Kuaotunu labour weekend?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 700 LTR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kuaotunu labour weekend?
    Posted: 26 Aug 2014 at 4:20pm
700 LTR View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

We have booked a place here for labour weekend going to take the boat, never fished there before wondering what the best technique's will be? will drifting round the bay with soft plastics and slow jigs produce fish what depth should i be looking in?  or am I better to head out toward the Islands and burley up?

Any advice much appreciated
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Merci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2014 at 4:59pm
Merci View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Mercs are right on your doorstep. My pick would be to go there. Epic fishing!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 700 LTR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2014 at 5:02pm
700 LTR View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Whats the go there? find some foul ground and burley up?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2014 at 5:46pm
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

PM Ramprage. Scott has a place down there and is a top man with lots of local knowledge.

Don't drive past Kuaotunu reef early in the morning (and just outside it on the sand) without flicking a few softies around. It's my favourite place for yak fishing and there's always a few snapper and kings about and some bloody good ones amongst them.

Great Merc is a good option as is Karopuke, Red Merc and all the islands in between. Have a look at your charts and anywhere with a bit of structure and some current is worth a look for either softbaiting or strayling. Couple of spots would be the Reef off the end of Blackjack/Otama and Bumper point for straylining. You need tide and wind aligned so that's key.  Hopefully one of the locals can give you some advice too. The place is a gem and there's so much great fishing on your doorstep - look forward to the reports!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 700 LTR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2014 at 8:31am
700 LTR View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Thanks for the Advice
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2014 at 5:47pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Can someone remind me how to find kuaotunu reef, its about 500m out from the ramp?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Johnny Watson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2014 at 10:55pm
Johnny Watson View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The reef is a pretty big area around the boat ramp itself, and extends out a couple hundred meters. Plenty of rocks and kelp. Can see it clearly on Google Earth . Looks the goods. I have always driven past due to boat traffic, but would be ideal in the quieter times.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote worksux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2014 at 7:54am
worksux View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Great place that reef  at dusk, heaps of berley and whole straylined pili or squid. I've pulled many big snaps there. Just make sure your comfortable coming back into the ramp at dark, can be quite daunting if you don't keep to marker on the rock and the two on the hill.
I'll be over there Labour weekend also, so if you need a few pointers pm me for my number.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 700 LTR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 8:56am
700 LTR View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Well not long to wait now.....hopefully the weather plays ball!