How Much Drag??

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KikBac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2014 at 5:14am
KikBac View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Steps, you have just described the 2-speed mechanism - a lower retrieve rate (or a smaller spool diameter) will indeed make it easier to retrieve line. Rate of retrieve however has nothing to do with drag settings, which will increase as the spool diameter decreases.
Beer: the most important meal of the day.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2014 at 5:49pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

A small spool is easier to turn for a given weight..u will notice this when winding the boat in on the winch....as the boat comes up on the trailer it is easy to drag up... as the layers of rope increase so does the amount of effort to wind ....also as u say the retive as the spool gets full per wind turn is greater...
So when there is a lot of line out, then start pulling , retreve per turn is less but  is lighter to pull in.
Because it is lighter one can tend to increase the drag....so it is harder for the fish to pull more line off.
As u get line in, the retreve per turn is greater but so is the effort, and it is very easy to forget the drag is still turned up as the fish also starts to tyer.. then it panicks when sees the boat, too much drag still on the reel....something gives.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2014 at 8:01pm
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I see what your talking about but the drag is set on a full spool of line or there abouts, when the fish is say 600+ out the back we drop our drag down somewhat, we dont go up, the water drag on the mono is your friend here but can be a bugger if your not on to it, dropping the drag has never done us any harm ever, yes more line on the spool as line comes in and yes there is weight and harder to wind, this is why game reels are not huge on the retrieve, Tiagras and I am guessing here so guys correct me is 1 to 1 on low and 2.5 to 1 on normal, some will argue that the jig reels are high speed and you get big fish on them, well yes they are, they are not game reels simple and not designed for it but then many are going that way, watch the future guys you game reels will be a lot smaller well if braid is ever allowed in comps but hey if your not fishing comps right now with the sellection of reels out there you can go do it now, lets face it you dont need big heavy Tiagras with 50 or 80lb mono 1000m when you can have a say a TLD 25 or 30 with alot more 50lb braid. 2 speed is great when the fish is dead or down deep and stubourn when fighting a fish 1 to 1 is a joke. 
We have found going to smaller gear has changed our ball game and the punters love it especially when a female can go and pick up a small reel and deal to a fish twice there size, sure gold looks good but you and your mates only know what your using the fish dont care, 
For years a boat out of toots called Fyranice fished with silstar game reels small light graphite reels which everyone said were sht but they got more marlin than most and the reels were serviced as per the norm .
You can have heaps of drag on a reel but then not all can handle it and lets face facts we are all different I have seen big guys smashed in the pit under heavy load but little guys with a different drag set by them with just the lever doing far better, sure the fin-nor spinning reel I got the 125k stripey on has 62lb of drag now I will say I wound it up that the fish could not pull line, in the end I had to reduce the drag because I could not hold on as it was the harness broke and the rod and reel ended up in the water, thank god for tether lines, I then ended up with so much drag I snapped a rod rated PE10 using PE8.
Drag yes it is needed but why put yourself in harms way here is a trick I was taught at the age of 7 when I caught my 1st game fish here is how it went... NANA "Stephen I have told you before use you thumb".......thwack with a wooden ruler.... "Stephen use your thumb" yes Nana only took a hit once on the knuckles, 
over the years and like my dad we use our thumbs for extra drag if we think it is needed, so set your drag for what it is designed and educate your thumb, simple stuff and I bet many do it now and dont even realise they are, try it out go and fish 4kg for Kahawai set the drag for the line rating then use ya thumb or finger and see just how easy it is, dont be fooled when people go on about pimping reels etc many and I can sit here and name a few straight off who believe you have to pimp them out to get what is needed, funny the reel maker dont see it this way. Ever seen a Tiagra pimped with new drags etc?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2014 at 11:03am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

"Stephen I have told you before use you thumb".......thwack with a wooden ruler.... "Stephen use your thumb" yes Nana only took a hit once on the knuckles,

Hmmm thats what happened to left handers at school... most cases didn't work but resulted in many of use being ambidextrous to some extentThumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2014 at 10:04am
jakepitsville View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

if people want to see if they can handle it, LOL  stand on the said boat with your 20kg weight (or larger) handing off the end or your rod (yes your all harnessed up) and stand there doing your pump motion for 2-3 hours.  see how you go. LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mangre 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2014 at 10:20am
mangre 2 View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

5 minutes, maybe fifteen until it becomes a stalemate and everyone catches there breath

Beautiful is better than ugly, Explicit is better than implicit, Simple is better than complex, Complex is better than complicated.      http://oceanmobilemap.blogspot.co.nz/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Motorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2014 at 11:59am
Motorhead View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

A small spool is easier to turn for a given weight..u will notice this when winding the boat in on the winch....as the boat comes up on the trailer it is easy to drag up... as the layers of rope increase so does the amount of effort to wind ....also as u say the retive as the spool gets full per wind turn is greater...
So when there is a lot of line out, then start pulling , retreve per turn is less but  is lighter to pull in.
Because it is lighter one can tend to increase the drag....so it is harder for the fish to pull more line off.
As u get line in, the retreve per turn is greater but so is the effort, and it is very easy to forget the drag is still turned up as the fish also starts to tyer.. then it panicks when sees the boat, too much drag still on the reel....something gives.

The opposite actually happens. The reel is in effect the driving gear when winding so if the spool is low you have a low gear, if the fish pulls, the reel becomes the driven gear so that combined with drag set from when the spool was full, will cause an increase in required force to turn the spool and accentuate  the drag setting. Consider a long lever, more torque, less effort. Short lever more effort required to turn mass/spool and when the fish is pulling the distance (R) from the rotational axis is shorter when the spool is empty.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2014 at 7:05am
the angler View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Talked to a bloke yesterday that told me he was gettin a tiagra 130 and was going to fish it with 45 kg of drag , how long do you guys reckon he would last ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2014 at 7:44am
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Not long as the reel only puts out 45kg max anywayLOL  but he may be fighting from the holder( watching too much "Hot tuna")
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2014 at 9:27am
jakepitsville View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Lol. Wondering how many 45kg deadlifts he can do bahahahaja
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote full sacks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2014 at 8:52pm
full sacks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by the angler the angler wrote:

Talked to a bloke yesterday that told me he was gettin a tiagra 130 and was going to fish it with 45 kg of drag , how long do you guys reckon he would last ?
I would say he would be asleep after 2 more handles one in every pub
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2014 at 11:11am
The Badger View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

2 hours standup with 30kg of drag on a stuborn bluefin that never took more than 200m of line but refused to come up from 50m down nearly wrecked me!!! Couldn't eat for 24 hours after.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote A C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2014 at 1:45pm
A C View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by the angler the angler wrote:

Hard to know but I'm 80kg dripping wet and did 30kgs at the rod tip for the last 3hours of a stoush once. I was a bit sore for two weeks, even my toes were stiff as if they'd been stood on and my back had bruises like seat belt rip after a smash.
Aye-Aye cloth eyes.
Page  <12