Yamaha FXHO or Seadoo GTI 155

Page  123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coxie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yamaha FXHO or Seadoo GTI 155
    Posted: 29 Jul 2014 at 10:14pm
coxie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey guys, I see theres a few other posts on here about newbies looking at buying ski's that haven't got much of a response but I'm gonna try another one as it's something i'm looking at giving a go.

I could go for a brand new ski but right now i've got my eyes on a couple of second hand ones which would save a significant amount of cash...

Yamaha FXHO and Seadoo GTI 155

Both are year 2007
Both are low hours
Both have a fishing setup on the back
They are basically the same price

It seems like these two brands are the popular choice so what are the pro's and cons of these specific models?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jetfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 9:19am
jetfisher View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Both great reliable ski's, Seadoo has the closed loop cooling system, Yamaha has 4 cylinder engine over a 3 cylinder engine. I think you will find the Yamaha is a longer hull and a lot more rear platform room, if I remember correctly from when I was looking the GTI hull is smaller than the GTX or Wake? As said both are ideal for what you want but I am a Yamaha man through and through, ethier way I can guaranty you wont regret getting into the sport .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coxie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 8:43pm
coxie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah you're right, the GTI hull is shorter, the GTX is the longer one. Starting to look at the GTX's now, they claim to have a deeper V'd hull shape so a bit better in the rougher water
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RC1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 9:31pm
RC1 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yamaha only way to go
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coxie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 10:17pm
coxie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Reasons why...?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Devon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2014 at 2:02pm
Devon View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Ive got an FXHO, really like it. Never had any issues. Ive never owned another jetski though...I know the new seadoos are great but have heard the slightly older ones may be a little less reliable than the fxho's. Whether this is true or not I dont know
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coxie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2014 at 4:31pm
coxie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks for the comments, at the moment i've got my eye on a 2010 seadoo GTX 155 with really low hours for about 2.5k more than the 07' ski's I was looking at... 
And it looks like there is very little difference between the 2010 and 2014 models, and I think the GTX hull is the s3 deeper V hull and 200mm longer than the other two

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jetfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2014 at 10:12am
jetfisher View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi Coxie, GTX 155 is great but I am very biased and much prefer the FXHO. As stated earlier whatever you get you will enjoy being out there on it and not look back. I used to fish out of a 6.5 meter boat but prefer the ski that iv'e had for the past 18 months, just wish I had done it much earlier.

Here is a good website to compare hull specs: http://www.personalwatercraft.com/specs/index.php
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coxie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2014 at 12:42pm
coxie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well i've got a day off work organised for tomorrow so all going well i'll be towing a ski home Big smile 
Yeah the FXHO definately sounds like a great ski from what i've heard, there doesn't seem to be too many available 2nd hand that are only a couple years old. Really I just wanted to go as new as I could afford, because reliability is probably the main thing I want.
We've got a 5.5m boat in the family that I can use whenever I want and I use it most weekends but this will open up soo many more opportunities for me
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RC1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2014 at 3:08pm
RC1 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by coxie coxie wrote:

Reasons why...?
  reliability and resale, there is a reason why there isn't many second hand.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jetfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2014 at 4:59pm
jetfisher View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Conder Marine Conder Marine wrote:

Reasons why...?
Ā  reliability and resale, there is a reason why there isn't many second hand.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hopeless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2014 at 10:34pm
Hopeless View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Conder Marine Conder Marine wrote:

Reasons why...?
Ā  reliability and resale, there is a reason why there isn't many second hand.

Exactly right. Fxho you won't regret it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jetfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2014 at 8:56am
jetfisher View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

[QUOTE=coxie] Well i've got a day off work organised for tomorrow so all going well i'll be towing a ski homeĀ [IMG]smileys/smiley4.gif"

Well Coxie? the week is over so what did we buy?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coxie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2014 at 8:00pm
coxie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Got the 2010 GTX 155, on Monday infact. Took it for it's first dunk when I got it home just before the sun went down and I love it. I've been busy at work but I've been kitting it out ready for fishing every spare moment I've had so I can get out this weeknd. Might not go for a fish, might just go for a big cruise to get used to riding it as it's the first time I've been on a ski. Lookin forward to some fun times though, and I'm already seeing the benefits over a boat 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jetfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2014 at 9:36am
jetfisher View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Once you get used to fishing off the ski the boat will prob not get much use. Was great fishing out there yesterday arvo even tho the wind got up more than expected, its all good fun on the ski.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coxie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2014 at 5:55pm
coxie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I went out for a play both days in the weekend to test the fish finder I installed, didn't take any fishing gear with me just went for a long cruise to get used to the ski and all it's functions. I made up a bracket to mount the transducer on the back without drilling any holes and it works a treat, tracks the bottom at all speeds and all conditions apart from when i'm idling as theres obviously bubbles everywhere at the back of the ski but not much I can do about that. Can't wait to get out for a fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cigar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2014 at 6:17pm
Cigar View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Where did you put the transducer? Mine works fine at idle and only plays up when I drop the reverse bucket.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coxie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2014 at 8:40pm
coxie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

It's about half way between the centre of the ski and the outside
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jetfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2014 at 9:00am
jetfisher View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

The best place to mount on the Yamaha is using the boarding step mount, cant you use the same mount on your Seadoo?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coxie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2014 at 12:16pm
coxie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

That is exactly what I did, made a bracket that uses the boarding step mounting holes, the bracket then has to go sideways and then down to the waterline as the bung is directly underneath the boarding step.
Page  123>