Polishing advice

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Juan night only Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Polishing advice
    Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 12:58pm
Juan night only View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I picked these up the other day for future use when I eventually start to play with the big boys. They are a little scuffed/ dull and I'm wondering if I can use anything to give them a polish? Was thinking something like cut and polish for cars but thought I would check with you guys before I destroy them.
Cheers 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Peter Pakula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 1:31pm
Peter Pakula View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

My advice is don't. Just wash the heads with a rag dipped in hot water and that's it. Reality is the rougher the head the more vibration it gives out.

Scuffed is good :) to point my tournament lures used to be hit with either 100 grit sandpaper or a rasp.

yeh just a little controversial :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 1:34pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have polished a couple now. There seems to be a difference in head construct, ie soft to hard. Either way err on caution.
I have used a cotton bush wheel used for polishing brass metals etc either on a bench grinder or on a drill.
You can use a hard stick to apply cutting compund to the wheel or use brasso or a very fine cutting compound. When placing the head to the wheel hold firm but keep the pressure light as to hard may blemish the surface. Trial and error.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AlexFyssher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 1:37pm
AlexFyssher View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

No need in polishing them. Our best lures are pretty scuffed up from fish and still get hit most days out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Juan night only Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 1:41pm
Silver
Silver

cheers guys, might just give them a wash and wipe.....maybe just polish one for the hell of it, and cause I like shiny things :) they were cheap enough so no great money loss.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 5:06pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well there you go, always something to learn from our piers.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crazy Horse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 5:38pm
Crazy Horse View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

My advice to you is throw them all in the bin. then go and buy a Pakula Lumo Sprocket, Bonze Kahawai, Pakula Evil, Hollow Point Budda and a Bill Hall Old Blue. Then rig them up. Wait till the fish arrive. Then go and run those lures and catch a good fish. good luck
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pirate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 6:02pm
pirate View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

nice spread Dave but you forgot the zuka 5.5 purple n black
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 86mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 7:08pm
86mad View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

If you are going to polish a cuting compound for cars will do the trick.around 30-40$ abottle .and just use a rag and a good rub will do the trick .have plenty left over for the car boat and motor works a treat with a bit of elbow grease
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Juan night only Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 7:53pm
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Crazy Horse Crazy Horse wrote:

My advice to you is throw them all in the bin. then go and buy a Pakula Lumo Sprocket, Bonze Kahawai, Pakula Evil, Hollow Point Budda and a Bill Hall Old Blue. Then rig them up. Wait till the fish arrive. Then go and run those lures and catch a good fish. good luck

Yeah not to keen on spending a few hundred peso right now for something that I wont use for maybe a year...... although they do look really good
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 8:02pm
Fletch View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

^^ few hundred pesos over a long time will give you more satisfaction I'd say. Take crazy horses advice if I was you JNO. You have the time to gather those lures, and a pretty good spread, zuker from pirate included.

Got all your rods etc?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Juan night only Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 8:39pm
Silver
Silver

Its a work in progress for me, I will slowly get what I can when I have the money. No rods/reels yet but that will be well down the track.