Gopro clone SJ4000

Page  123 4>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jaybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gopro clone SJ4000
    Posted: 22 Jul 2014 at 7:08am
jaybee View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi there, I have been thinking of splashing out on a Gopro but have found this camera which is about 1/5th of the price. ($110 landed). I know you get what you pay for but it comes with a waterproof case and heaps of mounting brackets etc. The reviews I have found rate it pretty well and in a couple of areas better than a Gopro. There are a couple of things it doesn't do but I would be just wanting the basics. How much of a Gopros value is in its name anyway? Does anyone have any experience with this cam? Opinions welcomed.

http://www.dx.com/p/sj4000-1-5-tft-12-0-mp-2-3-cmos-1080p-full-hd-outdoor-sports-digital-video-camera-silver-black-288813
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nick. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2014 at 8:30am
Nick. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

its dimensions are a little big compared to GP

Im sure something being strapped to your head would benefit the smaller size with less drag.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote onthedrop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2014 at 8:57am
onthedrop View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

its cheap but buy one tell us what you think
FEED THE WHANAU
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TheHazySpearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2014 at 5:09pm
TheHazySpearo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Check this one out, i think its the same model your looking at
 http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__62530__Turnigy_HD_ActionCam_1080P_Full_HD_Video_Camera_w_Waterproof_Case.html

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GSPOT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2014 at 5:34pm
GSPOT View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I have one. Seam OK so far.

Made this.  Have not put it under water yet. 

http://youtu.be/oNPI90VC-cQ?list=UU99Qod-44Tp-BbR85alR3lg
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote harrison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2014 at 5:35pm
harrison View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Try it out you could make a profit selling them if its any good. Doesnt say on there how long the battery lasts under standby or recording and says 30m water resistant so would probably be ok for most people only going out to 20m. My main question is how does the video come out in low light conditions?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote qsilver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2014 at 6:58pm
qsilver View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjH3na3Dhqo that compares it to the go pro hero 3 silver edition , pretty nice video to see the differences , no mention of specs just direct comparison of video and photo quality between the two 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Philip van Zijl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2014 at 9:36pm
Philip van Zijl View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I've just ordered one. Hope for the best...
Never underestimate and old man with a spear gun ;)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2014 at 8:07am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Let us know Philip
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GSPOT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2014 at 8:34am
GSPOT View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Just a note about the SJ4000.  

You will NEED! to purchase a name brand U1 class 10 micro SD card.  They do not work properly with out one.  I tried and failed with 3 cheap no name class 10 cards.  This is the first thing the manual says and it is correct.  Put in a good one and it works perfect. 

This is also the case with Gopro's but the purchase of a $79 card on a $595 camera is no biggie but it is almost the cost of the $100 SJ4000.   

Battery life is about 2 hours which is the same as the 32gb memory card on 1080p.

Hope this helps.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Diver9888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 6:20pm
Diver9888 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I recently got a Jaycar Wifi Sports Camera which on paper has the same specs as the cheaper Gopro model.  8mp cam/30 metres, at least 1.5 hours battery etc last time I used it.  It cost $270 including the 32 GB class 10 card and a variety of board/helmet mounts.  Jaycar now sell head or chest mount - $20/32 which you will need to buy one of for diving .

I'm new to this type of photography but I'm really happy with the colours (better than I see it seems?) underwater and stills out of the water.  It's single focus with a concave view. I suppose this is done as most vids/stills will be close by.
Do it today because tomorrow has a habit of not turning out the way you want
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2014 at 5:56pm
Barx View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Just found the same unit on AliExpress for US$61 with free shipping.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/1967203663.html
Do or do not. There is no try.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2014 at 9:22pm
Barx View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

And another one :

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Gopro-Hero3-Style-Extreme-Action-Sport-Camera-with-Wifi-Support/1846192266.html?s=p
Do or do not. There is no try.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Diver9888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2014 at 7:55am
Diver9888 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Barx Barx wrote:

And another one :

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Gopro-Hero3-Style-Extreme-Action-Sport-Camera-with-Wifi-Support/1846192266.html?s=p

This one looks identical to the Jaycar one: orange clips, display box, button location, same remote etc
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Diver9888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2014 at 8:10am
Diver9888 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I can see wifi being of use to a skier/mtbiker, as they can stop and easily check progress and settings on a smart phone when they stop, but I don't know how much use it is for a diver unless there is someone on the shore/boat viewing it then sending out directions to get better shots.  The remotes not a lot of use in the water either.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phantom Menace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2014 at 10:38am
Phantom Menace View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Wifi doesn't work well through water (only inches).

I have an iPhone in a waterproof case that I took out on the boat and used to see the viewing angle before I swam off to attempt to shoot fish.

The wifi is also good for viewing footage post-dive on an iPad or other tablet (handy when away for the weekend and you want to  show your mates the ones that got away)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Will I Am Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2014 at 11:05am
Will I Am View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Any reviews on this unit yet guys? Appreciate feedback on pros or cons if available - cheers
"Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers." - Herbert Hoover
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GSPOT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2014 at 11:28am
GSPOT View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Will I Am Will I Am wrote:

Any reviews on this unit yet guys? Appreciate feedback on pros or cons if available - cheers

http://youtu.be/xnHDu-oW7_Y
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jaybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2014 at 7:48am
jaybee View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I went ahead and bought an SJ4000. Arrived quickly and I was impressed with all the fittings and extras that came with it. I have found it easy to operate and the HD video seems pretty top quality to me. (Never had a Go Pro so nothing to compare it to though)
I am carrying an injury so haven't had it in the water yet so can't comment on its underwater ability.
I purchased an extra battery for $5 but that took a little longer to arrive as it had to come surface mail. (Can't post batteries airmail).
I showed the camera to a mate who has a Go Pro and he was pretty impressed.
All up, cost $111 NZD landed.

Biggest bummer for me is that DX.com have now released the newer model:
The SJ5000 has increased to 14mp and the video screen on the back has increased in size from 1 1/2 inches to 2. This model is now wifi whereas the SJ4000 isn't.
Price is still the same $US 94.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote offsurfing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2014 at 12:08pm
offsurfing View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

does it have a mask fitting??
Page  123 4>