Newbies What fish would you most like to catch?

Page  123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newbies What fish would you most like to catch?
    Posted: 10 Jul 2014 at 9:34pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Let us know and we'll see if we can help. I know most will want to get a 20lb snapper and that's a great goal! For me it is a yellow fin tuna. I'm not a newbie but that's what I want Big smile
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2014 at 9:49pm
Fletch View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

John Dory. Seriously, I think I'm fishing the wrong spots, but what is the best tech? Whole dead pillies? Wharfs? I see heaps of people catching them at depth, but buggered if I can get one.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rusty360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2014 at 9:56pm
rusty360 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

a good king fish for meTongue
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote southernwanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2014 at 10:08pm
southernwanderer View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

1) kingfish 2) kingfish 3) kingfish!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2014 at 10:08pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

OK, JD an admirable target!

JD's are all about location, they like structure. They tend to be a solitary fish although most JD spots have them in spread out locations. They love structure especially around wharves. A small livie such as a jack mackeral on a dropper rig in close to the wharf piles can work wonders. I have seen them in nice and close of rocks in the Coro area too but it can be tricky to get a livey! They really go for jigs of the old fashioned kind, I've caught a few on silver Grim reapers and Lethal lures back in the 80's. Lethal from these forums is one of the few I've heard from that could go out and target Johnnies and come back with a bin full.

King fish are my bogey fish. I've caught loads of the buggers up to 16kg or so but nothing bigger. IMO any legal king is a good fish but I'd love to get a 20 one day. Kings, like JD's really do need to be targeted. Despite my experience on the Manukau, I'm one of the few that regularly fish on my boat that have yet to catch one from the muddy or the west coast. I've caught them in places I rarely fish but not on my home ground where they are reasonably common.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote eynon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2014 at 10:09pm
eynon View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

A landbased Manukau gurnard
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2014 at 10:16pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Crikey, wish I could help you there but I've never tried Eynon. Best advice I could give you based on my boat fishing is to try from April through to October two hours either side of low tide using mullet or skipjack baits.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote 1Daz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2014 at 10:26pm
1Daz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Fletch Fletch wrote:

John Dory. Seriously, I think I'm fishing the wrong spots, but what is the best tech? Whole dead pillies? Wharfs? I see heaps of people catching them at depth, but buggered if I can get one.

Put a live jack mack down next time your fishing a mussel farm. I do when ever fishing the farms and the conversion rate is pretty good.At least 50%.
Go the Warriors!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote samax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2014 at 10:40pm
samax View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I've seen gurnard caught at low tide off the oyster covered area at blockhouse bay beach to the left if you look across the harbour and casting out towards the channel don't know if it helps but thaught I'd chuck it up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote aaronnco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2014 at 12:32am
aaronnco View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Just a simple Kahwahi or Mackerel.  Because on those days when every fish is just undersized,  at least I can go home with a simple KW or Mack,
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2014 at 8:10am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by eynon eynon wrote:

A landbased Manukau gurnard
we get a few with a offshore wind at low tide in the centre of kaitarakihi bay,on the way to huia,generally late evening or early morning before the public turn up in february/march.

my objective this year is a decent snapper 14lb+,been along time between fish of this size 15/16 yrs
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big Manly Yaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2014 at 9:10am
Big Manly Yaka View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Guys I know that are targeting JD's are using livies, but I've got a few on sb lately, not necessarily targeting them just lucky when chucking the sb in around reefy structure. Always the prize of the day bringing one of those fellows home.
Kingfish is definitely an ongoing ambition, I've only caught one on the yak around 10kg earlier this year(on a livie) and would dearly love to get more (bigger), and to become more adept at it.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clifftastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2014 at 10:00am
Clifftastic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

A 10lb trout and watch it swim away. Was excited last year when I got a 6.6 and thought this had to be close, rushed inside to hold it up against a mounted 10lber and it is so far off.......
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jabba400 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2014 at 10:29am
Jabba400 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

A keeper Snapper from the Kapiti surf (or any d*mn size, really).  And some more of those lovely Kahawai (really tasty). Any more. At all.

Or just any darned fish at all would be nice at this point.

In the last three trips, a mates daughter foul hooked a sprat on a surf cast lure, and the daughter caught a Salmon on a Warehouse kids rod and reel set.  That's it.  Chucked about $30 of bait at the ocean (along with a few hooks and sinkers and a few metres of leader on occasion). 

I think I go back to the basic pillie on a string, and just concentrate on a) getting it out there and b) getting the gear back, and let the fish worry about hanging on in between.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Devon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2014 at 5:07pm
Devon View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I want to catch a bigger yellow fin tuna off my own boat than my grandad did 20 years ago.47kg I'm pretty sure . I wouldnt mind a 20lb snap tho!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hatz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2014 at 11:19pm
Hatz View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Love catching snapper but a johnny or decent sized kingy would be nice.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2014 at 11:34pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

A 60cm + gurnard in the Manukau.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2014 at 3:18am
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ive caught a 24 pound snapper..released two 16's........so a 30+ kg king is on my bucket list or even a 40 kg one!
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Vundu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2014 at 6:48am
Vundu View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Always happy , whatever I catch but trevally I like the most. Still looking for the big one. And the salmon that I lost at the canals last year. Was close to the landing net when it came of.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2014 at 9:13am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We go out for a relaxing day on the water and a feed... which is why we are basically burley/ bait orientated... anchor up rather than drift / drive..  thu with the new sounder picking up a few more on the soft baits...
So much depends on how the wind holds the boat on the tide...ideally couple flasher/ droppers under the boat, couple stray lines out the back and a live bait or frame out from there....
Even a good size shark is a lot fun
Or  boil up, hit a few KYs , lotta fun again.

So we get all sorts species, in order, Snapper, KY ,  gurnard, wrasse, Trev, JD ....and a few undersize kings.

best snapper so far a 17lb, thu had a couple quite bigger ones didnt weigh, just pics.
A 75cm KY the wife hit as one of her very 1st fish...
I would like to hit a good kingie......

But at this point more into enjoy the surroundings, and a feed as a nice bonus... though thinking wider trips , weather and budget permitting this coming spring/ summer.....channel Island, corro..
And whatever fish... a bonus.
Page  123>