Big Fish

Page  <123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 4:14pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Poppers are what are being recommended to me so moving away from the sinking lines. They do appear to like it rough and dirty which is the way they play back so lots of splash and noise to make em angry seems to make sense so maybe a coke bottle with a hook in it lol.(that would be pepsi if on Aitutaki )
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 4:18pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

hmmm,
Ok.
I think ill get a couple of those floaters then
By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 6:29pm
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Don't under estimated using poppers on a sinking line boys!

Makes the popper dive a little. Sometimes with GTs and Queenie's poppers amp them up, but other times it makes them charge the fly down but not hit it (when regular fly's will work)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 6:45pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Thanks for that I guess best approach is cover all options.

Why we do it
http://www.intheriffle.com/the-riffle/fly-fishing-gts/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DeVille Incarnate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 8:44pm
DeVille Incarnate View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hell yea, I hear that brother...!!
Approach with extreme caution - I NEVER look where my back cast is going....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2014 at 9:40am
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

http://vimeo.com/74937782?from=outro-embed

Check out their full length movie.
great to see Guides being totally honest about their Failures and successes.
Well fimed too, and really educational.

those Gts on the sand are exactly like our Kingys on the flats,
suppose its cause their all members of the 'Jack' family,likely to exhibit similar behavior.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2014 at 10:49am
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

WoW!
What a movie
What a place
What a life.
Wicked.

May have to look at a detour on the way home from India trip in October
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DeVille Incarnate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2014 at 12:46pm
DeVille Incarnate View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Adam, so...when do we leave...??
Approach with extreme caution - I NEVER look where my back cast is going....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2014 at 1:01pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

One thing I have learned about GT's is that they seem to use their body depth as a bait fish blockage in water of similar depth. What I'm saying is that you'll find them feeding in water that is almost exactly as deep as their body. So initially I made a bit of a mistake looking for them In Aitutaki when the lagoon was full. A dropping tide, relatively shallow water, and baitfish are all the needed ingredients.

Trouble is - I still haven't found a place in Aitutaki that has GT's without coral
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2014 at 1:43pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

"What I'm saying is that you'll find them feeding in water that is almost exactly as deep as their body"

Aaah smart fish.

Would it not be easier to be on a boat and then you can have the advantage of being able to position your self if the fish decides to go around the coral, seems to be blobs of it rather than lots of it, height and position giving you the advantage?.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2014 at 1:47pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Yeah, if you've got a boat man who can keep you directly over the fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2014 at 1:49pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijkhGo5FUk4

These guys had the right idea but just got unlucky as you do
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2014 at 3:39pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

That's a great video. Those 2lb bones are a bit small though
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2014 at 7:50pm
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by FISHBYFLY FISHBYFLY wrote:

Check out their full length movie.
great to see Guides being totally honest about their Failures and successes.
Well fimed too, and really educational.

those Gts on the sand are exactly like our Kingys on the flats,
suppose its cause their all members of the 'Jack' family,likely to exhibit similar behavior.

Dam and double dam you.....iv now had to add yet another location tomy bucket list after watching that video!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2014 at 11:19pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

"and really educational"

yes , have to get me a pair of white jandals.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2014 at 2:34pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Flyby nite,
Hows tomoro suit yaLOL,

Hows all the different species over there?
Certainly made Milkfish look esy,
And the Gt on a crab pattern,tailing, on a 9 weight was deffinetly the best.

anyone tried for the Milkfish?,
had a guy at that bar in Aitutaki rabbiting on about the massive bones he sen in the Mangroves,
Reckon they might have been Milks,.

Allthat stuff your saying Craigs definetly makes sense.
will and I did notice the trevs would always be active ass in the shallows at lowtide.
I had a close encounter with one about 15 lb, he was busting bait right onto the sand,
I was usinga coral clump as a ladder and he came right to my feet,but I was busy untangling a mess in my flyline,im sure he actually stalled for a split second and eyeballed me.
Once again thoin pretty hairy terrain,
we seen ahuge one just Cruising over the sandflat at Onefoot ,terrain like that is what we want.
Reckon there must be quite a few in that area all around the Main island which is between the Reef and land,

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote desmofrankie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2014 at 3:10pm
desmofrankie View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

If it was me going there after having sorted the heavy rod, beefy reel, hard core line, thick leaders... I'd get some thick as live bait hooks (the smallest available) and tie a few bad boy flies on it coz I recon if you wana have a chance to snap a 50lbs test fly line you might need some hooks a bit more resilient that the regular stuff.... Wink

Wise mountain bikers say "A chain is only as strong as it's weakest chain link".
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2014 at 3:20pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

yes for sure ,I am going to have a go at making some of those NYAF(not your average fly) poppers and going to put on NYAH (not your average hooks).
Fishbyfly is the man when it comes to the flys so keen to see what he comes up with for the big boys.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2014 at 6:39pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

I'm a little bit sceptical that trying to out muscle a GT is a very good idea at all. It might work with a small one, but I can't see much hope on anything over ten kilos. I personally think it all comes down to finding one in a good location and being able to let it run at least 80 metres.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2014 at 5:47pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Tell ya what tho its gonna be fun as watching Will TRYThumbs Up,

No disrespect there Will,
[Will has a reputation around town of not doing anything HalfarseLOL]

Page  <123>