Bigger boat running costs

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BT007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bigger boat running costs
    Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 3:04pm
BT007 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi All, Hoping I can get some indication as to how much a days fishing is going to cost in my new 'dream' boat.
Current boat
1999 90HP 2stroke Johnson pushing a 5.4m Ally

dream boat
2013 225HP Optimax pushing a 7.5m Ally

A trip to the 40m mark past the Noises costs me about $90 in fuel from HalfMoonBay, which is about 32nm round trip.

I got the finances sorted to buy the damn thing.... Can I afford to run it???

Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Seasider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 3:38pm
Seasider View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Double your current fuel cost at least.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Structfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 3:40pm
Structfab View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

wait till you start eyeing up Gt barrier, Cuvier Is. and the Mokes in your dream boat. Your initial calc's will be blown out of the water, no point getting a 7.5m to fish the noises is there? something to consider. You can fit more people to share in fuel though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blindspot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 3:42pm
Blindspot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

from what I have experienced a boat/motor that size is about 45-50l/h at cruise 25-30kn
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote katamoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 4:20pm
katamoto View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I think as a rough rule of a thumb its 2l per 1knot so if you cruising at 25knots it will use 50l per hour.
If your concerned about running cost, maybe you should get a diesel ? for example my one is using around 15-17l per hour at 25knots, from omaha to go arounf kawau and back under 50$ with 6 people on board.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 5:19pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

1999 90HP 2stroke Johnson pushing a 5.4m Ally
A trip to the 40m mark past the Noises costs me about $90 in fuel from HalfMoonBay, which is about 32nm round trip.

Thats roughly the same distance from Maraetai to top Thumb point out around shag... that costs us , 3 guys up full tanks, toilet , spare anchor/ chain etc... cruising 57 km/hr  in a 1980s commander/ 115 hp Johnson $85 to 90... +15 for a L of oil.
 Ave out over several hundred ks now  0.71 L/km  ( 287 nm 1.3L/nm)

I got the finances sorted to buy the damn thing.... Can I afford to run it???

We cant afford to run ours , but doesnt take long to get a list of a regular bunch of good guys to make up a crew, share costs.....and a boat that size, u can comfortably have more than skipper + 2 guys.. And prop it for good cruising speed and economy rather than hard out top speed as is the norm, and that will give a good 30 to 50% in economy
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mowerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 5:49pm
mowerman View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If you can invest in a boat with a 4 stroke,huge savings on fuel

On our 6.2 hard top with a honda 115, hmb to tiri and back on 45 litres..petrol keeps going up..if the A drops out of the NZ dollar ..think about what will happen to petrol if it hit $3.00 a litre..it will do but its just when !!
The People Protest

Actions Speak Louder Than Words    
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 6:09pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Hi BT007,
i had a 6-5mt McLay HT with a 200hp Optimax,
cost more to drag it around than to run the boat,
150lt underfloor fuel tank would let me go from Omaha right around Gt Barrier and back, plus running around over 5 days,
would travel at 20knots, was doing 24lts an hour on a calm sea...
longest trip was from Omaha to Cable Bay over 7days refueled at Russel on the way up and topped up on the way back, was quicker by boat than dragging it up there by road....
you will have a lot of fun if your going to use it as a means to escape the traffic and explore new places,

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 6:17pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The Opti is as economic as a 4 stroke, so that is fine for fuel burn. Budget on 40lph at 23 - 25knts and you should get some change. Push it harder though and the fuel burn will get up reasonably fast. My best guess would be with say 4 POB you will run around 23knts at 3800 - 4000rpm and 35lph, IF the boat is setup properly and the hull isn't overly heavy or an inefficient shape. As I said, budget of 40lph at 3800 - 4000rpm and hopefully see some change.
Out past the Noises from HMB I guess 15 - 20NM. So budget 40l either way and maybe another 10 - 20 for mooching around. So all up maybe 90 - 100l for the day. That would be a cheapish day on a boat that size, so probably think about having those bigger days up around the 120l mark to be safe.

Diesels are definitely better for fuel costs if you are subject to 'pump shock'. We are currently selling 1/4 shares in a 32ft launch that would do the same trip on around 60 - 70l of diesel, so by comparison around $100- $115 on a diesel launch vs $220+ on a 25ft tinny. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 6:32pm
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

the thing is Dave it may be comparable as a 4 stroke but you forgot the $100 for 4 litres of oil which dont last to long at all

If you worried about the cost of running a boat mate stick with what you have
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mowerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 6:54pm
mowerman View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We were put off at the cost of oil ,which when added in makes its expensive running ..hence a 4 stroke..what you have is what you get with no added extras 
The People Protest

Actions Speak Louder Than Words    
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 7:08pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

yes very true this day and age, oil is experience now,
but when i brought my Optimax the $4000 extra for a 4 stroke was just crazy,
$4000 worth of oil, couldn't imagine it...
how things have changed...
Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spaceships Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 7:08pm
spaceships View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

looks like it costs a fair bit to run a big boat. My mate had a bonito around 7m with a 175 optimax on it and it was surprisingly economical to run. No figures but from kawakawa to coromandel and around a bit and then return used only around a quarter of a tank.

last time out in my boat I did 55km trip and used around 15 litres. Still plenty of gas left in the fuel bladder. Therefore i conclude you should change your dream boat to a thundercat, will get you anywhere your choice will and a lot cheaper to run.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Apex Predator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2014 at 9:45am
Apex Predator View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

A 7m boat will cost more to run than a 5m one. The question is how much more and gas is only the start. 

A bigger trailer - tandem rather than single axle, Brakes plus lots more rollers etc, at least twice the maintenance cost.
A decent tow wagon and the cost of servicing this.
Engine servicing - cost seems to increase in proportion to engine size for some reason.
More expensive fitout - 2 or 3 batteries instead of 1, windlass instead of armstrong etc, again probably twice the upkeep cost.
TAS - bigger boat needs more stuff to fill it, budget 3x what you currently spend.
In terms of gas you will spend more because you will go further, my previous boat, a 720 billfisher with 200 Optimax returned around 0.8nmpl at 25-26 knot flat sea cruise and about 1.1nmpl trolling so your 32nm trip to the noises would use approx 40l, say $85 plus oil not too different to your current setup.

The answer to the question is that the boat will cost a lot more to run and own but, as the owner of a largish trailer boat I recon its definitely worth it.  It opens up infinitely more opportunities, places to go and is a logical step.  Personally I'd go shared boat ownership rather than downsize now.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote wopass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2014 at 1:00pm
wopass View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

7.1m west coaster (its a heavy biarch) F225 Yam with 200ltr tank 2 guys and some fishing gear but not loaded up to the balls 

trip from Whakatane to white island with a bit of mooching round looking at the place and generally enjoying the day and back to th ramp we used 100.4ltr of fuel used. Pretty good i thought!

buy the boat you want mate, you will find a way to afford the fuel!

Cool
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BT007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2014 at 1:17pm
BT007 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

thanks for the responses everyone. More food for thought... Sounds like I want the same boat with a 4stroke.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2014 at 1:56pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

the Optimax has a tendency to vibrate quite bad,
i ran rubber backing and mounting bolts were like engine mounts surrounded in rubber,
also they are loud when compared to a Yam 4 stroke,

wish you luck BT007, Apex Predator has some very good points....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote full sacks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2014 at 9:05pm
full sacks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

all good stuff there guys, don't forget the insurance as well, tow wagon , solo trips are not so easy either, parking fueling turning around everything takes a bit more time and care, but u will save a little bit on sunscreen
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Seasider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2014 at 9:09pm
Seasider View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Then there is the cleaning at end of the day. Can be a big job when you have to do on your own!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Scuba Skip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2014 at 9:13pm
Scuba Skip View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

These are pretty much most of the reasons i went back to a 5.5m from a 7m. Big is good but everything is more time consuming, harder more expensive etc etc etc.
Page  12>