Lure advice

Page  123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stonefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lure advice
    Posted: 09 Aug 2014 at 11:21am
Stonefish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hey guys, got a question I'd like some opinions on.

I'm just starting to get into gamefishing, did my first season this year (apart from a few charters in the past).

So I'm gonna start accumulating a few lures and other gear. In terms of lures I've done a fair bit of reading and just wondering where I should be starting? I grabbed a couple of lures from BA in his clearout (lumo sprocket and zuker 5.5) (he also threw me a teaser - massive thanks BA!). 
I've heard the Joe Yee super plunger and apollo are pretty wicked lures, but seem pretty rare and I'm not interested in paying $250 usd on ebay for one, are there any decent imitations out there of these? I've seen that Top Gun lures in aussie have imitations and wondering what they're like? But are there any others?

I realise people have a lot of differing opinions on lures so any advice into what lures to start out getting would be great. (and I have a real bad magpie syndrome and like collecting stuff so this could get expensive!! all good though).

Chur!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote segador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2014 at 4:28pm
segador View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

you need some bonze lures mate support a kiwi lure maker apachi,kawhai,hercules etc 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2014 at 5:03pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

First questions are - what sort of boat, how is it rigged, and what speed will you troll at? Lures that work well off the back of a game fishing launch with big riggers etc at 8 or 9 knots may be lazy buggers being towed from the rodholder at 7knts in a 6m tinny. For a launch I would a resin head Legend Merlin in green/gold in the spread every time, but it is a straight runner and I don't know how it would run at lower heights and speeds (ask Obald). My personal favourite is the Hooker All American in red/white/blue and it has enough action to swim a little slower, but I don't know many people that run them other than myself. If you can I would try and borrow a small selection of lures and try running them off your boat down the harbour or whatever to see which ones will have a good action at your speeds and with your heights.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2014 at 6:19pm
the angler View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You are off to a good start courtesy of b.a., both those lures are proven performers and have probably caught more marlin in nz then any other lures, I wouldn't get to caught up into the hype of lure buying especially expensive ones , save the money for gas .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stonefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2014 at 6:59pm
Stonefish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Cheers guys. Tagit, fishing mainly from 5.7m tinny, with riggers. Trolling at 7knt
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bluewater5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2014 at 7:02pm
Bluewater5 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I feel sorry for you Stonefish, I hope you have deep pockets, it can be an expensive game. As others have said, "use lures that work behind your boat" !! G Force, Trophy and Bonze all make very nice, effective lures. Invest in a good live bait tank set up and tuna tubes, its always worth grabbing a few livies on your way out, these can be the difference between a strike and a caught fish, weather it be tagged or going into the smoker.

Best of luck!!
I own 501 lures, but i can only run 5 at a time. What to do??? Man I have some sleepless nights!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2014 at 7:02pm
sink View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Maybe a sprocket in evil and you are done.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwi phill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2014 at 7:37pm
kiwi phill View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi

Pricing lures by brands are always going to be expensive...I manufacture lures here at Patumahoe in south Auckland

Sent me a private message and I will give you leads to see my just sold Marlin .Tuna Lures...

Mine are fully rigged with quality stainless steel hooks / swivels / nylon

As I see no other or very few rig lures......Strange......!

Last order was for 13 lures .....One order.....

Cheers Phillip Collis

Sverdfisk .......Marlin in Norwegian
My Parents ...Parents Came from Norway...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote alan syme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2014 at 8:13pm
alan syme View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by the angler the angler wrote:

You are off to a good start courtesy of b.a., both those lures are proven performers and have probably caught more marlin in nz then any other lures, I wouldn't get to caught up into the hype of lure buying especially expensive ones , save the money for gas .

agree with the angler.

spend time reading peter pakula's on line info, where, how, techniques etc.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stonefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2014 at 8:19pm
Stonefish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by alan syme alan syme wrote:

]

agree with the angler.

spend time reading peter pakula's on line info, where, how, techniques etc.

Yeah, I've been reading peter pakula's stuff, its awesome, so much good info there
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Festerooni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2014 at 9:01pm
Festerooni View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

We changed over after a season running zukers and B/M freedom grand slam and other lures, with a couple fish in the gear but none landed. Till this season just been, First trip out with a Bonze spread landed our first stripy on a Bonze 'Grimmel'. Second trip to have another fish chasing a 'Money for Nothing' (Bonze). Had another fish up on the third trip out that pulled the hook during the fight once again on a 'Grimmel'. 

Not rubbishing other lures but the change we made, made large difference for us.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Twocan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2014 at 2:17am
Twocan View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

From my limited experience conditions make a huge difference. If you are running slant faced lures in 20 knots a couple of metres of swell with the boat rolling all over the show they aren't going to run well, where as heavier cup faces will.

However if it's calm some of the lures with greater action on them may run better. Take guys out you have lures and give em a run and see how they go on your boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2014 at 10:09am
the angler View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Stats from this season.
Lumo sprocket 4
Z b/p 1
Skipped dead bait 8
Swum dead bait 2
Must add we fished the lures differently this year ,switched way down in hook size and freespooled the lures back to the fish after a strike that didn't hook up.
Fuel is the single best investment you can make to increase your chances of catching a fish , if you are in the right spot at the right time a 10$ Kodak killer lure will do the same job as a 250$ status symbol show pony lure.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sid fishus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2014 at 10:57am
sid fishus View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Im a noob still, but from my point of view, and experience of buying a lot of lures that I now dont use.

Follow tagits advie determine your trolling speed first and go from there. In my case it is now a 6 - 6.5 knots ish, used to be 7.5 to 8knots with previous boat.

At least 50% of my lures are now useless.

For slower trolling speeds I now like cut face lures, or lighter cup faced jobs.

Im also a fan of Bonze lures, he can be contacted directly and would I am sure give you ideas for a spread based on your boat. 

Look at running a dredge too.
I always tell the truth about things that never happened
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2014 at 11:12am
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

At slower trolling speeds you need more height (tall riggers etc) to get some lures to work, and may also have to lighten up on how they are rigged, plus get them swimming in the right place. Can take a bit or sorting out and I have lures that I could never get to run well from my tinny. I would initially at least focus on some lures with angled faces to go with the Sprocket and 5.5. Some angled head lures that are too active on a launch might be perfect on your boat. I would also look at some rod holder outriggers to give you some height to play with. Other thing I would do is get a smaller lure to run right out the back as a 'shotgun', but use a tall pole in the rocket launcher etc to give it as much height as you comfortably can. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ninja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2014 at 1:30pm
ninja View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

another great lure is a trophy lures t9 in either blue leader or gladiator great nz made lures,we troll one of each at 7 knots in a 5.9 stabi with riggers 
buying lures is one of those things only beaten by lying-down activities
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote segador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2014 at 7:41pm
segador View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Stats from this season.
Lumo sprocket 4
Z b/p 1
Skipped dead bait 8
Swum dead bait 2
Must add we fished the lures differently this year ,switched way down in hook size and freespooled the lures back to the fish after a strike that didn't hook up.
Fuel is the single best investment you can make to increase your chances of catching a fish , if you are in the right spot at the right time a 10$ Kodak killer lure will do the same job as a 250$ status symbol show pony lure.

is that in nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Andy St.Moritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2014 at 8:20pm
Andy St.Moritz View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

only lures you need are moldcrafts... not many game boats in NZ don't have a Moldcraft Wide Range somewhere in there spread.

Would have to be the easiest lures to run don't need to really worry about waves or positions, and will still fish well and say in the water in the worst conditions. I have been told "if you cant get your mold craft to run correctly... you have forgot to put the boat in gear" 

http://www.moldcraftproducts.com/lures_wideRange.html
There is only one kind of day I like to go fishing on.........

........any day ending with a y
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Titahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2014 at 11:39pm
Titahi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Looks like anglers stats support the theory of billfish actually eat baitfish!!!! WTF
Save heaps, get some chin sinkers, waxed thread, and a sabiki, after that your lures will only cost 5 minutes on the way out to ya marlin grounds, much more chance of a fish chewing the sheet outta a bait than a lure
"I love standing by the ocean and just knowing what its for"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Spectrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2014 at 11:49pm
Spectrum View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

some bloody good advice been given my 2 cents are

invest in high riggers and a shot gun pole, don't run your lures way back as they won't work very well. don't get hung up on doing 7 knots 6 is fine and your boat will be much more stable at this speed and use a lot less fuel.
buy 3 or 4 proven lures and run them time on the water is everything so save for gas instead. The first marlin i ever caught i only had 1 lure out the back so don't get hung up on running every possible colour and head shape under the sun. 
In a 5.7m boat you would fish with 3 guys comfortably when you hook up 1 has to steer the boat the others clear the gear and if you have 5 rods out the cockpit very quickly becomes a complete mess throw in a bit of virgin adrenaline and you half way to dropping the fish or getting a hook in your foot. lastly and most important fish where the fish are and don't leave fish to find fish do all this, keep your eyes pealed and its only a matter of time 

good luck
Page  123>