Minister tries to bully Fish&Game

Page  123 4>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Minister tries to bully Fish&Game
    Posted: 29 Jul 2014 at 11:46am
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

We can all thank F&G for being the first out of the blocks to bring to public attention the deteriorating quality of our freshwater resource largely as a result of the ongoing intensification of diary farming.   As a trout fisher it has been my common experience to see livestock trampling down river banks and defecating in the water, when all (took was one electric wire to keep the animals out.    I am glad to say that here in Taranaki many streams are now fenced and the margins planted.     This has made a huge difference already, even though it has not stopped the migration of nutrients from the paddock to the streams.     I am convinced that such progress would have not occurred ( or would be a hell of a lot slower) if it had not been for the strong and sustained public advocacy by F&G and now joined by others in the environmental community, including the Parliamentary Commissioner for the Environment.    

In hot pursuit for more White Gold the government has recently rejigged freshwater standards, which allows water quality to be lowered even further.     Quite rightly F&G has come out strongly in opposition which has not pleased the Minister for Conservation.     According to news reports of a recent F&G conference he has dropped strong hints that he would contemplate a change of the Conservation Act to strip F&G of its statutory advocacy functions.      It is bizarre to hear this from a minister of conservation who, one would have thought, would be supportive of the efforts of this small NGO to protect this nation's fresh water resources.   

Judging by the strong reaction from F&G he obviously failed to intimidate the councillors and is now contemplating a gagging law suit.    Our Teflon PM (still remembering the huge public reaction on the snapper limits) clearly thinks that   such a move by his hot headed minister just two month out from an election isn't a smart idea.    I agree.

F&G needs to be congratulated for not caving in to this bullying minister nor to all sorts of previous threats from Federated Farmers.     

Rainbow

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2014 at 2:49pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

That's what happened at the meeting.   http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national/250742/minister-should-resign,-says-fish-and-game.

Clearly there are powerful lobbies who want to neuter F&G.       Get behind F&G, these guys need our support right now.

"We will have to fight for our fisheries a thousand times but we can only lose them once".

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 10:39am
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

With friends like this who needs enemies??????

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 1:56pm
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

We see eye to eye at last Rainbow. For me this is a complete deal breaker, Nats just lost my vote.
You cant eat my toast fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote o Neill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 2:01pm
o Neill View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Will we see more farmers saying No to angler access as a result of this? Already the upper Waipa is gone.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skunk'd_again Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 3:49pm
skunk'd_again View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Snuffit. Snuffit. wrote:

We see eye to eye at last Rainbow. For me this is a complete deal breaker, Nats just lost my vote.
"
Just?" Surprised you were with them up till now.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Potty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 7:39pm
Potty View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by o Neill o Neill wrote:

Will we see more farmers saying No to angler access as a result of this? Already the upper Waipa is gone.

Normal reaction from the farmers, a lot of farmers are extremely environmentally conscious but unfortunately get hammered from the media.

Didn't know there were problems with access to the upper Waipa, I have personally fished it for years and know many farmers that will allow you access to fish it.
Love fishing, love my job. It's a bloody shame that they clash.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote full sacks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 7:51pm
full sacks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

rainbow photos please of these stock in waterways, like the media and f&g most have no idea of what a dairy animals looks like, can't blame the city slickers for this I wouldn't know what a flash coffee shop in the city looked like either.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 8:08pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

what Tagit wrote is becoming clearer by the day;

National appear to have got so 'cocky' about their political strength with Labour in self destruct mode that they don't care what people think as they follow their own agenda regardless of public opinion. 3rd term arrogance already and they aren't even into their 3rd term yet.

we need to prove to this Goverment we can make a difference,
vote for your electorate and then vote for another party that has an agenda which will show its support towards our plight....

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 8:33pm
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

....or perhaps they see more important issues to the nation than focussing on purely rec fishing issues.
We think this is the single most important issue in politics, but no poll I have seen anywhere mentions rec fishing access etc on the list of top concerns for people.
Far more are interested in employment, education, health etc, and for folks to assume the pollies are pursuing these topics solely to foil the desires or rec fishermen....well, that in itself is a little tinfoil hat like I think.
Farmers are painted as the evil despoilers of our nation by some...those in cities mostly, and strongly influenced in this by long term Labour Party antipathy to farmers who are seen as dedicated national supporters.
Has farming damaged the environment, yes, plainly it has. Has this benefitted enormously over the last century this entire nation even more definitely yes.
Are farming methods changing now to meet current environmental concerns, most definitely yes, they are. Are the anti farming pro environmental groups looking at current practises? Hell no, it is all about historical damage and insisting these practices continue to this day , which by and large they do not, so farming should be penalised, should be curtailed, should be punished. Well stuff that. If any of those calling for massive penalising of farming in this country are truly honest, then they had better start refusing to use the roading, the healthcare, the industries all of witch have been started by, targeted at, to cater for or to profit from, the farming sector, not just now but for the whole last century.
Farming is the backbone of this nation. Remove it and we will become economic basket cases in very very short order. Economic reality.
It is only my overwhelming natural humility that mars my perfection.

Captain Asparagus, Superhero, Adventurer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 8:56pm
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Farming isn't the issue for me, clean , dirty or otherwise. Threatening F&G is the issue. Bullying has no role in the way we are governed.
You cant eat my toast fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 9:10pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

You want to see photos?     Here are some from the Upper Kapuni in Taranaki above the intake of the Hawera water supply.     I showed these and many more to a parliamentary select committee as part of a submission.   I got a nasty letter from the council about my "Emotive Presentation"      Although that was more than 10 years ago it took the Regional Council a full year to get these rubbish dumps partly removed. Some have just been covered up but the toe gets undercut with every big flood and the stuff ends up down stream.    In some dumps there were drums of agricultural chemicals as well as the usual farm rubbish including car bodies.     Such scenes were quite common across the whole Taranaki ring plane.    I have hundreds of photos like these from many streams.    Trouble is council staff don't wade up the rivers to see what gets dumped over the banks.    I don't fish there anymore so cant say if there have been any changes?    

Rainbow

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote o Neill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 9:14pm
o Neill View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Potty Potty wrote:

Originally posted by o Neill o Neill wrote:

Normal reaction from the farmers, a lot of farmers are extremely environmentally conscious but unfortunately get hammered from the media.

Didn't know there were problems with access to the upper Waipa, I have personally fished it for years and know many farmers that will allow you access to fish it.

The problem appears to be with the owner of the property at Toa bridge and they have blocked angler access across their land upstream from the bridge.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Potty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 9:46pm
Potty View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

o Neill, sad to hear that.
Did you personally ask them for access?
Lots of other access points above Toa's bridge, my fishing in the Waipa is quite a bit further upstream.
Love fishing, love my job. It's a bloody shame that they clash.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 9:50pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Captain Asparagus   Who do you think caused all these good changes have happen?     Public and market pressure.    That's what cleaned up the freezing works too.     Smart farmers will tell you on the quiet that all that was good for farming.     

It is time the Feds elected people with a bit of brains who find it far easier to swim with the current than against it.

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote upstream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 10:04pm
upstream View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Capt Asparagus Capt Asparagus wrote:

....or perhaps they see more important issues to the nation than focussing on purely rec fishing issues.
We think this is the single most important issue in politics, but no poll I have seen anywhere mentions rec fishing access etc on the list of top concerns for people.
Far more are interested in employment, education, health etc, and for folks to assume the pollies are pursuing these topics solely to foil the desires or rec fishermen....well, that in itself is a little tinfoil hat like I think.
Farmers are painted as the evil despoilers of our nation by some...those in cities mostly, and strongly influenced in this by long term Labour Party antipathy to farmers who are seen as dedicated national supporters.
Has farming damaged the environment, yes, plainly it has. Has this benefitted enormously over the last century this entire nation even more definitely yes.
Are farming methods changing now to meet current environmental concerns, most definitely yes, they are. Are the anti farming pro environmental groups looking at current practises? Hell no, it is all about historical damage and insisting these practices continue to this day , which by and large they do not, so farming should be penalised, should be curtailed, should be punished. Well stuff that. If any of those calling for massive penalising of farming in this country are truly honest, then they had better start refusing to use the roading, the healthcare, the industries all of witch have been started by, targeted at, to cater for or to profit from, the farming sector, not just now but for the whole last century.
Farming is the backbone of this nation. Remove it and we will become economic basket cases in very very short order. Economic reality.

Captain, it's not about demonising farmers for bad practises. I think even the most staunch environmentalist can agree that farming practises have improved over the years. The new generation of farmers is much more aware of the environmental impacts of their operations, and for the most part they are doing what they can to minimise and mitigate the effects.

The problem is that even those dairy farmers that follow best practise are polluting waterways, due to leaching of nutrients. This can be reduced to a good degree through care and changed farm operations, but can't be eliminated. So in theory we can significantly improve water quality through better farming practise. That would be the case if the dairy herd was size was static.

Unfortunately, dairy conversions continue to speed ahead. You only have to compare the Canterbury and Southland landscapes to those of a decade ago to see this. And this government wants to see more irrigation and more dairying. In fact they are subsidising this expansion with taxpayer's money. The improvements made by existing operations will be dwarfed by the negative effects of all the new conversions....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 10:33pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

The diary industry spends millions of $$$$$$$$ on a TV charm offensive and then its leaders threaten the public to close access to public water, which incidentally is the same public water they get for free.     They really got intellectual giants at the top.

Rainbow.     
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 11:17pm
Titanium
Titanium

Yes, it was indeed an increased awareness of the environmental issues, highlighted by environmentalists indeed that caused the change and improvements in practices. And yes, no-one really has big issues with that.
Leaching of nutrients though is a bit of an issue, given that the process started a century ago, and the nutrients in the system are working their way through the drainage systems so slowly...it is said up to 60years for 100m, that the issue is going to keep going for the next generation or three, even though fertiliser uses have been hugely cut back , nutrient budgets are now worked out and stuck to in order to eliminate as much of this as possible, the after effect of the ignorance of this issue at all even thirty years ago means the country, whether it wants it or not, is going to be stuck with it for the foreseeable future.
Sixty or more years ago, my grandfather, being a successful farmer, followed ministry recommendations from earnest scientist to include DDT in his fertiliser dressings, to combat grass grub. Best practice then, well done that man. Now, we have DDE residue in our soil that if it were much higher would prevent us from supplying milk, DDE having a half life of fifty years, it is not an issue that is going to be going away soon. By changing grazing and stock control patterns we actually largely eliminated the DDE issue on the property entirely, but I find it interesting that a farmer, thinking he was doing the best thing for the land and his farm, was leaving a long term problem for those owning his land in the future. He certainly was not to know that, he was following government advice after all!
The same goes for all the farmers who poured capital dressings of fert onto their farms to boost production etc, a generation ago this was seen as a great thing, now? Not so much.
I think that instead of slating farmers as the whole and sole root for the damage, fie unto them!, then perhaps the whole country should perhaps look at this as a shared issue. After all the dock workers who unloaded those tons of superphosphate, the shipping lines and sailors who shipped it here, the truckies who carted it from wharf to farm, the mechanics who serviced the trucking fleets that carried the fertilisers, the truck stop cafés and the waitresses who served the pies and chips to the drivers, none of them are as abused as the farmers who, under best practices and best available advice, applied these nutrients to their land, yet all of them made money from the deal, all of them raised families from the wages earned from, even tangentially, providing the farmers with these fertilisers.
That's why I get a bit toey when I see another whole Farmer Beat Up coming along, so excuse me if I vent now and then :-)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote o Neill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2014 at 6:19am
o Neill View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Potty Potty wrote:

o Neill, sad to hear that.
Did you personally ask them for access?
Lots of other access points above Toa's bridge, my fishing in the Waipa is quite a bit further upstream.

No the information came from fish and game itself.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2014 at 9:21am
Titanium
Titanium

Ah. Therein lies the rub. A personal approach may have paid dividends. If F&G are leading the charge against farmers, then any approach from them to establish access rights may well be given the big FO. However, phoning or popping in to a farm individually, more than likely will get a yeah, ok mate close the gates though, sort of reply. You never know, used to work for me.

Page  123 4>