Overseas angler licence goes up

Page  123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote kingfishers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Overseas angler licence goes up
    Posted: 19 Aug 2014 at 11:44pm
kingfishers View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Stuff News.

Overseas anglers who want to fish for trout in this country for more than a day are going to have to pay extra for the privilege.

From the start of the new season on October 1 a non-resident licence would be introduced at a cost of $160 - a third more than New Zealanders pay, Fish & Game NZ said.

Visitors would still be eligible for 24-hour licences, but not for New Zealand adult whole season, family or winter licences.

The non-resident licence was introduced to ensure visiting anglers paid their fair share towards fisheries management, Fish & Game chief executive Bryce Johnson said.

“Non-residents have been getting a bargain - the benefit of a fishery they haven’t really paid for – compared with the Kiwi angler who has contributed to the ongoing management of fisheries both through fishing licence fees and taxes."

Until now overseas anglers, who put pressure on fragile back country fisheries, had not really contributed to fishery management, or habitat protection such as Water Conservation Orders.

Extra funds from the non-resident licence were ring-fenced to be used on back country fisheries, which were favoured by non-resident anglers, Johnson said.

The introduction of the non-resident licence brings New Zealand into line with the US and some other countries.
"My mind has gone fishing, ask all questions tomorrow"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote eynon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 12:27am
eynon View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

whats the estimate of visitors not bothering with licences
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Troon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 9:04am
Troon View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Probably miniscule compared to the citizens of this country and their methods are probably more law abiding than many in this country. There are some guides who are also rangers so there's a check system there.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 10:53am
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

About time!
Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 10:53am
Pole Dancer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by eynon eynon wrote:

My guess would be virtually nil.
www.clarkreid.co.nz   FFF Certified Casting Instructor / Umpqua Designer Tier
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 11:11am
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Watch here http://www.flylife.com.au/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=17&sid=7e86a84962943d9511cea8bd12d33bf5 to see how the Aussies take the news. "Breach of our human rights" always tickled my warped sense of humour...
You cant eat my toast fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 11:21am
Titanium
Titanium

I don;t really have a problem with new policy and I would agree with Troon that Guides tend be some of the best "stewards" Fish and Game have in many roles.

iI also believe that overseas  anglers have, by and large, always paid more for their fishing than locals on the basis we pay the same amount for 12 months fishing as they do (when they buy a season license and they usually do) for 2 weeks to one month.

Having said all of that, I have canvassed many clients overt the years and not one has ever found issue with having to pay a tourist license and most US anglers are accustomed to doing so even state by state.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 11:25am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Snuffit. Snuffit. wrote:

Watch here http://www.flylife.com.au/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=17&sid=7e86a84962943d9511cea8bd12d33bf5 to see how the Aussies take the news. "Breach of our human rights" always tickled my warped sense of humour...

Bless their little convict socks!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 11:34am
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Who wants overseas fishers anyway? - except a small number of guides. I would like to see overseas trout fishers discouraged - because there is too much fishing pressure with residents.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 11:43am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by letsgetem letsgetem wrote:

Who wants overseas fishers anyway? - except a small number of guides. I would like to see overseas trout fishers discouraged - because there is too much fishing pressure with residents.

Seriously Bro? And you're based in Rotorua? your fishery is one of the most economically demanding in the nation, in fact, almost certain, the highest. As an ex Councillor for Eastern Fish and Game I do know the proportion of funding your fishing is provided with due to the impact of overseas anglers. There would be a hell of a lot less releases into the put and take fisheries the Rotorua Lakes represent if it were not for tourists, and a large proportion of those buying those licenses don;t even fish those lakes. In some ways the locals ride on the back of the tourist dollar to a large extent. Add to that the economic benefit to Rotorua in general with tourist dollars for accommodation, sightseeing, restaurants and more provides many benefits/jobs for locals.

It not all about being pissed off that an American took your spot at the pipe, you have to be smart enough to see a bigger picture as well.Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 11:43am
Titanium
Titanium

I'm glad people are saying there is a "small number of guides" though, some say there's too bloody many! LOLLOLLOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 12:02pm
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Read it as well Nick had to laugh, bottom line is FFS - it's simply outstanding value even if it was quadrupled! IMO it's not enough!
https://www.youtube.com/user/troutboynz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 12:20pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I don't think the argument is really about value. More about does a visitor feel like they are getting 'raped'. There was a visitor survey published a while back about the 2011 RWC and that was one of the regular and strong feedbacks. Whether that does long term damage or not, who knows? I know when I was fishing in Alaska some years back that the 'tourist' fees and extra restrictions didn't overly bother me and wouldn't stop me returning, but some of that feeling will depend on how the extra fees & conditions are sold. In Alaska is was about the locals 'subsistence fishing' as part of their culture etc. Easy enough to sell on that basis. In NZ we can't so easily use that as a fresh water 'excuse',so just create a really strong message about how those extra fees are going to help strengthen the fishery they are enjoying. Include a brochure on the work that is being done to improve water quality and fish numbers etc. I suspect that is all that is probably required to offset any negative sentiment as long as the message is well formed and delivered.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 1:16pm
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Because of the nature of our [mostly accommodating and friendly] people, convenience of facilities (DOC huts & whatnot) and superlative fishing there a number of pretty much subsistence anglers who arrive, buy an old dunger, drive on our tax payer funded roads, sling a tent up, eat a can of beans and fish all day for months on end. Their net input to the economy is sweet f-a. That is their right of course, but you have to admit that they get to take advantage of all us working b*ggers who pay tax to allow them such freedoms.

Hitting them with a little extra on the license just makes me feel so much better that i have to work while they;re fishing!!!! LOL

[there is a slightly serious undertone there]
You cant eat my toast fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Silvio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 3:18pm
Silvio View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

About time for this licence to be put into place. I am sure F&G will use extra money wisely.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 4:47pm
Titanium
Titanium

Because of the nature of our [mostly accommodating and friendly] people, convenience of facilities (DOC huts & whatnot) and superlative fishing there a number of pretty much subsistence anglers who arrive, buy an old dunger, drive on our tax payer funded roads, sling a tent up, eat a can of beans and fish all day for months on end. Their net input to the economy is sweet f-a. That is their right of course, but you have to admit that they get to take advantage of all us working b*ggers who pay tax to allow them such freedoms.

Hitting them with a little extra on the license just makes me feel so much better that i have to work while they;re fishing!!!! LOL

[there is a slightly serious undertone there]

Fair point Nick, but they are, in the overall picture, a very small number. We'd have to increase a lot more than this to get any benefit from them. But I do take your point.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DezzyTooToo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2014 at 10:00am
DezzyTooToo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Clark Reid Clark Reid wrote:

Quite the opposite ,
As it is now most don`t bother , so increasing the cost wouldn`t help .

Most familiies who visit here are on a budget so spending extra hundreds of dollars on licensing for Mum , Dad and thier kid/kids to catch some trout on thier travels just would be financially possible .
At most we would get a $20 day license from them .

We need to encourage more tourists` to take up trout fishing , not discourage them !!!

I love cats ......... I just can`t eat a whole one .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Te Awa Kairangi Angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2014 at 10:50am
Te Awa Kairangi Angler View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by DezzyTooToo DezzyTooToo wrote:

Originally posted by Clark Reid Clark Reid wrote:

Quite the opposite ,
As it is now most don`t bother , so increasing the cost wouldn`t help .

Most familiies who visit here are on a budget so spending extra hundreds of dollars on licensing for Mum , Dad and thier kid/kids to catch some trout on thier travels just would be financially possible .
At most we would get a $20 day license from them .

We need to encourage more tourists` to take up trout fishing , not discourage them !!!

Why?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DezzyTooToo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2014 at 11:17am
DezzyTooToo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Why ?

With 3.2 million tourists predicted for this year , if we could get 10% of them trout fishing and get them to pay say ..... $50 for a visitors trout license , then Fish and Game would end up with an extra $16 million .
 That would be pretty handy for us local trout fishers  .

Well that`s my thoughts .

I love cats ......... I just can`t eat a whole one .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Troon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2014 at 11:37am
Troon View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

320,000 anglers? Hmmm. And even if it's $50 how do we get them to pay if you say they don't now. People flout laws - simple as that. Just look at the poaching that goes on - freshwater and saltwater. Expecting feral behaviour to change is a hard ask.
Page  123>