squid virgin

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cypri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: squid virgin
    Posted: 17 Aug 2014 at 10:20pm
cypri View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

hi guys
im sorry but you have probally heard all this before but we want to catch a squid,, i have no idea where to go and what to do, i was hoping someone may be willing to point me in the right direction,we live in waiuku which maybe the wrong coast but dont mind going to the east side or auckland one weekend to give it a try , thanks guys
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Betty Boop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2014 at 10:21pm
Betty Boop View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

My neighbor regulary fishes Squid around Rakino etc. He dropped off a "Broad" Squid on Sunday afternoon and it provided two hearty meals done in my wok with ginger/chilli and garlic marinade.Thumbs Up
Last week I joined an Anti-Social support group........They won't talk to me!

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2014 at 11:03pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Mart, I hear the Auckland waterfront works well land based, search through some of the threads here with regard to moon phases etc.  It's good fun catching squid but I've never really gone out of my way to catch them.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cypri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 8:19pm
cypri View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

cheers mike , i only want to catch one , just to try it out and say i have caught one ! i will have to eat it too but hey ho Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishoCam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2014 at 11:51pm
FishoCam View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I caught my first the other day and this is what I have found through the forum etc.
There is a great video series on youtube with adam clancy and the yeehaa guys.

Only go when the conditions are right. This firstly means the water must be super clear so dont bother going after days of rain or rough weather in the shallows.
You want to go with the most full moon possible.
You want to fish the incoming on the shallow spots like Orakei and mission bay areas. Although I know guys do well in some spots on the outgoing but still trying to work that out.
You want to look for areas with rocky and kelp/weedy sections but with sand around it. 

As for the technique, hit up you tube. Buy good light jigs around the 2.5 to 3.0 weight, cast out and let sink then kind of soft bait back towards you if that makes sense?

Again thats what I have found and it worked Thumbs Up
If your ever around panmure the yeehaa guys gave me some great advice and answered heaps of questions
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingfishers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2014 at 2:07am
kingfishers View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Really informative video.. Just watched it on youtube. Thanks for sharing
"My mind has gone fishing, ask all questions tomorrow"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2014 at 8:53am
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Take out some thawed out pillies, drag the jig hooks through the bait, then fish the jigs
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cypri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2014 at 9:29pm
cypri View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

thanks for the info guys - most helpfull cheers