Backbone Elite

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote petethemeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Backbone Elite
    Posted: 12 Jul 2014 at 9:35pm
petethemeat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Looking for opinion on the Backbone Elite spin 5-8kg (7'6"). Realise it's not top of the line but appreciate opinions. My current is an old Catana 6-8kg. (Which I actually really like)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gottafew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2014 at 2:32pm
Gottafew View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I like them.I have 2 of them for softbaiting.tbh nearly all my rods are Shimano BB Series.
When people ask me how we got on I say..Yeah We Gottafew.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2014 at 3:41pm
PJay View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Well, PTM, the only Shimano rods I've ever had just explode are 2 BBEs I used for softbaiting (each of them at the join, each whilst fighting quite good fish).

That's one reason I'm really happy to stay with the near-enough equivalent Catana 7'3"s. My 2 old purple Catana 732s have seen constant service all their lives in kayak fishing and are as good and usable as when brand new, now about 6 or 7 years ago.
PJ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote petethemeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2014 at 9:23pm
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks guys.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hatz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2014 at 8:56pm
Hatz View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Love my bbe it is my go to softbait rod. It has caught many good fish but none of them being big enough to brag about, hopefully it stays in one piece when that day comes
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote petethemeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2014 at 9:19pm
Platinum
Platinum

ok well, went to Fishcity today as I got a flyer about a Shimano Rarenium 4000 plus BBE 5-8kg 7'6" 2pc for $299. Seemed like a nice reel and v.light. Anyways sorted. I just hope I didn't get one of Pjays exploding rods! LOL  Well for that package price didn't think I could go too far wrong. Cheers for the input!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2014 at 9:56pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Very nice for the price, you will be more than happy.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stonefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2014 at 10:38pm
Stonefish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I got the Burnsco pamphlet today, they've got 50% off their BBE range if anyones interested. $75 for a BBE softbait rod.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 1Daz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2014 at 7:43pm
1Daz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I've seen the top half of a bbe explode on a 25cm snapper lol. A mate accidently put the top half of his bbe on the bottom half of his MWS sb rod... it was pretty funny
Go the Warriors!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kiwis fly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2014 at 9:29pm
Kiwis fly View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

So I take it the backbone elite is no good for snapper or sea fishing? LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kiwis fly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2014 at 9:29pm
Kiwis fly View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Though I'm sure bloody good for trout or salmon?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pauapolisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2014 at 9:42pm
Pauapolisher View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I have two and have thrashed em straylining and they held up for me...did find they a bit soft on the tip when SBing with them but great for slow jig/inchiku fishing and straylining...need to give them two good strikes to sink the hook. Moved to a status now and good so far so would recommend that as an allrounder.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2014 at 10:04pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I have a status and my son has a BBE. I have had the guides fail on the Status. The BBE is a nice rod to use. KF, they are great snapper rods just make sure you get one made for a spinning reel if thats what you are using. Arron has had plenty of decent snapper and some big tope on his, no problems at all dealing to big fish.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kiwis fly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2014 at 10:18pm
Kiwis fly View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks smudge though I just bought a BBE 4-8kg so what type of spinning reel would be good for this and I was thinking this rid would be way too light for cod or snapper though please advise me if you think I'm wrong?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2014 at 10:26pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

No it is definately not too light. I've used much lighter gear for big(ish) snapper. Take a look at softbait rods for example. Over sand 4 or 6 kg mono is plenty, that rod is rated for 8kg line. Rods usually break when they are used incorrectly, once your drag is slipping and a 2kg snapper will do that - then a bigger fish will not be able to bend the rod more will it? It will just take longer runs. Having said that PJay is very experienced and certainly knows what he's doing - sometimes rods do break.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kiwis fly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2014 at 10:35pm
Kiwis fly View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

So true and these rods are 7' which is a little bit long I would have thought for sea fishing though it will feel everything I'm sure?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote petethemeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2014 at 11:05pm
Platinum
Platinum

Why too long?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kiwis fly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2014 at 11:21pm
Kiwis fly View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Oh no reason though just thought maybe better for freshwater or am I so wrong??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Olfart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 12:30am
Olfart View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have an overhead model in 4 - 8kg and have an el cheapo baitcaster reel on it.  I use it fishing with bait and with lures and just love the sensitivity when detecting fishy type interest in shallow and deep water.  The rod is rapidly becoming my out and out favourite and have been having great success with it recently....
Semper in excreta sumus, solum profundum variat....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m@dfisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 9:41am
m@dfisho View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yeah I use an overhead 4-8kg BBE. I really like it. Use it for slow-jigs and softbaits. I cant fault although I havn't caught anything to big on it. The rod I use most the time now.
Page  12>