Getting a 2 piece rod to Aitutaki

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Getting a 2 piece rod to Aitutaki
    Posted: 29 Jul 2014 at 5:43pm
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I know iv kind of covered this already in past threads, but I was hoping id hear if anyone has taken their 2 piece rods to Aitutaki?  Iv got a 6#, 8# and 10-11# in four piece that will be coming with me, but I’m thinking id like to take a spare 8# for bones, in case I break my regular 8#.

I was going to borrow an 8# four piece rod of one of my local mates as a backup, but been trouties no one has anything over a 6#.  Iv got a 2 piece 8# that’s a favorite of mine, that I doubt il ever sell, that id love to take. So is it possible, or is it just an excessive expense to get a 2 pieces rod there and back with me? Anyone with first hand experience in this?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2014 at 5:50pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yip that's me,
Took my 10 weight 2 piece over, charged me $100.00
They said nada on way back.
have a 4 piece 11 weght predator coming in the mail so wont be doing that again.
BUT,
when ya book your ticket you can  pay$50.00 for an extra piece of baggage.
Ive done that and goona bring with me heaps of food  etc.

By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2014 at 5:53pm
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If you cannot fit that in your luggage, as I assume you cannot, as just a single rod and unlikely to be more than 1.75m long when in two parts, you SHOULD be allowed to take it along as carry on.
Seek clarification with airport security first though, this is what I was told by the fragile goods scanning guy at the airport last February. If you are happy to take it as carry on in its soft case or a lightweight tube, it should not be a problem.
It is only my overwhelming natural humility that mars my perfection.

Captain Asparagus, Superhero, Adventurer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2014 at 5:58pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Capt Asparagus Capt Asparagus wrote:

If you cannot fit that in your luggage, as I assume you cannot, as just a single rod and unlikely to be more than 1.75m long when in two parts, you SHOULD be allowed to take it along as carry on.
Seek clarification with airport security first though, this is what I was told by the fragile goods scanning guy at the airport last February. If you are happy to take it as carry on in its soft case or a lightweight tube, it should not be a problem.

If you have it as a separate item in luggage, then yes, they will screw you big time. Be aware, one item of baggage only, unless you go economy deluxe or business. If you have a single luggage item that can take a rod tube inside it, such as a good solid snow board bag, perhaps look at using that as your luggage instead of a more conventional suitcase.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2014 at 6:04pm
Platinum
Platinum

Humm thanks for the info guys. I flew up to Auckland a few months back with my spey rod on Air NZ and they were as usual, brilliant. I was told it wasn’t a problem, but had to be checked in separately as light extra baggage with no charge. Wasn’t an issue either way.

Im more concerned about the internal flight from Raro to Aitutaki.   Sounds like I might be better leaving the 2 piece at home, rather than risk been hit up for stupid excess baggage? 

Thanks for the prompt responses guys! 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2014 at 6:05pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

you can now upgrade your ticket to works deluxe and you get a free extra bag and seat selection with guaranteed spare seat next to you + a cheese platter and heaps of piss.
Anything is possible , I got a 20 kilo drill press on as hand luggage returning from brisbanne:)you just got to make heavy look light and long look short.
the internal flight to aitutaki is Russian roulette, last time we got through with tons extra and no charge but I have been charged before so it usually depends on the total weight of the flight.
you can take up to 23 kilos as air nz customer on the way but only allowed 20 on the way back.
I plan to use a spare 2 piece as my extra bag.

http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/works-deluxe
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Helmsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2014 at 6:44pm
Helmsy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Last time I was up there, manages to get 3 popper rods, 3 jig rods, 2 lighter casting rods, 2 softbaits rods, a fly rod and 15kg of lures and tackle to Aitutaki and back with no charge. Although I did get fairly inventive
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2014 at 7:10pm
Platinum
Platinum

Humm from your comments SS it sounds like it might be do'able?   Play nice with them, and generally they will play nicely with you, has always been my attitude when dealing with airport staff.

I don't mind forgoing any hand baggage on the flight, in lew of the one rod so if i talk nicely I might get it through?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote desmofrankie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2014 at 8:34pm
desmofrankie View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I'll ask my flat mate who's airport staff and get back to you Fraser.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2014 at 9:32pm
Titanium
Titanium

For hand luggage, you are allowed one bag or whatever, plus a camera bag. Camera bags can be quite large....mine is a pelican case, big and heavy, certainly well in excess of what they would normally consider to be a realistic camera bag. And....amazing the stuff that can find its way into such a large camera case eh! :-)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2014 at 11:33pm
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks Frank, will be interesting to hear what he has to say?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 5:57pm
Platinum
Platinum

Oh while I have the attention of you guys who have been to Aitutaki more than a couple of times, any must have flys for the bones? Iv got boxes of larger baitfish imitation flys from my time fishing in WA, but almost no Charlie’s or similar that Bonefish eat!

Pictures of flys to copy would be handy as I tie all my own flys. I hear brown/orange is the general colors to go for?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote corokid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 6:07pm
corokid View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

http://www.fishing.net.nz/asp_forums/aitutaki-bonefish-flies_topic98551.html

Some useful info here Fraser , about 4 or 5 pages in on SWF forum if the link not working.
When you heading up .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 6:16pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Fraser, check out my 'harey rabbit' flies at the bottom of my Aitutaki report.

http://www.fishing.net.nz/asp_forums/topic102296_post1465596.html#1465596

They worked real well- size 6 Gamy, rabbit tail, blonde tipped hare hair for the wing, nickel eyes with red & black pupil inserts, gold tinsel body wrap.

A plain and simple crazy charlie with a soft pink body and a tan wing also worked well.

You will find that small flies seem to work best for everything in Aitutaki. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 6:45pm
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks boys, some choice bits of info in there.  Time to hit the tying bench!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big Manly Yaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2014 at 6:42pm
Big Manly Yaka View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Fraser when are you in Aitutaki? we're flying out this Saturday (Aug2nd) and I'm taking a travel rod (spinner) and handful of small lures. Do you know if I can get a fishing licence in Raro for fishing in Aitutaki or where in Aitutaki can I get a licence? We're taking a charter while we're there and they said they can sort us out but if I want to go for a flick before that I'd like to be legit'.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2014 at 6:58pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

you can buy them by the day from pacific resort on aitutaki , may be other locations aswell but I did get one from here once. | think you only need one If intend to you catch a bonefish.its all a bit vague really. And if you don't get a boner you don't get your money back

Internal reports say the wind should die down from currently 30-50 kms around sun/Monday aitutaki time so factor in any charters later in to the week. I need the wind down as got stuff coming of the ship arriving on Saturday.

Re luggage just remember guys whatever you can get on air nz doesn't apply on air rarotonga, theres not much room under the seats or in the luggage holders above, about half the size of air nz seats for space underneath. I personally feel that if you are a light weight person you should be able to strap half your luggage to your body without being charged, just gets a bit hot on the raro flight with 4 pairs of pants 7 pairs of undies and 7 shirts on all at once.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2014 at 8:32pm
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks for that Will. 

Im not heading up untill 12th of Oct BMY.  A spring trip to avoid the bad weather, and catch a few fish.  Good luck, hope you prick a few!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2014 at 6:54am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

BMY, you can get a bonefish licence at The Boat Shed restaurant at the resort end of the airport. You can also get them at the reception desk at Tamanu Resort. There are probably a few other places around you can get them. I've been told you can get them at the Aitutaki Airport. Not sure where.

The licence says it allows you to "fish for bonefish or other fish species in the lagoons and surrounding reefs of Aitutaki and Manuae in a recreational manner". So that covers all fishing as far as I can tell. Cost is $10 per day.

The difficulty of getting out to get hold of a licence after you've just arrived at 8pm is a bit annoying. However, I never risk fishing without one and fully support the whole fishery enhancement scheme on Aitutaki where bonefish netters have been taken out of the picture. You only have to visit a tropical island where there is heavy netting to fully realise the damage it can cause.

If you're spinning, try some small soft plastics fished across the sand.. bones love them
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big Manly Yaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2014 at 9:07am
Big Manly Yaka View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Great thanks for the info guys, yep Craig taking a little lolly bag of small softies as well so hopefully snag something while I'm there. 
Page  12>