Starter SWF setup advice

Page  <123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote desmofrankie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2014 at 9:09pm
desmofrankie View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

No mean intentions in my earlier comment Tore!
Everything has a price and service is no exception.
And sometimes we're lucky enough to see some products in NZ at pretty much the same price as US (yes, I'm clearly thinking of a rod you're distributing that happens to be extremely popular on these pages Wink)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bass-ist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 12:39am
bass-ist View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

My 2 cents,
The Redington Predator is THE choice for anyone just getting into the sport. It's built for salt water, casts almost as well as a top of the line Sage , costs a third as much and is backed up by the best customer service in the industry. Redington rods are great fishing tools, plain and simple. Why do you think Sage bought them?

I've fished a lot of different brands for a lot of different species in North America, the Caribbean and here. The Predator is one of the best rods I've fished. Add the killer price and it's a no-brainer.

Also, for someone just starting out, as he or she progresses, they may very well upgrade to a Sage One, Salt, Method etc. They're then left with the Predator as a reliable, awesome backup rod.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bass-ist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 8:43am
bass-ist View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Further
Last week I spent a fair amount of time casting a Redington Torrent (7wt). Man what a sweet stick.
A better caster than the Predator and with plenty of grunt. It doesn't have the oversized guides like the Predator or the carbon fiber weave around the ferrules but it does have an anodized real seat. It comes in at around the same price as the Predator but might please those looking for a more traditional feeling blank. Yet another reason to look no further than Redington.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Millsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 10:41am
Millsy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by bass-ist bass-ist wrote:

Further
Last week I spent a fair amount of time casting a Redington Torrent (7wt). Man what a sweet stick.
A better caster than the Predator and with plenty of grunt. It doesn't have the oversized guides like the Predator or the carbon fiber weave around the ferrules but it does have an anodized real seat. It comes in at around the same price as the Predator but might please those looking for a more traditional feeling blank. Yet another reason to look no further than Redington.

Gordy, do you think this rod would suit a teenager? I am going to get a setup from Rod 'n' Reel for a mates boy. Get him on the right track this summer by starting him into swf.

Need something strong and light. I was thinking 7wt would be perfect. The Torrent looks insanely well priced for a high modulus carbon core rod. Line, Outbound short?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bass-ist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 11:32am
bass-ist View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yeah Millsy that would be perfect for him.
I'd put a Rio 8wt. Mainstream floater on it to start. It's an affordable line and overloading it by one line weight will help him learn to cast properly. Once he gets the hang of it, then go for the Outbound.

Like I said, I was blown away by how well the Torrent casts. I can't wait to fish with one.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 12:35pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Tore Tore wrote:

...just be aware when buying rods etc. with lifetime warranties that they normally only apply in the country they were bought. Meaning if you buy it overseas and you break it you'll have to send it back to where you bought it or direct to the manufacturer. Any savings made on the purchase will be eaten up pretty quickly.
The main purpose of tightening such schemes is of course to look after our local retailers and the customers who buy new gear in NZ. It's he only way if we are to make these products available to shops and customers in NZ. And to keep the shops alive. Which is pretty much equal to keeping the sport alive...

To give credit where it's due Tore I don't think there is as much motivation to do this with the brands you deal with. Looking on ebay in the UK a redington predator is 150, compared to an airflow Bluetooth nano at 99. The redington is 50% more expensive, fair enough it's a better rod. Looking on trademe here in NZ both rods are priced at 399.99, the same price. Which is why I agreed with Milsy that airflow doesn't generally offer good value if purchased here in NZ.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Millsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 1:18pm
Millsy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Each individuals concept of value may depend on how much you're prepared to portion into the cost of manufacture and what materials actually go into making your flavor of rod vs what you pay.

If rod A cost 75% less than rod B to manufacture due to being constructed out of cheaper materials or using simpler construction methods, yet rod A costs only 25% less than rod B,  I would be wondering were the rest of my hard earned dollar went?

That may not matter to a lot of people. Personally I don't want to be asking that question of my gear when I have just witnessed that large angry fish of a lifetime engulf my fly and it is now almost literally hanging of the end of my very strained fly rod heading for the sunset. Likewise should it break, wondering how good my "lifetime" warranty actually is and what was written in the little footnote in fine print.

I would suggest some manufactures like to think piece of mind is optional as opposed to part of the package. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 5:52pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Why is a Rio Flyline from the states Retail online $80.00 US[$90.00NZ}[on average]
But locally nothing less tha $145.00NZ ?[on average]

Im not saying its the local shops, but someone somewhere along the chain is making a nice little earner.

Why would I buy a line locally when I can get 2 for the price off one including postage.[on average].

By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 6:14pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Its just unfortunate that we are only a small country and just a pimple in the scheme of the world. the only way we can support paying local retailers is by taking up the slack for them in regards to head per pop and quantity obtained and pay more for it.
Nz just isn't able to support some hobbies as the choice and price are dictated by the masses. Its just a fact of life.
I would definitely support a local rod maker that can sell them at the same price as other brands usually imported from overseas and that can compete with the quality and ease of customer service.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nymphOmaniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 7:16pm
nymphOmaniac View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

cd rods used to have a good range of rods but i havent seen them round for quite q while. i think they may have left the flyfishing business
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 7:25pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I don't think anyone is getting rich there Fishbyfly, $80 US is actually $95 NZ, then add GST. $145 is actually $126 +GST, do $20 difference. The US retailer probably sells more Rio lines in a week than the NZ retailer will sell in a year. Even if Rio don't give him bigger discount for quantity (which I'd be very surprised by) he can make a living with much smaller margins than the guy in NZ due to the volume he's selling.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote desmofrankie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 7:30pm
Gold
Gold

The thing is there is some NZ made tackle like CTS rod blanks: made right here in Auckland who also makes the blanks for Epic (also an NZ company) customisable to an absolute infinity, and judging by the price of a blank a custom rod wouldn't cost more than a high end import but quite ironically you hear more about it on the American forums than here!!!
Kind of sad...
Some will rightfully ask why I didn't take the step myself: budget wise I had to stick to mid range imports so it was too much of a difference for me unfortunately.
Yep, we need a mid range NZ made offer for those of us who are buying in that segment Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 10:06pm
Tore View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I used to build rods on CTS blanks Frank. They're very nice blanks. Sadly there's not really a rod building community in NZ. Most of CTS' business is from overseas, and I suspect Carl's customers are mostly foreign too. If I had more time I would still be building rods.
One of my favourite custom rods is built on an Affinity MX 9' 5wt blank. It has a Bellinger NS seat, Snake Brand Universal guides and a custom handle made from various burnt burl and flor grade cork.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Millsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 10:31pm
Millsy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

It's a bit of a broad sword to suggest "we need a mid range NZ made offer" [rod]. I personally don't think we need that at all, it might interest a few people however.

If you have ever owned a custom rod and been down the road of needing it repaired, you will soon discover it will likely cost more than a "run of the mill" rod to repair. Even the replacement tip section on the cheap bulk produced TFO rod that failed me after the second only fish I caught with it, didn't fit. I believe Sage rods are still actuallindividually hand made and repaired the same way so you know everything will fit. One of the reasons I buy them. An Xi3 will cost $800 today, if I fish 100 times a year (which I do) that will cost me $8 every time I fish. I will get 2 years out of a rod like that, some people would get more than 10.

Frank, there are as many people solely fly fishing in the US as there is the total population of NZ. Little wonder why you might find an opinion on just about anything by searching forums based state side. 

The thread was for starter SWF setup advice. I wouldn't advise anyone new to fly fishing to buy a custom rod for many reasons. Something quality, well price with plenty of support and with a good warranty is the best advice. The brand Redington stands out on this thread and similar themed threads as fitting those points. The people who have followed that advice have had positive results and their feedback has reflected that. As Gordy say's "It's a no brainier".

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nymphOmaniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2014 at 6:33am
nymphOmaniac View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

i used to work in a wholesale business and one of the issues in getting the right price in nz is that quite often if you are not buying enough quantity you need to purchase it via the US rather than direct from china. this adds another level of mark up which is usually half the price of the product so the price will double for every set of hands it passes through.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2014 at 8:12am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

At the end of the day I don't see the savings on imported stuff justifying the worry about "whether it will arrive" or "will I get pinged for GST" etc. So much easier buying off the shelf- instant gratification and no pacing the floor for a week wondering when your order is going to be delivered.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote desmofrankie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2014 at 8:48am
Gold
Gold

I hear your point Millsy about the time and cost involved in fixing a custom rod!
I must admit that I had not considered that.
I'm not gona get into the whole TFO-Sage comparaison coz that's never gona go anywhere and personally I like both LOL

Tore that rod is an absolute beauty!!!Tongue
I hope at some stage I'll get to take the step and build my own!!!
And I agree with you it's not easy to find a rod builder here, I guess most sales go to people building their own rods which not everyone is encline to try...
Anyway, as Millsy said that's way off topic here..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ShaunQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2014 at 9:41am
ShaunQ View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Millsy Millsy wrote:

If you have ever owned a custom rod and been down the road of needing it repaired, you will soon discover it will likely cost more than a "run of the mill" rod to repair.

True words there Millsy, please don't ask me how I know :(
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote desmofrankie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2014 at 11:09am
Gold
Gold

Please tell me that it's not related to your Epic!!! Pinch
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ShaunQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2014 at 12:48pm
ShaunQ View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

A disaster of epic sadness indeed :( Was on a friends boat and he was hammering it back down the channel through a decent chop, I was sitting shotgun up front and decided to keep my foot, with slippers on of course, lightly on the rod to stop it bouncing up and around.

Stopped at the edge of a flat and on the first cast and my heart did a weird skipping of pulses as I realised the rod was broken right were it had been rested under foot. 2nd day, total guttage.

Rod had to be sent back to Victoria, then back to NZ to get matched up, then back to Victoria to get new tip section built, then back to me, an unhealthy $300 round trip. I'll be taking mighty good care of it from now on.
Page  <123>