Whats commercial fishing worth to you?

Page  <123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2014 at 9:19am
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I haven't had time to try and read the legislation around this, but the results of several court cases would suggest that the legislation was crafted very much to favour commercial fishing interests and with little regard to recreational interests. Possibly the government at the time was trying to find a politically and commercially acceptable way to slash the hugely excessive commercial harvest, and this lead to recreational angling being an 'after-thought' rather than a major component. Who knows? What we do know is that even the government have been beaten in the courts by the commercial sector when they have tried to take what would appear to be sensible precautionary measures that they thought they could have taken under their own legislation. 
If anyone has access, or knows how to access, any better detail about the current owners of all our TACC and how they acquired it I would love to know about it. It would be really interesting to work out how small the group that effectively own our fisheries now is.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Kezza 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2014 at 10:40am
Kezza 1 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

What an error it was making quota available to non-fisherman!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote v8-coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2014 at 12:55pm
v8-coupe View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by bazza bazza wrote:

WOW ...... that kinda brings the unfortunate situation into perspective !!!!

However when you think about it, should we be at all surprised that this happened in a country
that bestowed an export award to a company that exported untold kiwi fruit plants to our now
competitors overseas.

If that was not bad enough ask any dairy farmer where thousands of yearlings are being exported to.

Yep. Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it.
Legasea Legend Member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote v8-coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2014 at 1:03pm
v8-coupe View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Lethal Lethal wrote:

just shows really how stupid/devious our Politicians really are,
like what i have been told how they are being backhanded for selling out to people they can get backhanders from,
the whole bloody thing should be be exposed for what it is, a sham for certain people in high places to make a killing of our fish resource for their own benefit....
nothing about running our fish stocks the way we would expect, all about money,

thank you Tagit for putting this in prospective,
the info i have been receiving about crocked people in high places has really hit home since we have started discussing the Fisheries as a whole,
your input has made it all that much easier to understand,
thank you, your a scholar and a gentleman for taking the time and effort to bring us all that much closer together...

Do not forget that back during Rogernomics when the wholesale selling off of New Zealand's assets happened there were many New Zealand politicians and businesspeople that made personal fortunes through brokering and gifted shares in the organisations being sold.
This stripping of public assets for the benefit of a few has been happening for decades.
Legasea Legend Member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote v8-coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2014 at 1:07pm
v8-coupe View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Tagit Tagit wrote:

Originally posted by Mejiro Mejiro wrote:

Tagit, "too bizarre to be true" seems to me to be the mission statement for the NZ Govt for years now. I have no problem believing it

Just to be fair to everyone, the worst of all this occurred under the 4th Labour government. Just that National doesn't seem to see fit to correct it either. Common denominator in both governments? A few rooms full of government bureaucrats who may not have changed that much, and may be far to close to the fishing industry?

+1
Legasea Legend Member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote fish i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2014 at 6:35pm
fish i View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

National heavily embroiled in personal gains from commercial fishing policies
6th place in the inaugural Te Kauwhata Regionals paddle crab division
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2014 at 6:39pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The whole scene here reminds me of the Chilean Jack Mackeral  fishery. A few families became very wealthy from this . Fishery collapsed ,everyone else lost out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2014 at 8:27pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Originally posted by fish i fish i wrote:

National heavily embroiled in personal gains from commercial fishing policies

makes you wounder why the Goverment hasn't done an assessment of what "if" we used a couple of species like Kingfish/Kahawai/Trevally as a draw cards for drawing Tourism to this country?
we have Marlin and that has proved very successful why not a couple of others?

they promote NZ as a Clean Green Country so why not leave the huge schools of Kahawai/Trves smashing the surface with thousands of birds in attendance, one of natures spectacular sights for ever to behold,

its not as if they make money from selling them for $1 a kilo as cray bait to Australia so they can compete against our on Cray fishermen in NZ... stupid A-holes...
long gone are the massive schools, we are now left with this but even so its a after math it is still great to see...

Give us back our school fish MPI you dont need it, they are worth more left in the sea for us and Birds to enjoy....

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muzzfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2014 at 9:09pm
Muzzfishing View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Lethal Lethal wrote:

[QUOTE=fish i]National heavily embroiled in personal gains from commercial fishing policies

Fishing company admits underpaying foreign crew

Sanford - whose directors include National Party president Peter Goodfellow - uses three trawlers owned by Dong Won Fisheries of Seoul.

I will never vote for The National Party.  Its another nail in the coffin for our fishery. 
    A Good Skipper Keeps the water on the outside of the boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2014 at 9:13pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Muzz - you need to remember though, if National are driving the nails in the lid, it was the 4th Labour government who built the damn coffin. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote graham 99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2014 at 9:19pm
graham 99 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by wayno wayno wrote:

What is going to happen when there are so few fish left in the ocean that the commercial fleet/quota owners are no longer seeing a return on their "investment"???

Will they seek compensation from the government to address their "losses"??

I believe we could be left in a situation in not too many years, unless something dramatic happens in the short term, that "we" the general public are forced to buy back quota from the commercial sector as it is no longer profitable for the big organisations to continue pillaging the oceans of New Zealand due to the fact that the government has allowed them to strip every last fish from the water.

The recreational fishery will have long since collapsed due to trawlers having removed everything within 20 miles of the shore and 90% of associated local businesses will be bankrupt...

Doesn't even bear thinking about really!!

Just my opinion but 3 years after the present government tenancy I've been trying to work out what their way forward is.
Just the other day John Key was in the news saying he wants to double agriculture by such and such a date, now in my view for him to do that he's going to have to go into fish farming in a large way and as every time someone tries to start a fish farm they run into people who want a lifestyle over more money  and  the fish farms get turned down.  I feel fish farms have been on the political agenda for both major parties for a long time, what better way to get fish farming accepted than to strip the fishery. 
GrahamConfused
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mowerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2014 at 9:41pm
mowerman View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by graham 99 graham 99 wrote:

Originally posted by wayno wayno wrote:

What is going to happen when there are so few fish left in the ocean that the commercial fleet/quota owners are no longer seeing a return on their "investment"???

Will they seek compensation from the government to address their "losses"??

I believe we could be left in a situation in not too many years, unless something dramatic happens in the short term, that "we" the general public are forced to buy back quota from the commercial sector as it is no longer profitable for the big organisations to continue pillaging the oceans of New Zealand due to the fact that the government has allowed them to strip every last fish from the water.

The recreational fishery will have long since collapsed due to trawlers having removed everything within 20 miles of the shore and 90% of associated local businesses will be bankrupt...

Doesn't even bear thinking about really!!

Just my opinion but 3 years after the present government tenancy I've been trying to work out what their way forward is.
Just the other day John Key was in the news saying he wants to double agriculture by such and such a date, now in my view for him to do that he's going to have to go into fish farming in a large way and as every time someone tries to start a fish farm they run into people who want a lifestyle over more money  and  the fish farms get turned down.  I feel fish farms have been on the political agenda for both major parties for a long time, what better way to get fish farming accepted than to strip the fishery. 
GrahamConfused
Then suck up all the pilchards,starve the dolphins,birds and other sea life which will future impact the fisheries ..
I think fish farms shouldnt be allowed if they are going to reduce the natural balance in the food chain
The People Protest

Actions Speak Louder Than Words    
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2014 at 9:59pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

and when they run out of pilchards/anchovies/krill what then?
that is it, all gone, all dead short sighted bureaucrats with nothing left to sell for a gain...
how close to this do we have to get before they wake-up???? 
Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2014 at 10:00pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Catching baitfish to feed more attractive species grown in cages has been proven to be highly wasteful. You get a pitiful 'protein' return for the amount of bait killed as feed. If you use other feeds like waste animal products etc the long term effects on both the fish quality and the environment are a bit uncertain. Whilst you might build a business case for fish farming based on using today's bait fish costs as feed, create enough new fish farms and the cost of that now under pressure bait fish will skyrocket. Fish farming as it currently exists is a short term profit, long term collapse industry. This may be able to be changed, but there is some serious work to be done before we can consider fish farming to be a fully sustainable industry.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2014 at 10:14pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

i guess Tagit the Japanese have it sussed, even on Google Earth you can not zoom in on the fish pens to see even the slightest detail of how they can produce 50,000tonne of snapper a year,
after a lot of hunting the net i found we Kiwis supply over half the food to raise these snapper,
hard to believe yet it is true,
the food comes from the back bone guts heads of all the Hoki caught here, it is turned into pellets on board the Russian ships and sold to the Japanese snapper breeders to compete with our snapper prices...

which Dick Head would do such a thing????
Kahawai for Cray bait for Aussies to compete with our cray prices...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mowerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2014 at 10:20pm
mowerman View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Fish off cuts from processing on trawlers would be logical .

However diseases can be a problem with fish farms ,they also say fish farms can produce toxic fish full of heavy metals and antibiotics and pollute the areas they are in with the risk of infecting wild fish
The People Protest

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mowerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2014 at 10:25pm
mowerman View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

NIPPONIA No.21 June 15, 2002
Special Feature*
Farming Fish in Japan
The Japanese eat a lot of seafood, so they want it cheap and readily available in large quantities. Considerable success has been achieved in improving fishing methods, preservation techniques and distribution channels, and now the market is looking for higher yields from aquaculture. After years of effort, Japan now has the most advanced fish farming in the world.
Written by Torikai Shin-ichi, Photo credits: Japan Seawater Fishery Cultivation Association; Fisheries Research Institute of Kinki University; Nagasaki Municipal Fisheries Center; Association for the Planting of Beech Trees on Mount Chokai
japanese

Aquaculture accounts for almost half of Japan's coastal fishery production
Saltwater fish farming began in Japan in 1927, in the calm waters of the Seto Inland Sea. The project involved stringing a net across the mouth of a narrow cove, then feeding the yellowtail and sea bream that remained inside. The cove, called Adoike, is near Hiketa-cho in Kagawa Prefecture, Shikoku.
Full-scale fish farming of marine species began in the mid-1950s, using nets to make artificial "swimming pools for fish" in the sea. It was around then that aquaculture techniques became advanced enough to raise fish in pens.
"Years ago, yellowtail, sea bream and flatfish were too expensive for the average family, but when the economy expanded after the war, many more people were able to buy them. The increased demand really helped develop the aquaculture industry," says Inagaki Mitsuo, a director at the Japan Seawater Fishery Cultivation Association.
Yellowtail and sea bream farms sprang up in coves and bays in the Seto Inland Sea, a sheltered body of water relatively free from the danger of typhoons. Other areas along the coasts of Shikoku and Kyushu were also developed because they, too, had warm water, an important condition for fast fish growth.
According to Inagaki, almost half of all fish taken from Japan's coastal waters now come from fish farms. The country's total marine aquaculture harvest was about 1,220,000 tons in fiscal year 2000. Of this amount, saltwater fish from fish farms came to about 260,000 tons—the remainder was shellfish, mainly oysters and scallops, and seaweed like wakame and nori. Almost all of the saltwater fish from fish farms was yellowtail (about 150,000 tons) and sea bream (80,000 tons), with the remaining 30,000 tons being primarily flatfish, blowfish and yellow jack. These figures show that yellowtail and sea bream—two favorites in Japan—are the most important fish farm products.
From the time the fry are placed in holding tanks, about 18 months are needed for yellowtail to reach a good weight for harvest (about 4 kg), and two years for sea bream (1.2 kg).
japanese

imageimage
A sea bream farm in Kushimoto-cho Wakayama Prefecture. When sea bream are fed live feed taken from the wild, they take three years to reach marketable size. When fed composite feed, the time is shortened to about two years.
japanese
imageimage
A yellowtail farm in Numazu, Shizuoka Prefecture. The seawater at Numazu is cooler than ideal for yellowtail, so the fish do not grow to a large size. On the other hand, their meat is firm, and consumers say they prefer its crisp texture and taste.
japanese

The People Protest

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2014 at 10:29pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Will they ever learn. Many parts of the world Farmed fish are regarded as a toxic product. People want wild fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mowerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2014 at 10:36pm
mowerman View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by cirrus cirrus wrote:

Will they ever learn. Many parts of the world Farmed fish are regarded as a toxic product. People want wild fish.

There is more than enough wild fish available to feed the world if only the could do so sustainably .
World wide >>>>70 million tons a year is dumped

The People Protest

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2014 at 10:47pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

yeah well until your fish get hit with a disease like this one in Sth Korea,

The number of fish killed this year along the southern coast is 11 million, according to the South Gyeongsang Provincial Government yesterday, generating 6.05 billion won ($5.45 million) in losses.

“The catch has been down this year,” Kim said, “So I looked forward to selling 250,000 jwichi. But 90 percent of them have been killed by the red tide.”

The fisherman estimated his loss at over 500 million won. There were so many dead fish, Kim said it would take two to three days to clear them away.

Kim is one of hundreds of farmers suffering from the red tide, caused by massive algae blooms exuding chemicals harmful to marine animals. They are not good for humans to inhale either.

The algae blooms turned the sea a reddish brown color a few days ago.

“My fish farm was totally ruined by the red tide,” said Park Soon-bok, 59, who raises chamdom (red sea bream) and jwichi in the southern waters off Tongyeong.

“It is really daunting to deploy cranes to move hundreds of thousands of dead fish from the sea into the land,” he said.

Page  <123>