Frewza f14

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jazzaB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Frewza f14
    Posted: 13 Jul 2014 at 6:44pm
jazzaB View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey everyone,i want a F14 and want to know are they as good as everyone portrays them to be ?Spoken to Brendon at Frews and seems a good guy. I currently have a good fryan 540 but want boat for my garage ,boat that is stable handles well , thinking of putting a Yam four stroke 50 on the back end , most of time have two up but every now and then 3 maybe 4 is this practible?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rotate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2014 at 6:51pm
Rotate View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

http://www.fishing.net.nz/asp_forums/frewza-alloy-pontoon-boats_topic29137_page1.html
this is the frewza thread mate.tons of info to sift through!i went with the F16 but there are a ton of info in that thread with guys that can answer any of your questions
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rotate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2014 at 6:52pm
Rotate View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

2 up mint 3 is doable 4 people start getting in the waySmile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jazzaB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2014 at 7:04pm
jazzaB View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Cheers Rotate, have read a lot on the threads and find them really good to answer many questions, thankfully 4 on board is not often, mostly take my old man hence want smaller weapon be easier on my pa handling wise,
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2014 at 8:40pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi Jazza B. First thing you need to ask is why do you want a F14. I felt the same way a couple of years back when i needed a better boat. Eventually after much research i bought one. Do i like it. Yes i like it alot. Reasons. It is just a nice boat to be in. Always feel safe. Like the high sides. Just big enough to handle solo without being too big to be cumbersome. The ride in a chop is like landing on a soft cushion. Those who have been out comment on the soft ride. Not a wet boat,except in the odd quartering sea when not paying attention. and the small cuddy gives protection and warmth in winter,and somewhere to keep your gear dry.
To me it is stable. so when your big mate leans over the side you are on it dosent feel like it will capsize. In fact it hardly moves. In a swell or big rolling chop at rest it dosent wallow & roll  side to side to the extent some boats do.Yes it goes up and down but not as much sideways roll as many boats.So i can fish standing if i want and feel stable.

Often i fish sitting down if bait fishing ,lines cast astern and rest rod on the stern combing. Just the right length of boat to be able to pick up your rod when a fish gets interested. If boat was much  longer and i couldnt fish like that.

Welding is excellent,stringers close together.
Plenty of shelving all around to put stuff,and takes weight anywhere. Amazing how much weight it can take aft. I never fish in anymore than a 15 knot forecast,and wouldnt even in a bigger boat,but thats just me. Having said that have been caught out fairly long  way off shore in 30 knot and no problems.
IMO its a 2 person boat. But could manage 3-4 if you had seating for that .

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jazzaB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2014 at 9:46pm
jazzaB View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Sorry Cirrus, have just seen your thread and avery positive and informative one at that, everything I hear above these boats is just so positive and encouraging . I hope to see one this weekend so looking forward to this.,,,, then be selling my boat and purchasing a f14, Tohatsu 50 on the end for grunt and reliabilty
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote daveo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2014 at 11:15pm
daveo View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Jonty and I spent a couple years fishing out of his F14frewza probably did 700+ hours in it. Awesome boats. Very safe never felt unsafe once even in 2m+ swells. We caught some awesome fish on it and would defiantly reccomend them. However I think there is abit of false info on the ride. They are a small pontoom boat and IMO ride very hard 

However like I said really great boats and they can customize to however you like. They will take you just as far as your fyran could(infact id probably feel safer in the frewza, just not as comfortable) and if you are in the market for a boat of that size and price range I dont think you can go wrong, probably the best value for money boat on the market...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2014 at 3:25pm
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I reckon Daveo's comment above is pretty damn accurate, however the one thing I did notice in a massive way regarding the ride on the F14 (coming from a Stabi 389 which is very similar) is that it seemed to be far better riding in a chop due to one thing... weight of the hull! A custom sheet of 4mm vs standard 3mm and also a full length and wide keel strip of 4mm on top of that for 8mm total and a slightly deeper forefoot.  Huge difference if you ask me, maybe due to the perception it was riding better due to less noise and banging from the thicker hull?!

You'd have to ride in both craft to see what I mean and believe me, it is so much quieter, stiffer and less 'bangy' than a standard 3mm pontoon hull. but yes, you have to remember it's basically a 13ft dinghy... just the most capable of it's kind in a way! Also the shape of the pontoons in a Stabi made it bury it's nose very easily in a trough - something that is proving very hard to do in the fuller pontoons of the F14.
https://www.youtube.com/user/troutboynz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jazzaB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2014 at 5:24pm
jazzaB View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Cheers guys I will def get the keel strip and the 4mm hull always like that little bit extra under me.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pirate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2014 at 6:04pm
pirate View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey Daveo did Jonty have a keel strip on his old f14?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kiwis fly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2014 at 9:03pm
Kiwis fly View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yes I have an F14 which I haven't had that long though it rides really well and I also had the keel strip put on though only because I knew I would need it to riding up on beaches and gravel and also when you hit the boat ramp at idle.....Not sure about the extra thickness in the hull as Brendan didn't advise it and apparently only a very few go for the extra thickness....I had it customised to suit as well which Frewza are very accommodating and a really good company to deal with...Brendan is a top guy with a good bunch of guys working for him :-))
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote daveo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 3:59am
daveo View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by pirate pirate wrote:

Hey Daveo did Jonty have a keel strip on his old f14?

Yeah but only a little one at the front not full length and hull only 3mm

Sounds like you and flyfisher are onto a good thing with the 4mm hull plus full keel strip though