new Navigation Safety bylaw

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new Navigation Safety bylaw
    Posted: 01 Aug 2014 at 1:13am
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

at long last we have the right law in place, Clap

just how much of the Rate payers money did they bloody waste with all that other bulls Wool???????????

now to pull the other parts of the country in line with these...

http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/fears-new-rules-may-confuse-travelling-boaties-6041936

New rules for boaties have been passed in Auckland today, but some are worried the rules will confuse those travelling between regions.

The new Navigation Safety bylaw makes the skipper of a boat responsible for the safety of every person on board.

On smaller boats there must be an appointed skipper who is responsible for deciding whether lifejackets are necessary. If the skipper is impaired with alcohol or drugs the maritime police may be called in.

But Executive Director of NZ Marine, Peter Busfield, insists the new rules will create confusion for those moving between regions.

"The worst thing I think for New Zealand is to have different regions with different bylaws and different requirements for boaties," Mr Busfield told ONE News.

"The boaties will just not understand the difference between going boating in the Bay of Islands, Auckland, Waikato and then in the South Island."

The new regulations will come into effect on Labour Weekend.

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2014 at 3:03am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

one rule for all of nz.Where do you draw the line ie.kawakawa bay to coromandel,middle of the firth?
auckland to bay of islands,breamhead or breamtail?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Clifftastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2014 at 9:13am
Clifftastic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Great result! Here's Auckland Council's boundaries PJC - 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2014 at 9:25am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

the alcohol bit is intriguing though,police with breathalyzers?only in the event of a mishap or tested at anytime?
the police conducted a trial in Marlborough sounds it was on coastwatch 2/3 weeks back
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote mowerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2014 at 9:30am
mowerman View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Booze on boats can become an issue.With the new low limits due in before Xmas for driving anyone would have to be a fool to have more than a bottle on a boat then come back and drive a car...
Works both ways ..Dont drink and drive 
The People Protest

Actions Speak Louder Than Words    
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Southern_Jez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2014 at 10:02am
Southern_Jez View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

"On smaller boats there must be an appointed skipper who is responsible for deciding whether lifejackets are necessary."

My question is: If I, as skipper, determine that lifejackets aren't required, but some councilman/enforcement official thinks they are, am I going to get fined?

Seems a bit grey to me ...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2014 at 10:43am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Some regional laws can cause confusion.. totally agree
take a JAFA head over to the waikato area and not know about life jacket law there, and get zapped... in realty I think what would happen is they would ask where from, "JAFA"  "OK this is the law here"  "name/details"  " this is a warning goes on record, dont forget next time, as u are now aware of the rules here"
Sounds like a bit more real?

But for these laws
"...makes the skipper of a boat responsible for the safety of every person on board."
Thats just taking on board current law anyway... not an issue

"...there must be an appointed skipper who is responsible for deciding whether lifejackets are necessary."
Ok consider law above it that is just REAL BASIC common sence   not an issue

"....If the skipper is impaired with alcohol or drugs the maritime police may be called in.

Think it through.. u areout odf area, u contact the local maritime police, and they will either attend and give the skipper a bolicking and tell u the law is only regenal
OR
The will inform you that it is only a regional law and cant enforce in that area.

Does any of these outcomes , or any other one can think of , result in "confusion" a negative result , or what ever?

Executive Director of NZ Marine, Peter Busfield, insists the new rules will create confusion for those moving between regions."The worst thing I think for New Zealand is to have different regions with different bylaws and different requirements for boaties," Mr Busfield told ONE News.

"The boaties will just not understand the difference between going boating in the Bay of Islands, Auckland, Waikato and then in the South Island."

Now either he has not thought this particular law thru or even studied it or the media has mis quoted him or taken out of context as it relates to this new law.

The question I then have to ask, considering pressure from boaties, media, police, coroner etc why has this long standing issue been left for so long by NZ marine or who ever nationally to make it nationally

A bit of opening ones mouth to change feet I think, if the media has taken out of context.

From post above

""On smaller boats there must be an appointed skipper who is responsible for deciding whether lifejackets are necessary."

My question is: If I, as skipper, determine that lifejackets aren't required, but some councilman/enforcement official thinks they are, am I going to get fined?

Seems a bit grey to me ...  "

Why? the crew of a boat has a right to be able to assume the skipper is of good judgement, as does the law.....If the skipper doesnt make a good judgement and the proverbial hits the fan its his head thats on the line.....now if out in conditions , and they would be in conditions that start to make things a little hairy  yeah then there is a comonsence case to zap the skipper...
Is that also not the moral responsibility of the skipper...I think u are playing a theoretical senero of which is very likely not to happen, and if a marginal call, the coastgaurd , police harbour master or even another responsible concerned boatie would piont out anyway....

Or the alternative would be to include in the law a very detailed specification of wind strength in relation to tide direction, and swell direct , and height and period along with chop height and period and direction all related back to boat size , hull type, engine size, boat ladden weight , number ppl in the boat....all in a heap of languages
And except every nominated skipper to have a copy of this and to know it all off by heart before leaving the ramp
That is what u are asking for as as the alternative ...
or no law on skipper responsibility lifejacket and drunk in charge?

Will give a similar parrell example... an old wooden frame vintage car, is except from seat belts, not because of its age but because there are no secure mounting pts for them.
Any passenger in a car , by law, has the right to assume tat the seat belts in a car will meet required safety stds..

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Southern_Jez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2014 at 12:30pm
Southern_Jez View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Kind of Steps, my initial statement was based before the "proverbial hits the fan", anything after that is just more ambo at bottom of the cliff stuff which is to late to be of any use anyway ... who determines whats "hairy" that is my question.

I often get people looking at me sideways when I tell them I head 8km offshore in my 14ft pontoon boat, they wouldnt do that in anything less than 10m down here they say. Does that make me less responsible? No, I ensure safety for myself and my crew by using my head, adhering to the conditions on the day, and not being a gungho idiot, with a free pass for anyone to call the day off (no point fishing if someone isnt enjoying it).

My point is that what one person thinks if perfectly fine, another may think is completely irresponsible ... that is the grey area i refer to.

Commonsense isnt all that common anymore (as someones signature states)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2014 at 12:37pm
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

funny butit has always been the responsability of the skipper to look after the crew, this new law is like saying the skippers word is law, but when the accident happens and yes it will the skipper will still take the blame no matter what he does, how many cases can you think of with this happening in recent times.
New law....Translation if your the skipper your in the gun no if's or buts.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2014 at 3:14pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2014 at 3:50pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I can't find actual details of the new rules, apart from snippets in reports, but I'm struggling to see what has changed from the current rules. The Skipper was always responsible for the boat and everyone on it, and no one has to wear life jackets because there's a get-out clause. So in typical council style they have spent months, and no doubt tens of thousands of our dollars, and come up with pretty well nothing.

It should not be decided by local councils anyway, there should be one set of NZ wide rules. In fact, there already is http://www.maritimenz.govt.nz/Rules/List-of-all-rules/List-of-rules.asp#maritime_rules so why do the council think they need to stick their oar in?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2014 at 4:16pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

your right same old same old Kevin.S,

regardless of boat size,

The new Navigation Safety bylaw makes the skipper of a boat responsible for the safety of every person on board.
just maybe it didnt cover the smallest of boat not sure about if they had a size limit...

otherwise yep, that is exactly as it has been since about 2003/4, absolutely nothing has changed,

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Kings Marine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2014 at 4:20pm
Kings Marine View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

so remember that when you launch your boat in the east Akl region and then travel across to Thames or Coromandel for a fish, as you pass the boundary you would have to put your life jackets on to meet the Waikato rules (which I prefer and have adhered to myself well before it was law) and then possibly remove them at the skippers discretion passing back into Akl waters.............  just wear the life jackets, Ive never known so much resistance to saving someone's life ???

The Mighty Waikato
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kings-Marine/100476476662857?%3Fref=ts