Cleaning Painted Alloy

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AlexFyssher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cleaning Painted Alloy
    Posted: 28 Jul 2014 at 1:40pm
AlexFyssher View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey Guys,

Got the boat back in the big smoke for a new motor and a bit of an over haul. Its in need of a good clean.

What's the best way to get all the grime, grease and diesel stains off the hull without taking off the paint?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote katamoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2014 at 2:30pm
katamoto View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I'd be tempted to try the following method on white paint only (I know it works great on white vehicles)
1st get the boat wet.
2nd get a rag, dip it in water and squeeze the excess out, its has to be wet buy not dripping.
3d apply plenty of white Jif (the one that doesn't leave scratches) with plenty of pressure and circular motion
Make sure the rag and boat stays wet, if its dry it will get scratched.

I've learned this method from an experienced car groomer, its very cheap and extremely effective, I had a white van which had been signwritten for many years, upon removing stickers you could still see where they were and overall the paint looked more yellow than white. This method retored it to a near new state.
Its also a pretty good workout :)
Good luck.
Arthur.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote -prozac- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2014 at 2:42pm
-prozac- View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Buy a cheap buff from supercheap, buy some medium cutting polish and get stuck into it, just watch it on the edges etc that you don't burn thru the paint down to the alloy. Above method would probably work too but that's ALOT of elbow grease haha.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2014 at 2:59pm
mozz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

3m cleaner and wax with a buffing machine.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AlexFyssher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2014 at 3:49pm
Platinum
Platinum

Sweet thanks guys. No too worried about scratches etc. Pretty scratched up already. Got a buffer. Will try that with some jiff.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AlexFyssher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2014 at 4:03pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by mozz mozz wrote:

3m cleaner and wax with a buffing machine.

Is this all good straight on alloy as well? I can only find stuff that says its fibreglass cleaner?

Want to remove the oxidisation from the alloy too.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote katamoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2014 at 4:11pm
katamoto View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

To remove oxidation you need alloy polisher, I used Autosol brand, you can buy a tin in repco, not cheap though, I think was around $50 for 500gm.
But if its pretty bad I would sand it a bit and acid wash after would come out as new.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2014 at 12:57am
mozz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It gets used on painted super yachts all the time.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AlexFyssher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2014 at 12:23pm
Platinum
Platinum

Should anything be done with the bubbling / oxidisation under the paint? A lot of areas with this on the boat....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote katamoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2014 at 2:43pm
katamoto View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

if the paint bubbles up it mean the alloy is corroded under the paint (I have that on my boat) only correct way to go about it is to strip paint off, sand back to bare alloy and re prime-repaint (I just recently started that process) its not easy, nor cheap, but if you want to repaint it or want some tips, pm me ill give you more details and a few tips how to save some money, ive got a similar type/size boat, that used to be fully painted.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AlexFyssher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2014 at 3:21pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by katamoto katamoto wrote:

if the paint bubbles up it mean the alloy is corroded under the paint (I have that on my boat) only correct way to go about it is to strip paint off, sand back to bare alloy and re prime-repaint (I just recently started that process) its not easy, nor cheap, but if you want to repaint it or want some tips, pm me ill give you more details and a few tips how to save some money, ive got a similar type/size boat, that used to be fully painted.

Cheers. How much of a problem can the corrosion be if left? Don't really want to go down the road of re painting after the 60k cost of repowering the thing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote katamoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2014 at 3:36pm
katamoto View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Its really hard to tell as you dont know what its like under the paint, my bubbles started appearing about a year ago, took some of the paint off and there's bugger all corrosion but still a fair bit of sanding will be required, basically untill there are no more tiny black spots, I gues after couple of years it could start turing into a big problem, I personally got no money to spend on repaint either (just got new electronics) So im slowly just removing the paint my self, sides and hull is allresdy bare alloy, now its just the top left, some might say its ugly, atleast when its bare alloy its not corroding(as much) and you can control it. O ce its bare alloy yiu can get it polished so its nice and shiny, will save heaps of money on repaint. At this stage im planing to repaint the top and polish up the hull.

Its my first encounter with alloy corrosion, so im still learning what and how is best/cheap way to go about it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote -prozac- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2014 at 7:21pm
-prozac- View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Not sure how quick it happens but corrosion bubbles under paint could turn into holes after a while, bead blast or soda blast be the way to get rid of it. Soda can be messy tho, we rebuilt an old truck at work and had the alloy sleeper box soda blasted, ended up running a garden sprinkler inside it for near on a week to get all the soda out of the seams etc
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Apex Predator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2014 at 8:24pm
Apex Predator View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I did a similar thing on my boat 3 years ago now and am still pleased with the result. Still miles better than when I bought it.

the best thing I found for removing bubbly paint was an angle grinder with 3M plastic pads. These pads come in 3 colours/grades. Use the blue ones as the other colours will grind into the alloy. You will also need a stainless steel wire brush. Dont use steel wire brushes or standard grinding discs.

I repainted and there is quite a strict process. Etch prime the bare alloy within an hour of final prep then min and max recoat times after. I used altex paints - really good qualty 2 pot paints and a great helpdesk.

It wasnt that difficult, just time consuming.

Also dont forget to wear protective gear including face mask.
i
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 86mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2014 at 8:46pm
86mad View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I've just some the same thing to my boat 2 weeks ago.had very bad corrosion under the paint.
Started with 80grit sand paper then stainless wire wheel. Followed by a light sand blast on the deep pits to remove any last black spots of corrosion.then went back over and sanded with 180 grit. Scotch bright any paint that has no corssion.masked then used a lechler epoxy primer. After 1 hour top coated with the 2k white and has come up mint
We'll worth doing before it gets to bad.pm if you wish to know any thing else good luck
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AlexFyssher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 9:44am
Platinum
Platinum

Great thanks guys. Some good info there. I think itll be a job for next winter now. Too much else to do and only have a few weeks storage at work in Auckland...