Attaching lights to jigs yes or no?

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Davo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Attaching lights to jigs yes or no?
    Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 9:41am
Davo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hiya, i was wondering if anyones trialled lights connected to jigs much when targeting bluenose or bass? They seem to help sometimes when bait fishing but i was curious to know how theyd go with jigs? Any experiences out there? Ive got hookers diamond lights and was toying with connecting one to a jig but if it puts bns/bass off i wont! Thanks for your thoughts on this in advance. Dave

Edit: sorry i forgot to add its for fishing deeper than 250m. Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Elpescador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 10:43am
Elpescador View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

If there are cuda about this could end in tears.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Davo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 11:43am
Davo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah i figure gemfish may be an issue too so i was contemplating using wire...to save losing jigs
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 12:17pm
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Davo there is a light on the market that is supposed to emit flashs but cant seem to find it, it called something like Esla Escala?? Ive seen them advertised in some overseas gamefish mags.
I think Discount Fishing Supplie has something simlar on the counter in the shop.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Davo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 3:19pm
Davo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks Craig - yeah I've seen those fellas on fishwrecked.com use em and that's why I asked to see if people here do. they seem to get BNS with em on. I might get a few from Col to try out. Just wondered if anyone here had tried using the ESCA or the LP Diamonds and found they had caught less fish with em. Im prospecting a few spots that are new to me and I dont want to miss out on good fish due to lights. I may run lights on one side of the boat and none on the other as a control. Clearly too much non fishing time on my hands with this weather being so damn rubbish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stonefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 3:42pm
Stonefish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Where will you attach the light to? Leader or to jig itself?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Davo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 4:08pm
Davo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Was thinking jig...sensible or not?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stonefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 6:42pm
Stonefish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Dunno, was just wondering. Just been doing a bit of googling and found this page:
http://www.charkbait.com/cs/CharkBait-Jig-1.htm

Scroll down and check out the illuminata jigs, look pretty interesting, but only 200g. They also have those Esca lights.

Will be interested to hear how u get on.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 11:02pm
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Davo Davo wrote:

Was thinking jig...sensible or not?
NO.....That will effect the action of the jig....just use a lumo jig and shine your torch on it hard out before you drop it...I reckon.......If the jig had it built in(nice thought)....would be worth ago....Do they make them like that?...would be cool if they could be solar charged aLOL
what about glow sticks? the ones you snap.......they would be good on your leader when fishing baits for blue nose etc in deep water.Wink
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2014 at 7:02am
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Davo we will be out tomorrow going to pop down to DFS and get a couple, le you know of its works
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Davo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2014 at 8:15am
Davo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

awesome thanks Craig :-) finally some gd wx eh...still rubbish here. Hope u score some beauties
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2014 at 8:59am
Garry 23041 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hooker fishing have nice little lights in various colors that work great on my Puka rigs.

Cheap to....well cheapish.

No idea for jigs though, Maybe lumo jigs?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Davo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2014 at 9:05am
Davo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cheers Garry, I've got those hooker lites...they work a treat with baits Thumbs Up Much cheaper than buying the original LP ones too...

Definitely using lumo jigs...but wasnt sure if a bit more bling would help. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2014 at 9:34am
Garry 23041 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

You got a favorite color Davo?

I don't yet, they seem to help though.

I run 80lb braid then a clip on which I put my light and some 80lb mono before my big ledger rig.

I attach my sinker (1kg thick reo rod) with 50lb.

this way I get to keep my ledger rig most of the time and my braid all the time.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Davo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2014 at 9:41am
Davo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

blue works for me - I think the shorter wavelength of blue light penetrates the water better than the other end of the spectrum. I think water absorbs longer wavelength (eg red) light better so it doesnt travel as far...

How long is the reo for it to be 1kg? You ever thought about painting it with lumo and attaching hooks to it? 

Hopefully Capt Craig will do some tests today up on his mean as fishing machine and get some results back to me...Im so jealous of anywhere that has nice weather!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote U357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2014 at 12:20pm
U357 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

something like this, but in a knife jig
404. That’s an error.
That’s all we know.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2014 at 12:28pm
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Davo Davo wrote:

blue works for me - I think the shorter wavelength of blue light penetrates the water better than the other end of the spectrum. I think water absorbs longer wavelength (eg red) light better so it doesnt travel as far...

How long is the reo for it to be 1kg? You ever thought about painting it with lumo and attaching hooks to it? 

Hopefully Capt Craig will do some tests today up on his mean as fishing machine and get some results back to me...Im so jealous of anywhere that has nice weather!

Davo I wish I had some good news for you but I dont.
Cracker of a day yesterday so good infact we kept fishing until dark, long day for half dozen puka, few trumpeter and some nice Tara's up to 2.5kg, sharks were a problem all day.
Tried number of different colour/shape jigs in 200m for zip, attached the blue ESCA liight each time. Doesnt mean it didnt work just maybe it didnt yesterday will try again next time out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Davo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2014 at 1:38pm
Davo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks Craig - and well done on the puka, trumps and monster tics. 2.5kg is a lovely size. Sounds like sharks are a prob everywhere. We got taxed a couple of times last trip out :-( 

Ive managed to get hold of a few of the ESCAs (cheers U357 for the photos) so will try em and see how we go.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2014 at 1:56pm
John_B View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by stonefish stonefish wrote:

Dunno, was just wondering. Just been doing a bit of googling and found this page:
http://www.charkbait.com/cs/CharkBait-Jig-1.htm

Scroll down and check out the illuminata jigs, look pretty interesting, but only 200g. They also have those Esca lights.

Will be interested to hear how u get on.

yeah Ive seen these in the Charkbait shop in LA. Should've bought a few. Could always attach them above or below a Diamond eye to add more weight. Could even attach them to the DE. Could be an interesting experiment for someone.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ChrisW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2014 at 11:14pm
ChrisW View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

I've got a few Escas in different colours and flash patterns you can try Davo. Drop in in a couple weeks time
give it death!
Page  12>