Smoking temperatures

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reelinauti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Smoking temperatures
    Posted: 18 Jul 2014 at 10:01pm
Reelinauti View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi guys

What is the best temperature for smoking fish. I have a cold smoker but think that I need temperature to do it right. Is there a temperature that works better. Let me know your thoughts

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2014 at 8:04am
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Try 70-80 deg Celsius for three hours and see how you go. 
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2014 at 9:19am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I smoke skinned fillets at 45 to 50 for 4 to 5 hrs
If smoker not full, fill up with chicken legs  jerk etc  these 6 to 7 hrs, then at end 20 to 30mins around 75 degs

Get below that and as u say "think that I need temperature to do it right." or may mean far longer smoke  overnight...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reelinauti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2014 at 10:42am
Silver
Silver

Cheers for that guys. Just made a new smoker so still trying to get the best out of it. Have to try the chicken legs.

Hopefully be able to smoke some broadbill and marlin too
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishing Addiction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2014 at 1:19pm
Fishing Addiction View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I try to keep the temperature about 60-65° for about 1.5 hours for snapper/kahawai and 2.5 hours for kingfish. Comes out mint
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reelinauti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2014 at 2:38pm
Silver
Silver

Is it the same temperature for blocks of Marlin or broadbill?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2014 at 4:41pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What ever temp u find best for your smoker.. if have heat then it depends on the size of what u are smoking and time so it doesnt go dry....
Except for chicken.. I go on the safe side make sure its also heat cooked right into the bone at the end
I cheat a bit on the drum sticks.. I used to marinate/ spice rub, but ran out of time one day and brought some  soya and honey plus some  chinese spice (???) from master butchers .. and have done so ever since.
Jerky is just thin topside ex butcher  or veineer schincle (sry cant get speling close enough for the spell checker lol) soake in soya/ Winchester sauce base marinate for 2 hrs.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote eynon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2014 at 4:54pm
eynon View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

whole brined chickens turn out good usually at 120c for several hours

pastrami
corned silver side soaked in water over night to remove salt then coated in ground coriander seeds and black pepper and smoked, found the temperature has to be higher to break down the connective tissue or it will end up chewy, wish i had a deli slicer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Olfart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2014 at 4:56pm
Olfart View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

Jerky is just thin topside ex butcher  or veineer schincle (sry cant get speling close enough for the spell checker lol) soake in soya/ Winchester sauce base marinate for 2 hrs.
Think you'll find that is Weiner Schnitzel, Keith....Tongue
Semper in excreta sumus, solum profundum variat....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2014 at 5:13pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by eynon eynon wrote:

whole brined chickens turn out good usually at 120c for several hours

pastrami
corned silver side soaked in water over night to remove salt then coated in ground coriander seeds and black pepper and smoked, found the temperature has to be higher to break down the connective tissue or it will end up chewy, wish i had a deli slicer

How long do you smoke/cook your silver side or is it a smoke and then boil?
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KikBac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2014 at 7:45pm
KikBac View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

x 2 on the pastrami. Corned silverside, soak in water for a few hours to remove some of the saltiness, rub in whole grain mustard, coriander seed, cracked pepper and dried chilli flakes!!!Smoke at 75 C for 3-4 hours. Slice it really thin as the chilli gives it a powerful kick. Awesome!
Beer: the most important meal of the day.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tas-tackle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2014 at 11:38pm
tas-tackle View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My temp gauge says 70c and I run the smoker unit for 4 hours in total..  but I have a water bath to cool
the smoke as it rises..
first two hours..  smoke .. heat and smoke generator.. vents open
third hour smoke only from smoke generator... vents closed
last hour ..smoke .. heat and smoke generator again.. vents half closed.
I just made notes the first time and revamped as needed over the next few times..   till i got the right mix in times and results
Each smoker will be different etc and you'll find your own best results...
Smoker looks magic....  well done
Try
Bacon thick rashes if you can..
Garlic .. cut top and bottom off exposing cloves.. little olive oil  ..put on tin foil top shelf
Onions.. cut big onions into 5-6mm rings..  leave whole..  on foil top shelf of smoker..
Eggs...   if cold smoking just  ..put eggs on top shelf  then treat as normal eggs.. scramble poach etc..
Mussels .. in the shell .. just steam open in colander over boiling water..till shell Just opens no more..
             open up clean up.. and place a knob of butter ..crushed garlic. and some fine chopped fresh parsley.. in each one..  or use chilli instead of garlic..  last hour of heat only..
Stuffed chicken breasts..  mix cream cheese ..  very fine chopped mushrooms and tarragon all together.
pinch of salt and white pepper...
Butterfly the chicken breast and put cheese filling inside..  pin together with wet toothpicks.. Pan fry till half cooked and place in smoker.. till you feel its cooked through..    add some peri peri to the cheese mix  if you want a bit of heat... 
I sometimes roll in "coat and cook"  before frypan..  adds nice flavour

http://www.tas-tackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reelinauti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2014 at 6:35am
Silver
Silver

Some good stuff in here guys. Certainly something to keep me interested and a few good receipes as well. Seems like around 70 c is a good smoking temp for fish. I read somewhere that 70 is good for marlin as well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2014 at 9:40am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

but I have a water bath to cool

If u dont have a water bath over the chips over the flame... fats can fall down , mess up the chips and cause a fire
Also without a water bath it is very difficult to get consistent lower temps..
2 other things influence lower temps , if find u cant get them...
Good door seals and the size of the exhaust at the top.
A trick for good door seals is to wipe the 'door jambs with vasiline/ fat / grease  whatever   then scotch brite the opposite surface of the door.. Put a good size beed of bathroom silicone sealer down the door, close the door , and leave for 24 hrs.
The grease stops the silicone sticking, perfect seal.
I also place a sheet of newspaper between body and silicone.. the grease is good but not perfect method.

Same method can be used for drafty wood windows around the house, a oven that the seals have gone, A 10 bolt Chevy diff cover, leaking rear car tail light lens etc.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reelinauti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2014 at 8:26pm
Silver
Silver

Thanks for that guys. Put my first kingi in the smoker. 70c for 3 hours. awesome Any more recipes or hints on how to do marlin and broadbill appreciated.

Thanks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KikBac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2014 at 5:35am
KikBac View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yep, for big chunks definitely do a wet brine. 500g rock salt, 500g brown sugar 1/2 cup malt vinegar dissolved in 2L hot water. Layer chunks in a bin (the vege bin in the bottom of fridge is perfect!) Add brine and sufficient cold water to just cover the fish and leave in fridge overnight. For variety add a dash of sweet chili sauce to the brine (or do half with & half without.) Then slow smoke as above...
Beer: the most important meal of the day.