New cellphone tower at Awhitu north.

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New cellphone tower at Awhitu north.
    Posted: 19 Aug 2014 at 4:27pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It would seem that Vodafone has just put into operation a new cell ph tower at Awhitu north to improve cell ph coverage in huia. That will be great I hope it extends coverage outwide as well. Supports upto 4g devices.
Wonder if telecom have a tower up there.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2014 at 4:43pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I thought this was going to be a shared mast for all of them, but that was just what someone told me -not from an official source.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2014 at 5:24pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Denise Yates from community board says Vodafone put tower up as part of rural broadband initiative (RBI) - I get a great signal now on Vodafone in Huia and outer Manukau Harbour. Denise also said she was told other providers will use tower as condition of RBI funding. My IT guy tells me Telecom (sorry Spark) list a repeater there but is not active yet - pity as I am on telecom - apparently should only be a few weeks away - will post here when it comes up.
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2014 at 5:38pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cheers MacSkipper. I'm also on spark so would be keen to here they are up and running.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Finatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2014 at 5:41pm
Finatic View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'm on Vodafone but get shyte signal if anything at all around Huia. Did get 1 bar up in the Karamatura track area on Sunday though. Strange!
What's the cheapest type of meat? Dear balls. They're under a buck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2014 at 5:48pm
Titanium
Titanium

Finatic not sure about that - my neighbour in Huia (upland rd) is with Vodafone and raving about signal now - none before tower went up - do you need a new phone? My telecom phone shows really good signal (and can use for dialing 111) but says not registered on network when I dial non emergency - still good if fire in house!
But as I say Telecom should be up and going soon Yee Haa!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mouthu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2014 at 6:58pm
mouthu View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

that's good then, I can be standing on Paratutae Island and get a telecom signal (from onehunga I guess) and if I move a metre to one side I can get a Vodafone/ 2 degrees signal on my spare phone...... bugger, there'll be no getting away from the world soon.
Yes it was me, I screwed it up for everyone.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Zambezi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2014 at 10:22pm
Zambezi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If it is an RBI tower then Spark will put a site on it unless they've already got coverage for the areas that people live.

I highly doubt any providers will tune their sites to cover anyone out wide.

But I've never had an issue in the area except for on the bit to road down to Whatipu.

But once 700mhz is free'd up. I bet on Sparks 4g to have the better coverage.

Any and all opinions are my own as per usual.
A man’s comfort in life can be measured by the quality of the toilet paper he uses to wipe his arse.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Zambezi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2014 at 10:23pm
Zambezi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

And I've had service out wide well over 100m mark if I recall correctly, maybe even further than that.
A man’s comfort in life can be measured by the quality of the toilet paper he uses to wipe his arse.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Zambezi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 9:18am
Zambezi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes Spark has got kit on the RBI tower it will be live before summer and some of the bits just happen to be pointing out wide.

Current coverage is provided from a site just north of Karekare and covers a "semi circle" from just past the bar out to between 24ish & 30ish km and down to the gap on the south head.

A lot of gaps south of the bar/less coverage so hopefully the new kit should help plug that gap.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Finatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 9:27am
Finatic View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by MacSkipper MacSkipper wrote:

do you need a new phone?
I bloody well hope not!LOL Current phone is an iPhone5
What's the cheapest type of meat? Dear balls. They're under a buck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote full sacks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 8:01pm
full sacks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

how long will it be before skoti puts smudges undies on the top of the tower???
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 8:40pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Don't give him ideas, he doesn't need any help at all in the tricks dept! Big smile
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Skoti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 8:55pm
Skoti View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hmmm this gives me ideas Big smile LOL
COVID is no joke !
One former patient was so brain damaged after , he thought he won an election he lost by 7 million votes .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2014 at 8:30pm
Titanium
Titanium

Telecom coverage just started in Huia!
My wife came home and told me so I turned my Telecom mobile on and I have a good connection now - calls and internet should be at good at Little Huia, and in outer Manukau Harbour now. Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wefaknis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2014 at 8:52pm
Wefaknis View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I had 4 bars of reception at 30 m the other day.... thats never happened before, i normally only get limited reception at 70 m plus..

Cheers
Steve
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2014 at 9:03pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

But does it work at little huia? One of you locals are going to need to make a run to confirm. Lol
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2014 at 9:08pm
Titanium
Titanium

I will drive out and check Wednesday - should be good Telecom coverage in whole area now that new repeater opposite is active. Vodafone has been up and running a while now but they built the repeater so got first dibs on coverage.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote v8-coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2014 at 12:27pm
v8-coupe View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Finatic Finatic wrote:

Originally posted by MacSkipper MacSkipper wrote:

do you need a new phone?
I bloody well hope not!LOL Current phone is an iPhone5

Ahh. There in lays your problem.
Legasea Legend Member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2014 at 8:40pm
Titanium
Titanium

Drove around Huia and little Huia today - good Telecom signal in these areas now, able to sit in lounge/kitchen in Huia and talk on Telecom mobile for first time. Vodafone has good signal now to - long overdue and good for safety. Cheers
Page  12>