolutely stunning rod, perhaps the best rod I have ever cast.

I now believe what the hype is all about. The scott radiun will do everything needed and then some.

"Best Rod Ever"

Glad to hear you love the rod.  They truly are an awesome rod.  

Funny that you should say that you say you always found Scott rods a bit soft.  Iv always found Sage rods too stiff for real world trout fishing.  Great throwing a whole line in a carpark, but that's not real world trout fishing to me.   Horses for courses however and each to there own. Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JustFish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2014 at 5:47pm
JustFish View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by o Neill o Neill wrote:

Ok my understanding is the sage Method replaced the Sage TCX as the mid to long range casting rod not perhaps designed for short casts.
Did one of your casters with the Radian have to change their casting technique from short to long range casting and while you say a full line is long range what is short range? ie how far?Surely a short cast technique is not the same as required to cast a full line and which line? they do vary in length.
"Best rod ever" will get things going on here so much so you miss spell one of the rods names!
Fair enough it's a radian. Wink 
I would gather you have not cast a radian going by your questions.
The difference between a 20' cast and a 40' cast including the leader is nothing.
No change in cast or effort and that's what made the rod so comfotable to use and stand out.
The radian will throw 1/2 to full line just as well as the method BUT...
The Radian will also drop it on a dime at 20' which the method could not do.
I haven't found a sage that could fish long and short as well as the Radian can since the old SP model. You normally have to buy a stiffer longcast rod and a soft presentation rod.
As I have said I was always a Sage rod man going back some 25 years but the Radian has changed that.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2014 at 5:44pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

During Saturdays casting clinic I had a chance to cast other participant's Method, One and Radian.     Compared with the Radian the others just felt a bit lifeless.    I too was impressed how the #5 Radian handled the various casting distances including long TRC casts.     Definitely my preference.     One other thing I liked is the non ground blank which ensures that there are no weaknesses from over grinding.      Well done Scott.

Rainbow       
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skunk'd_again Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2014 at 10:45pm
skunk'd_again View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I won't attempt to wade into the casting debate as I haven't cast the Radian and I'm also a rubbish caster. Thumbs Up 

But as an aside, the Scott's for me at least aren't anywhere near as pleasing aesthetically. And I can't bring myself to spend loads of $$$ on something I don't like the look of. But I might change my stance if I did cast it and found it to be a truely orgasmic experience. LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 8:46am
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Rainbow Rainbow wrote:

During Saturdays casting clinic I had a chance to cast other participant's Method, One and Radian.     Compared with the Radian the others just felt a bit lifeless.    I too was impressed how the #5 Radian handled the various casting distances including long TRC casts.     Definitely my preference.     One other thing I liked is the non ground blank which ensures that there are no weaknesses from over grinding.      Well done Scott.

Rainbow       
For someone who doesn't go with all the new spangled ideas  , high praise indeed.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 10:11am
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

It is my assessment of the three rods and not a general departure from my "old" spangled belief that it makes more sense to learn to cast well before prancing around with a $1000+ rod.    On the river there is nothing more pathetic than to watch a bum caster "abusing" an exquisite high end tool.    

Rainbow

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 10:22am
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Completely agree about the casting and the posing around,  just don't think I've ever heard you sing the praises of the latest , greatest rod . "Spangled" was just my attempt at a weak pun, please excuse me Herb.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 11:13am
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Nothing like a bit of humour.      Fly rod improvements are progressing in tiny increments which are mainly noticeable in weight reduction and fewer breakages.     Actions are a constant merry-go-round changing from slow to fast and back again.     Fly rods are an exercise in minimalism with the main aim to reduce blank weight.   To achieve that makers use less of higher modulus graphite, which results in thinner walls/shafts.     Trouble is the higher the modulus the more brittle the fibre so makers make rods with multi modulus parts.     Newer rasins help but rods still break as I have seen only last w/end.     Lets face it lighter rods feel nicer and if they come in an action you like than it is happiness made in heaven........as log as you can make such a sweet honey sing.

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 4:19pm
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I reckon un-sanded spiral blanks look beautiful married to minimalistic bindings, like Rainbow, I agree it adds strength, man I had some massive hits on rocks backcountry with the S4 I had previously that I was amazed it survived. Have to agree as well, the Radian has a real 'special something' to it's action. I'm not one for marketing hype.. (Oh wait I have worked in marketing for 20 odd years!).. but the "fast meets feel" phrase Scott bandy about seems quite true to me anyway.

Not sure I really like Sage’s direction the last few years with the whacky red, bright green and other various shades in their blanks, (the ONE being the exception as I think it’s nicely finished) but I fully know what you mean, like a woman on your arm.. a rod has to look the goods to the owner as well as deliver that knockout delivery!

https://www.youtube.com/user/troutboynz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skunk'd_again Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 6:40pm
Silver
Silver

It is my assessment of the three rods and not a general departure from my "old" spangled belief that it makes more sense to learn to cast well before prancing around with a $1000+ rod.    On the river there is nothing more pathetic than to watch a bum caster "abusing" an exquisite high end tool.    

Rainbow

Yes the rubbish casters should be forced at gunpoint to cast with a... what was it... Kilwell Champion? LOL

I reckon as long as they (I) can admit their faults it's not too pathetic.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 10:08pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

True right. A broom stick would be my punishment.     Unfortunately tackle dealers keep them in a perpetual state of self denial.      There are thousands of bum casters out there but only a handful will seek help.   Some even make a virtue of their faults.    One of the great mysteries of the male ego.   

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skunk'd_again Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 11:44pm
Silver
Silver

I can only assume for most people they're content if their casting is adequate enough to catch or have a chance with most of the fish they encounter. A lot of people (myself included) fish purely for pleasure and take a light hearted approach to it, hence I don't yearn to reach the pinnacle of the sport. But I still enjoy owning a few expensive rods, cos it adds to the enjoyment.

The only fishermen that grate me (besides the ones choppering upstream overhead) are the ones who get smug or think they know it all when they don't (not at all meaning to insinuate you are one of these Rainbow).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2014 at 7:56am
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Why would you want to own high end rods if you don't want to use them to their full potential???????????
In a long lifetime of fishing I have yet to meet a fly fisher who does not want to be a better caster.     
Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2014 at 8:42am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Why would you want to own high end rods if you don't want to use them to their full potential???????????
In a long lifetime of fishing I have yet to meet a fly fisher who does not want to be a better caster.     
Rainbow

Possibly for the same reason that most of us would like to own a Maserati even tho we probably lack the skill to drive it to its full potential.
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MarkE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2014 at 9:32am
MarkE View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

^ Yep, some people just appreciate having nice things :)
Sea Strike 18' Centre Console - Under Construction....Build Thread here
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2014 at 12:20pm
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by bazza bazza wrote:

Possibly for the same reason that most of us would like to own a Maserati even tho we probably lack the skill to drive it to its full potential.

Nail,  head, hit! BazzaWink

Im a reasonable caster, that owns an array of rods from $1,000+ to $100 cheapies.  Sure I know I could learn study and practice to be a better caster but I don't own the anorak and notebook that it takes to become a flyfishing nerd that has oodles of certificates to there name in regards to casting.  

Sure id love to be a better caster, but do I want to sacrifice my weekends learning to be a better caster, rather than just getting out there in the fantastic NZ countryside and actually catching fish? I think we all know the answer!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skunk'd_again Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2014 at 6:13pm
Silver
Silver

I like the analogy Bazza.

Fraser - Yeah it's a bit of a time and priorities thing for me too. I used to consider myself a perfectionist, but since taking up fly fishing... wow, I was kind of blown away by how many anglers take the perfection thing to another level. I guess it's a sport / pass time that draws in the perfectionist type, as small factors can make all the difference. For me, I have a wide range of hobbies, and fly fishing isn't one that I choose to get too OCD with perfectionism-wise. I think if I did, it'd rob me of a little enjoyment on those occasions (most of the time) when everything didn't fall into place. Those casting competition things certainly hold no appeal to me, and sap the romance from it all for me. Thumbs Down

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dan19585 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2014 at 1:30pm
Dan19585 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

There is absolutely no downside to becoming a better caster. None.
And becoming a better caster will also make you a better fisherman, and you will catch more fish.
If someone is happy with their level of casting ability, that's fine. But to mock others who try to improve their skills isn't. On average, the casting in this country isn't very good, and a lot of people don't realise how easy it is to make some big improvements.
Dan
Page  12>