dredges

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catcha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: dredges
    Posted: 07 Jul 2014 at 8:24pm
Catcha View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

hi all just after abit of info from those in the know.ive resisted the temptation to try a dredge as we only fish a 5.3mtr boat and have limited room.but our corners don't receive any action what so ever so I think it might be time to try one. I was wondering how small a dredge can be before it loses attraction?and if billfish are the main target am I better off with say 6 big lures on the dredge or 20 small ones presuming they have the same amount of drag?any ideas would be good, cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2014 at 9:07pm
the angler View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I think the more the better as the idea is to imitate a school of tightly packed bait fish . First heard about em couple of years ago when bonze did a presentation at fishing club and remember him saying something along the lines of the top boats overseas don't leave port without one .
I tend to agree with him now.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2014 at 9:35pm
jakepitsville View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Big thread in this from start season
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote segador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2014 at 11:38pm
segador View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

get one mate you wont be dissapointed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nimbus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2014 at 4:12pm
Nimbus View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Run double halliards on your riggers. This will get your corners a little further to the side of boat and also run higher. I did this on my 6m alloy boat and immediately started getting fish on the two corners. Also ended up starting my spread another wave back as the rigger height allowed some forgiveness.

Also add the end of the day it doesn't matter if one position won't catch fish, as it is the spread of the pack that works together to bring a fish in and take anyone of the lures. Job done!

Following this theory keep the corners big and aggressive and let you easy eat lures on the riggers pick up the fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catcha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2014 at 9:47am
Catcha View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

interesting nimbus,we dropped our riggers and shot gun further back late this season and within 2 hours had a double strike of marlin and we also caught mahi on the shotty which hadnt caught fish before so im a believer.im toying with the dredge idea as being under the prop wash its going to be highly visible which I think maybe the problem with my shorts?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nimbus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2014 at 11:17am
Nimbus View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

This season I also ran a dredge. A three tier stick bait EZ6 from tournament cable. Though now running a 35ft I had one out each side. You can set up a pulley system to hand retrieve. I have them attached half way up rigger to get in to clear water.

The chartreuse colour we ran on the starboard side accounted for four marlin (2 dropped) and a mahimahi. All on a legend Andi positioned two meters behind.

Very nice units.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sea2Sky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2014 at 4:50pm
Sea2Sky View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hey Nimbus, I don't suppose you have a picture of how you've got your double halyards rigged? Interested in how I can get my corners slightly higher and wider like you mention. Thks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catcha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2014 at 4:56pm
Catcha View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

yes I would also be keen to see how the double halyards work
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Skiving off Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2014 at 11:49am
Skiving off View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi, Can anyone recommend better or favourite colours for Dredges on the East coast? thanks (to many options out there and we are just setting up so would love your recommendations)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote segador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2014 at 3:59pm
segador View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Skiving off Skiving off wrote:

Hi, Can anyone recommend better or favourite colours for Dredges on the East coast? thanks (to many options out there and we are just setting up so would love your recommendations)
get the bonze one with pink squids and shiny fish strips watched a fish sitting behind it for ages that was on the east coast