Replacing my Screen and other repairs/mods

Page  123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wide Load Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replacing my Screen and other repairs/mods
    Posted: 16 Aug 2014 at 6:14pm
Wide Load View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

You may remember about 7 years back I build an ali boat based on a Pelin Intruder plan.

I made the screen from tinted polycarbonate. It seemed like a good idea at the time, however I have since learnt that polycarb isn't UV resistant. It is under quite a large amount of stress and has started to craze on the bends and has split at the fastener holes.
Time for a replacement.
I have lost the template that I made at the time of build so I laid paper over the screen and marked the edges. 
While I was at it I thought I'd give the motor a run so pushed the boat outside to drop the motor in a flush drum. Once finished I hooked the trailer up to the wagon to back into the shed. I forgot to drop the rocket launcher and was reminded with a bang..............Bugger!

I bent the mount near the hinges and pulled the bolts through the hinge. The anchor light mount also broke off.

Looks like I have a bit of extra work to do!
I remember buying the hinges from So-Pac but don't recall where I bought the LED anchor light, some research required.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wide Load Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2014 at 6:27pm
Wide Load View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I taped the pattern to the kids table tennis table and drew a 25 x 50mm grid to allow me to plot it into a drawing program to produce a new trial template.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote funandfunction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2014 at 7:17pm
funandfunction View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

That anchor/steaming light looks identical to my Hella except mine is on a hinged base. Since it's only the base on your's that's broken, why not make your own base by welding a small piece of alloy tube the right ID to take the pole onto a flat plate with bolt holes to pick-up the rocket launcher? Maybe a long shot, could see if Hella do the base as a part but not likely.
There are two types of people in the world: those that divide people into two types and those that don't.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wide Load Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2014 at 3:22pm
Wide Load View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cut out a template from coreflute today, we'll see how good my measurements were.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2014 at 3:32pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Polycarbonate can be UV resistant, depending which grade you use. Unless you are expecting something big to hit the screen I'd personally always use acrylic though. Polycarbonate is incredibly tough, literally bullet proof, but it is quite soft and scratches easily. You mentioned cracking around the fixing holes, what fixings did you use? never use countersunk screws, although I have to admit learning that the hard way myself.

Did you bend that yourself? vey nice job on such a large piece, not at all easy to get it looking good.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wide Load Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2014 at 6:52pm
Wide Load View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Kevin.S Kevin.S wrote:

Polycarbonate can be UV resistant, depending which grade you use. Unless you are expecting something big to hit the screen I'd personally always use acrylic though. Polycarbonate is incredibly tough, literally bullet proof, but it is quite soft and scratches easily. You mentioned cracking around the fixing holes, what fixings did you use? never use countersunk screws, although I have to admit learning that the hard way myself.

Did you bend that yourself? vey nice job on such a large piece, not at all easy to get it looking good.

The original is 4.5mm polycarb which we just pulled round and fastened as we went. It's under a heap of pressure, it rings like a drum. I then went back and drilled the holes oversize and fitted ureseals with a large flat washer on the inside.

We have been making truck bug deflectors for a couple of years now so I'm a bit more confident with heat forming acrylic. I did think of using the powdercoaters oven to heat the whole screen, then fitting hot. I'm always a bit wary drilling acrylic.

The next step is to remove the old screen and see if the template fits.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Betty Boop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2014 at 10:11pm
Betty Boop View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I've just replaced mine  and was fortunate to use Cambrian Plastics Acrylic sheet oven using the old screen as a mould. slotted into the old alloy mouldings as well Clap
Last week I joined an Anti-Social support group........They won't talk to me!

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wide Load Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2014 at 8:49am
Wide Load View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Walu,
Do you know the temperature and length of time in the oven?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Betty Boop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2014 at 11:35pm
Platinum
Platinum

I'll ask Wednesday and post answers Geek I cocked up the first screen by moulding from the wrong side, so it ended up too big. However we used it for a mould and moulded onto the inside.
I now have a mould for a Viscount screen lolololWink

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote H8_4DS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2014 at 6:38pm
H8_4DS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

polycarb is best as it can be cold formed. the sheets i supply people are uv resistant on both sides. some you can get are only one side. Tinted polycarb is expensive tho compared to acrylic.
Acrylic can only be bent using heat. If you need to drill holes in either, use a drill bit 2mm or so over the size of the bolt/screw. This allows for thermal expansion, that both materials suffer from. do not overtighten the bolts/screws. This allows the window to contract and expand.put a rubber washer under the head of the bolt/screw to allow it to move.

if you want scratch resistant polycarb, then use MR10 grade. Its what i use for the guys that come in with their drag racing cars.
Formally Known as nvmyvl
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote H8_4DS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2014 at 6:40pm
H8_4DS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

oh, and approx 80 deg C for 10 mins, will get it nice and soft. any more and you will be fighting with a limp piece of plastic.

Formally Known as nvmyvl
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wide Load Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2014 at 9:40pm
Wide Load View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks H8
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Betty Boop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2014 at 10:10pm
Platinum
Platinum

The oven runs at 160deg. Time depends on thickness being used and amount of malebility that is required to achieve the desired conformity.Geek

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wide Load Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2014 at 9:09pm
Wide Load View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I pulled the old screen off on Friday.

It looks like the pattern will be a good fit.

I've bought a new anchor light for the rocket launcher and stripped all the electrics off it.
While its off the boat I think I'll make a targa top. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wide Load Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2014 at 6:51pm
Wide Load View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I had a play with an acrylic offcut in our local powdercoaters oven yesterday.
10 minutes at 120 degrees seems to be ok.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ohsoslow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2014 at 7:04pm
Ohsoslow View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Rando question, but does heating it up make it soft? In the respect, you put your hands on it and you'll leave fingerprint indentations etc? Or is it just enough to bend to shape?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wide Load Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2014 at 7:56pm
Wide Load View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

it's not so hot that it gets that soft, just pliable.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wide Load Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2014 at 10:11pm
Wide Load View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I've had to make a few changes to the pattern and cut another.

Then cut the acrylic 

Made a former to cook the screen on.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wide Load Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2014 at 10:22pm
Wide Load View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

We laid a sheet over the former and into the oven for 10 minutes.

The whole thing was then carried out to the boat and the screen offered up to the boat and held in place as it cooled. I don't have pics of this as I was a bit busy!

Back to the workshop and fitted the top capping.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Wide Load Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2014 at 10:31pm
Wide Load View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Next step is to attach to the boat, using ureseals to allow for a bit of movement.

The last thing will be to sikaflex the screen/boat joint.
Then onto the rocket launcher repair
Page  123>