Kilwell warranties?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote competition Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kilwell warranties?
    Posted: 22 Aug 2014 at 2:58pm
competition View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Anyone else unfortunate enough to submit something through to Kilwell for warranty? Lifetime warranty apparently wont cover my rod because its ten years old? Who else has had this sort of problem? Never had this with Sage, they sent my dad two rods even though it was fifteen years old!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2014 at 3:33pm
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thats very unusual .......I have had excellent response from kilwell.......had rods over 15 years old and they re lacquered epoxy for me for no cost.. 
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2014 at 3:45pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Have had multiple repairs/replacements with Kilwell. Cant rate them highly enough. One product was clearly a problem so they replaced it with an upgrade.

Not sure what the issue is with your rod. Keep in mind the warranty is not on wear and tear (that Im aware of), that would be ludicrous to expect that from any company.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2014 at 4:40pm
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Same here no problems dealing with Kilwell.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2014 at 5:00pm
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I've had no problems replacing rods and general service from kilwell, very easy to deal with for my part.
It is only my overwhelming natural humility that mars my perfection.

Captain Asparagus, Superhero, Adventurer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2014 at 5:53pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by competition competition wrote:

Anyone else unfortunate enough to submit something through to Kilwell for warranty? Lifetime warranty apparently wont cover my rod because its ten years old? Who else has had this sort of problem? Never had this with Sage, they sent my dad two rods even though it was fifteen years old!

Not being negative but just stating a fact and that is; most Lifetime Warranties only apply to the life of the product cycle, so if that rod is no longer currently manufactured then they are under no more binding obligation... read the fine print... but hey ten years life on a rod is pretty good.Thumbs Up
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote competition Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2014 at 8:31pm
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for the support,
I am still in the dark why it aint covered by warranty.
I guess I'll just wait and see if they change their mind.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coochdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2014 at 10:11pm
Coochdog View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Same as the others. Awesome service from Killwell they do far more than is required and some.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MarkE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2014 at 10:38pm
MarkE View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What is actually wrong with the rod?
Sea Strike 18' Centre Console - Under Construction....Build Thread here
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MarkE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2014 at 10:43pm
MarkE View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Catchelot Catchelot wrote:

Not being negative but just stating a fact and that is; most Lifetime Warranties only apply to the life of the product cycle, so if that rod is no longer currently manufactured then they are under no more binding obligation... read the fine print... but hey ten years life on a rod is pretty good.Thumbs Up

Is that Kilwells policy? seems a little bit strange to me. Most other companies will repair or replace with the current or similar model.

Sea Strike 18' Centre Console - Under Construction....Build Thread here
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2014 at 12:09am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by MarkE MarkE wrote:

What is actually wrong with the rod?
This is the question on all of our minds.......is it a breakage of some kind or cosmetic?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Scuba Skip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2014 at 1:30pm
Scuba Skip View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I hope lifetime means lifetime.Thats one of the reasons i just brought a new talon jig stick. Damn nice rod too btw!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Helmsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2014 at 2:24pm
Helmsy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Pays to remember that a warranty is not a guarantee, it only covers manufacturing faults. Generally if a rod has lasted 10 years then it is pretty safe to say that it was manufactured pretty well.

Due to the load put through rods, if there is a manufacturing fault with the blank it will generally reveal itself within the first few uses. Wear and tear, misuse, point loading etc would not be covered by most warranties unless it states an unconditional warranty.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Men In Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2014 at 2:57pm
Men In Black View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by competition competition wrote:

What exactly is the nature of the claim after ten years, if it due to faulty components there won't be any issue. If the rod suddenly broke after ten years use then it would more than likely be from damage of some sort and not a workmanship or a faulty blank issue.

www.synit.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2014 at 3:13pm
Titanium
Titanium

My kilwell pink panthers(original rocky) are over 20 years old and still going strong in nz.....to look at them you wouldnt believe they are that old.....i was always careful with them and cleaned.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kilwell Sports Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2014 at 9:58am
Kilwell Sports View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

The Kilwell Lifetime Warranty is against faulty materials, components and workmanship, for the lifetime of your Kilwell Branded product. Should you ever have a claim, we ask you to return the item to us with proof of purchase, your contact details, and a description of the problem. Warranty applies to original purchaser only. Accidental damage, neglect and fair wear and tear are not covered by this extended warranty. 

The rod in question was returned to us with no information. There was no name or address, and no explanation of what had happened. Our assessment of the rod was the breakage was caused by some other unfortunate accident, not from normal use, so was therefore not covered under the warranty. Unfortunately there was a communication break down and the customer was not informed before the repair was done, and that it would not be covered under our warranty. Our apologies for this and we trust the outcome was more than satisfactory for the owner.

Other companies may charge you handling fees or even freight. Kilwell won’t do that.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Men In Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2014 at 10:20am
Men In Black View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by Kilwell Sports Kilwell Sports wrote:

The Kilwell Lifetime Warranty is against faulty materials, components and workmanship, for the lifetime of your Kilwell Branded product. Should you ever have a claim, we ask you to return the item to us with proof of purchase, your contact details, and a description of the problem. Warranty applies to original purchaser only. Accidental damage, neglect and fair wear and tear are not covered by this extended warranty. 

The rod in question was returned to us with no information. There was no name or address, and no explanation of what had happened. Our assessment of the rod was the breakage was caused by some other unfortunate accident, not from normal use, so was therefore not covered under the warranty. Unfortunately there was a communication break down and the customer was not informed before the repair was done, and that it would not be covered under our warranty. Our apologies for this and we trust the outcome was more than satisfactory for the owner.

Other companies may charge you handling fees or even freight. Kilwell won’t do that.

Great explanation and can't ask for better service than that...ClapClap
www.synit.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote competition Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2014 at 1:27pm
Bronze
Bronze

Just would like to confirm what Kilwell has stated. A miscommunication was really the issue. 

Being honest when I read all the great reviews and support of their brand I was thrown back and became uninterested to pursue my claim.

But Kilwell have done more than I asked for in response, and I couldn't recommend them enough. 

salt water fly @ waitemata harbour anyone?