Which reel

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Motorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which reel
    Posted: 10 Aug 2014 at 5:18pm
Motorhead View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Would like to get a bit more serious with Stick baiting. Have looked at various combo's regarding rods/reels and having recently purchased a rod I think will be up for some fun, I have narrowed my options down to either one of the following:

1. Daiwa Saltist 4500H
2. Shimano Saragosa 6000SW

I am leading towards the Saltist, purely for the 6.2:1 ratio,balanced size with rod and I like the size/weight of it.

Any opinions on positives and negatives of either welcome.

Cheers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rockz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2014 at 5:48pm
rockz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

what rod are you putting it on?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Motorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2014 at 7:10pm
Motorhead View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by rockz rockz wrote:

Shimano Ocea Offshore 732 saltwater to start with.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Structfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2014 at 8:31pm
Structfab View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The Saragosa's are good value for $, I'm bringing the 8000 in for a 2nd budget topwater set as it's the high ratio also, terefic specs and good price. Though i got aftermarket handle+knob as no bearings in original, & I'm not a fan of the shimano rubber knobs.
  • Model SRG8000SW
  • Mono Capacity 8kg / 210m
  • Power Pro Capacity 40lb / 270yds
  • Gear Ratio 5.6:1
  • Retrieve Per Crank 107cm
  • 5 + 1 bearings
  • 12kg drag power
  • Weight: 680g  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jigalot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 9:28am
Jigalot View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Where are you getting the Saragosa 8000 from? Looking at a new top water reel myself and still trying to workout wether to get the 6000 or the 8000.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jonocoogee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 10:10am
jonocoogee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have the 10k and its awesome. Only 103cm retrieve. But great size. Knocked over some 25+ kilo kings the other week and never felt undergunned. Def the new saragosas are great value for money.
TAS - Its a real disease
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Structfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2014 at 8:29pm
Structfab View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Jigalot Jigalot wrote:

Where are you getting the Saragosa 8000 from? Looking at a new top water reel myself and still trying to workout wether to get the 6000 or the 8000.
I bought it in from the USA
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MarkE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2014 at 10:36pm
MarkE View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What about the New model Catalina???
Sea Strike 18' Centre Console - Under Construction....Build Thread here
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Structfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2014 at 11:03pm
Structfab View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by MarkE MarkE wrote:

I would've liked to have the extra $ to warrant a catalina for sure, but the saragosa cost me about half that. So i'm guessing the Catalina is out of budget of the original post too, judging by the Saltist / Saragosa. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2014 at 12:04am
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Structfab Structfab wrote:

The Saragosa's are good value for $, I'm bringing the 8000 in for a 2nd budget topwater set as it's the high ratio also, terefic specs and good price. Though i got aftermarket handle+knob as no bearings in original, & I'm not a fan of the shimano rubber knobs.
  • Model SRG8000SW
  • Mono Capacity 8kg / 210m
  • Power Pro Capacity 40lb / 270yds
  • Gear Ratio 5.6:1
  • Retrieve Per Crank 107cm
  • 5 + 1 bearings
  • 12kg drag power
  • Weight: 680g  
 "I'm not a fan of the shimano rubber knobs."..............me too mate.......they give me blisters.
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MarkE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2014 at 8:40am
MarkE View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I would've liked to have the extra $ to warrant a catalina for sure, but the saragosa cost me about half that. So i'm guessing the Catalina is out of budget of the original post too, judging by the Saltist / Saragosa. 

Just over $500usd  landed for the 4500H.
Sea Strike 18' Centre Console - Under Construction....Build Thread here
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Structfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2014 at 9:39am
Structfab View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Just over $500usd  landed for the 4500H.
NZ$320 for the gosa landed. Sure it's not top dog, and I'd prefer another Saltiga if we're being honest
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2014 at 12:57pm
Fishthat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

+2 for the Catalina
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote strx7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2014 at 2:54pm
strx7 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Penn Conquer is also worth a look.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Shiekurbooti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2014 at 3:17pm
Shiekurbooti View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Value for money what about the new season Spheros Sw 10000, hell of a smooth drag, 10kg drag from memory.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PE Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2014 at 7:39pm
PE Pete View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Motorhead Motorhead wrote:

Originally posted by rockz rockz wrote:

Shimano Ocea Offshore 732 saltwater to start with.

I have just got the same rod, came as a combo with a Stella 5000. Haven't fished either of the reel you mentioned but both are really good reels.
Tight lines
PE Pete