Micro Jigging?

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 3rnzir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Micro Jigging?
    Posted: 19 Aug 2014 at 6:28pm
3rnzir View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Got the micro(small) aspect.
But how Micro(light weight) can one realistically go down to with a standard overhead jigging setup?
 Reason I ask is the on another thread on this forum,a guy caught some nice Gurnard in the Manukau using 18g jigs.
Spinning setups seem to be what I can find on YT using MJs.
Peace.Via superior firepower..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mmmWord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2014 at 6:55pm
mmmWord View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Rest assured, you'll have to buy an entire new set of gear to use micro jigs.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 3rnzir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2014 at 7:46pm
3rnzir View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thought as much MMMWord.
Cheerz anyways cobber.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishing Addiction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2014 at 8:07pm
Fishing Addiction View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I use an okuma nano matrix 100g rod and it works the 20g lures mint with an okuma komodo 274 baitcaster. I use the same rod for inchiku, slow pitch and micro jigs as well as light jig heads for softbaits and cyclops rigs. Amazing rod
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 3rnzir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2014 at 8:36pm
3rnzir View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

That sounds like a versatile setup FA.
Maybe even double up as lake trout rig too boot.
Cheerz for that.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishing Addiction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2014 at 8:52pm
Fishing Addiction View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeh I really like it. It has certainly surprised me. It has a soft tip to work the very light lures but also quite parabolic and great to fight with
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2014 at 9:08pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Been trialling a set up from berkley thats aimed at the micro jigging market this comming season,the rods extremly good matched with a new reel but the new braid is what's blown me away,its a sinking braid ( woven not fused) and used with a good fluoro leader was getting a 7 gram micro jig down to tne bottom in 40 mtrs quicker than my 1/2 ounce s/b combo.
Being able to get a light jig down to the bottom then work it with a fluttering action is quite appealing to me,as well as getting good bottom time before needing to retrieve it.
Ive been casting it ahead of the drift in the deep water and walking it back to the boat same as a s/b,the setup is a spin set but the braid will be perfect on a baitcaster.
While I'm not a fan of overheads I'll be giving them ago with the new braid
2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mmmWord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2014 at 9:12pm
mmmWord View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by 3rnzir 3rnzir wrote:

Thought as much MMMWord.
Cheerz anyways cobber.

Heh, I was just being sarcastic really.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote southernwanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2014 at 9:55am
southernwanderer View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Embarrassed How are people rigging their mirco jigs? With small trebles(mini grim reapers), or small assist hook set ups (fanky lures/ butterfly/ slow pitch) etc?
Seems like micro jigging would be good fun on shallow water blue cod/trumpeter, just not sure on how to rig the jigs Confused
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Structfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2014 at 10:30am
Structfab View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by southernwanderer southernwanderer wrote:

Embarrassed How are people rigging their mirco jigs? With small trebles(mini grim reapers), or small assist hook set ups (fanky lures/ butterfly/ slow pitch) etc?
Seems like micro jigging would be good fun on shallow water blue cod/trumpeter, just not sure on how to rig the jigs Confused
small assist hanging around the belly area of grim reapers works well on snapper drops, I tend to only treble the rear when trolling for kahawai or similar.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote southernwanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2014 at 11:38am
southernwanderer View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

what are you using for assist cord/hooks etc Strucfab? If you don't mind my askingEmbarrassed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2014 at 11:54am
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'm going to give this a try at the weekend, after calling in to Rod & Reel yesterday and getting a few jigs. I got a 7g, 8g and a 12g jig and some assist hooks as they recommended swapping the original hooks for those. I'm going to use a Diawa SB rod which is rated for 5-12g lures so seems about right (and I happened to already have it). I've just put some Sufix832 6lb braid on my reel, and will be putting 15lb flouro on when I get it all rigged up later today.

Any tips on fishing technique would be very welcome.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Structfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2014 at 12:14pm
Structfab View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

what are you using for assist cord/hooks etc Strucfab? If you don't mind my askingEmbarrassed
basically the same as inchiku assits, 80lb chord

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Structfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2014 at 12:17pm
Structfab View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Structfab Structfab wrote:

basically the same as inchiku assits, 80lb chord

these work mint:
http://www.marine-deals.co.nz/jigging-hooks/gamakatsu-510-assist-hooks-for-jigging
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2014 at 12:49pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

I have these premade hooksets arriving in the next shipment(6weeks approx) Made using 80lb kevlar and 1/0 hooks(same as i use on all my inchikus)

An easy fit to any small jig using split rings

www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote green guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2014 at 9:43pm
green guy View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

yes sir ill take a bunch of them Kev
http://www.facebook.com/hauraki.hillbillys
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Elpescador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2014 at 2:04pm
Elpescador View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

have been using micros for a couple of seasons now and they have been very effective. found that the hook setups very much like the ones Kaveman has displayed are good and there is a gamakatsu version that has "fishskin" as the flasher. they seem to outfish the plain ones.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sid fishus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2014 at 2:45pm
sid fishus View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

eeeraaerwerwreerqwrrrgrrgrgrgrgrgggggggggghhhhhhhh.......

Can I avoid letting the marketing hype get to me...... Fish skins on 7gm jigs, sinking braid, new super light rods, stella 1000 set ups.......

Its all just too exciting.....

I wil have to sell all my jigs, boxes of soft baits, madais, inchikus im8 graphite and nan schemozzzzllllleeee rods in order to buy it all.

Damns!

Tongue
I always tell the truth about things that never happened
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote C A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2014 at 4:12pm
C A View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

the new abu micro jigging rod looks the business!!! this micro jigging looks like its going to be the next big thing, time will tell!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TCG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2014 at 4:28pm
TCG View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Storm gomoku rods have been a hit in Australia, micro jigging snapper and all sorts of other species, they look awesome
Page  12>