Reels

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bonzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reels
    Posted: 27 Aug 2014 at 7:02am
Bonzai View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Guys an Gals, I have recently moved to Vanuatu and purchased a boat to chase game fish.
I am after some advice on what reels I should be looking at ie Shimano Tica Penn etc. I am looking to purchase 3 x 50w and two 80w. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote swordfishsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2014 at 7:12am
swordfishsteve View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Hi bonzai
Nice place to live and fish, from all the reels I see for repairs from the islands the most reliable would be shimano tiagra and penn internationals are both brands i would recommend, service them regularly and they will give you many years of trouble free service, best to stay away from the cheaper low quality reels, cheers swordfishsteve
REEL REPAIR GUY - Swordfishsteve, That Is Who I Am and That is What I Do : See More At :www.reelrepairguy.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bonzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2014 at 7:15am
Bonzai View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for that I had a feeling that may be the answer. What are the Fin Nor like in comparison? 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote swordfishsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2014 at 7:21am
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

The finnors i have seen recently would not compare to tiagra and penn internationals, they would fall into the lower quality reels category, the tropics is a very harsh environment, high salinity, very corrosive atmosphere, so look after your gear regularly, good luck swordfishsteve
REEL REPAIR GUY - Swordfishsteve, That Is Who I Am and That is What I Do : See More At :www.reelrepairguy.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2014 at 7:46am
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Bonzai - 

Love Vanuatu…due a return visit sometime methinks!!

As a suggestion maybe ask around the local charter operators and find out what they are using and why….I think you will find some pretty compelling information that way.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bonzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2014 at 7:54am
Bonzai View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks I will do I know a couple there. When ya come over let me know catch up for a beer and fish. Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2014 at 7:57am
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Pretty sure the Waterfront Bar has a standing reservation!….Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bonzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2014 at 8:37am
Bonzai View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Haha yes it does or the Wahoo bar in Havana. 

Thanks for your guys help im new to this game fishing. Im originally from Christchurch so not alot down that way in the way of big game. So any help is great.
I have brought a 659 stabi with twin 115 yams on the back. Its set up with game poles etc just need the tackle to go with it.

Cheers

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2014 at 8:49am
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Hi Bonzai.. have you met up with Nigel Kittow over there? he only moved there 2-3 months ago, he has a 32ft in Havana harbour. Works part time as a vet there, used to have a practice in Matamata.
make yourself known to himWinkhe has a place opposite me in Whangamata and i look after it for him.

Will definately be over there for a fish with Nigel as soon as he is sorted

Cheers
Kevin
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Adam Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2014 at 9:41am
Adam Scott View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Duels might be worth a look, easy to increase drags on them if you decide to switch to braid, just add a couple of drag springs which they come with.
Heavy anodizing and dont need much in the way of servicing which would be handy up there.
I have Penns and Shimanos which are great, but I have 1 Duel, got it in 1998, its got 68marlin over that time including some long fights on big fish. Its only ever had 1 service(by swordy steve) ever... Drag setting now is the same on the scales as when I got it. Can complain at that.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote alan syme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2014 at 7:55pm
alan syme View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

As has been said by others.

From experience, game reels cop a hiding in the tropics, and you will be using them for long hours on a regular basis. Highest risk of failure is when you or a client is attached to a large fish of your dreams. 

Buy new Tiagra's in my opinion.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bonzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2014 at 4:21am
Bonzai View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Kevin,

No I haven't met him as yet. I will make myself known to him. I work offshore so am in and out on a regular rota. Always keen to meet up with keen fisherman!

Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote swordfishsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2014 at 7:03am
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Bonzai
Buy New Shimano Tiagras or Penn Internationals in my opinion, both will perform well for you , they have the best back up support for parts and warranty issues, have the best reliability, the best performance, the best residual Value for re-selling, there are many so called no and better game reels making an appearance onto our markets, why would you take that risk of trying something new when you have the 2 Best Reels already in front of you?
Trust me from what I have seen inside some of these New engineered game reels and they are Not what they are marketed as. PM me for details as I do not want to offend anyone here!Wink
Anyway up to you, cheers swordfishsteve.... 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote billhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2014 at 9:34pm
billhunter View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Go see the guys that run crusoe fishing adventures they will help you out.. But pretty sure theyre running all tiagras over there. Cant go wrong with em.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jedijay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2014 at 12:48pm
Jedijay View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Just came back from a week in Vanuatu and went out on Crusoe, yep they are using tiagras 50 and 80. Awesome fishing over there, would love to go back for another trip.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bonzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2014 at 12:51pm
Bonzai View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey Jedijay yep ive just kitted myself out with the same. How did you get on?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jedijay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2014 at 1:05pm
Jedijay View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Got about 5 mahi, 2 small YFT and heaps of skippies. Had a few marlin hits, but couldn't get the hook up. The weather was a bit rough as we had wind against a strong current. It was a good day out and the wife enjoyed it.