Beginners luck... 47kg Puka

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Pottsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Beginners luck... 47kg Puka
    Posted: 24 Jul 2014 at 11:28pm
Pottsy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

With another break in the weather today I took advantage and went for another jigging trip. We did quite well on the kings initially ending up with about 20 fish between 3 of us. 2 biggest were 16 and 17kg - with a few others around the 10kg mark. Not monsters but good fun size.

The kings went quiet for a while so we thought we would have a go for some puka. I had never really targeted Puka so I asked a couple of people for some advice. I didn't want specific spots but just a rough idea on what to look for. We sounded around for a while and found what I thought looked like a good patch. I put a 2 dropper rig down with a livey on 1 hook and a couta fillet on the other.

We drifted along for about 20 minutes when I started to get a bit of interest and then whammo!!!! Given I hooked this thing about 1 m from the bottom the first 20m was intense. I had to lock up the spool with my hand and just play tug of war. Eventually I started winning and got the fish clear of the bottom. I have heard a few people say that theses tings don't fight that hard... Not true. this fish scrapped hard for about 80m and only gave up once the barra trauma kicked in and it floated up the last 25m. When it surfaced there were shouts from all on deck.

Pretty happy with my first Puka. might take me a while to beat it though.

I will get a weight for it tomorrow. Any guesstimates?

A pretty good day on the water and still buzzing now!

EDIT:
I managed to weigh the fish this morning. It went just over 47kg. Don't know if they lose any weight overnight but pretty stoked to be honest. Blue Asparagus wins - although i called it for 45Kg at the time we caught it...

The picture below gives a better idea of the proportions. Interestingly when i was filleting it this morning i found a stainless steel j hook in its stomach. It has been there a fairly long time given that it had gristle and growth all over it. It had pretty light line on it though, so I'm not surprised that it managed to gain its freedom.

Having recently moved here from Oz i set myself 3 targets for my first year of fishing. 
A 30Kg Kingy, a 10Kg red and a 40Kg Puka - but they have to be from my own boat. Well that is the Puka ticked off so now i can concentrate on the other 2. Just got to hope for enough decent weather windows over Winter and Spring so that i can get enough shots at them! Im confident that with enough Winter trips i will find a horse King somewhere with my name on it.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote green guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2014 at 11:44pm
green guy View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice fish mate
http://www.facebook.com/hauraki.hillbillys
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote robdunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 6:26am
robdunk View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nice fish! Where did you go this time? Give me a shout next time still keen to tag along whenever you have a spot thanks

Rob
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CanadianJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 6:30am
CanadianJohn View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

monster!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jonocoogee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 6:51am
jonocoogee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Wicked fish, not a bad first puka alright! 
TAS - Its a real disease
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 8:20am
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice fish, I reckon 38kg
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PE Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 8:30am
PE Pete View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice effort Jim! Not sure it's beginners luck you have to be pretty well prepared to land a fish like that mate!
Tight lines
PE Pete
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 8:55am
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

well done Jim a nice fish, 41kg???
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote katamoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 9:05am
katamoto View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Well done that's awesome fish ! in what area were you fishing ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote YeeHaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 9:11am
YeeHaa View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great fish mate ClapClapClap
Yeah love the pukas and in shallowish water they fight extremely well!
Have to be over 30kg and id say around 37kg Embarrassed

WWW.YEEHAA.CO.NZ
(09)5705058
30 Jellicoe Road Panmure
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Captn Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 9:30am
Captn Phil View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Well done, some nice eating in that one.
Taking sportfishing charters to the next level.
Blue Water Adventures Ltd
Whangaroa / Bay of Islands
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jigalot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 9:50am
Jigalot View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nice fish lad. I'm yet to put one on the deck but when I do I hope she's close to that. 37kgs is my guess
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 11:41am
skunk View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Awesome first up puka you scored ..36.5kg I rekn.
congrats
"Team Skunk 10th equal Grunter Hunter 2020"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote home bouy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 12:29pm
home bouy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Watching this fish come up and surface was like watching a bloody submarine breach the surface. And it certainly had old Pottsy huffing and puffing. Had a bit of drama with a tangled livie halfway up the line which made for tense times. But got there in the end and had an awesome day
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KingySlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 1:16pm
KingySlayer View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Wicked fish there mate. 
www.assassinsportsfishing.com
www.facebook.com/assassinjigteam
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 1:48pm
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I was closest what did I win
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dorito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 2:34pm
Dorito View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Great fishing well done!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 5:03pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thats a great result, what a fish!
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 5:47pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well done Pottsy and first puka as well!ClapClap
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote deepblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 8:48pm
deepblue View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nice fish - roughly where.. ? 
Page  12>