Out n' About - FAR NORTH

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Far North LBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Out n' About - FAR NORTH
    Posted: 11 Aug 2014 at 7:43am
Far North LBG View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

For all those that enjoy New Zealand's most productive Land Based Fishing Region.

A forum of how the current far north fishing is, tips and tricks to get the fish on the bricks and general information for all LB fishos that wish to do a mission to the Far North.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far North LBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2014 at 7:49am
Bronze
Bronze

The old man went to Coopers Beach rocks (north end) for a Snapper fish on Saturday. Came home with 4 great eating 40cm fish and released a few others. Mention that there was a lot of bait fish (small KY) in the burley. Water temp 15.6deg
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Naki-Fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2014 at 7:52pm
Naki-Fisher View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice idea
Look forward to your reports
The 20lb+ Snapper club No Longer Eludes me Broken with a 12kg new PB
Goal for the next 12 months: catch another 20lb+ Snap and watch it swim away
Hook a King LB here in the Naki.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pisky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2014 at 7:57pm
pisky View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Plenty of good sized snapper at Karikari peninsular.Big Kahawai baits stray lined in a berley trail will do the damage 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far North LBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 7:41am
Bronze
Bronze

Great fish pisky, makes getting out in the chill better than bed LOL

Got out Saturday, morning low tide.
very slow until the rats turned up and a single hoodlum which proceeded to bust me off.
came home with 2 KY for the smoka and 4 small snaps for tea.
Appreciate today, it's an opportunity to do well from what we learnt yesterday
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far North LBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 8:07am
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by pisky pisky wrote:

Plenty of good sized snapper at Karikari peninsular.Big Kahawai baits stray lined in a berley trail will do the damage 

Straylining baits into the burley trail over foul is certainly getting the results. On saturday i was with the old man and hes still sinker mad so on his 2nd snag i tied a couple of 6/0s trokars straight on to his 50lb leader baited up toss it in the burley at his feet and said "there you go  old fella" next thing.. WHAMMO his first snapper for the day
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CapnHook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2014 at 11:43am
CapnHook View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Far North LBG Far North LBG wrote:

Straylining baits into the burley trail over foul is certainly getting the results. On saturday i was with the old man and hes still sinker mad so on his 2nd snag i tied a couple of 6/0s trokars straight on to his 50lb leader baited up toss it in the burley at his feet and said "there you go  old fella" next thing.. WHAMMO his first snapper for the day

Which Trokar patterns do you favour Edward?

If you're not on the edge you're taking up too much room.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far North LBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2014 at 12:15pm
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by CapnHook CapnHook wrote:

Originally posted by Far North LBG Far North LBG wrote:

Which Trokar patterns do you favour Edward?

I use TK13 for straylining and TK8 for livebaiting.
Also this season i am going to give the TK619H offset a go with slidebaiting so follow this topic.

http://www.fishing.net.nz/asp_forums/sliding-around_topic103741.html

Regards

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pisky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2014 at 9:49pm
pisky View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Braved the stormy conditions in Doubtless bay yesterday and although we only caught 4 snapper my mate did a Pb off the rocks at twenty pounds.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2014 at 12:18pm
Mars View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Good to hear Pisky. I'm up there for a week next month so hoping for similar results (maybe more snapps though!)  Wink. Any pics?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Far North LBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2014 at 4:21pm
Bronze
Bronze

Baitfish, Kingis (up to 12-14kg) and JD are at Pukenui Wharf Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote chad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2014 at 11:01am
chad View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice one, I will be heading up there in a few weeks for a lash. Cant wait.
https://www.facebook.com/nzsurfcasting
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Zambezi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2014 at 1:28pm
Zambezi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Anyway to get to the north Houhora head?

Next time I'm up that way keen to give henderson bay a proper bash. Looks like a nice steep beach when I was trying to stop the truck from getting stuck and washed away by the tide.
A man’s comfort in life can be measured by the quality of the toilet paper he uses to wipe his arse.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tas-tackle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2014 at 1:06am
tas-tackle View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

so how is the fishing out in middle of the bay...???

http://www.tas-tackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote hellfish.aza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2014 at 12:14pm
hellfish.aza View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

anyone headed up othe far north this weekend? after trawling the forums and Google earth for weeks i figure it could be easier tagging along with someone rather than heading out into the abyss alone..i will be anywhere from the cape down to keri peninsula
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2014 at 7:41pm
Mars View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I'll be heading up there on Saturday for a weeks fishing. Not in a position to invite others along though as I'm tagging along myself! Sorry about that.

Anyone got the latest oil on the Far North ledges? We'll be fishing both coasts as weather allows, and chasing kings, snapper and trevs. Have quad in tow and enthusiasm to burn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BeachedAsBro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2014 at 9:00pm
BeachedAsBro View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hey guys - here's a quick write up by Pico on Karikari... http://www.nzlbg.co.nz/showthread.php?166-Karikari
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish caught will we realise we can't eat money.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 8:47pm
Mars View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah, thanks BeachedAs. I read that a few days ago via a Facebook link. Hope some of those big moochers are still around for us. Should be wicked if the weather plays ball.