UV activated Resins

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MarkE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: UV activated Resins
    Posted: 01 Jul 2014 at 6:23pm
MarkE View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Can anyone recommend a good resin for epoxy flies? Ive found bug bond on TM but seems very expensive for a 20ml bottle...
Sea Strike 18' Centre Console - Under Construction....Build Thread here
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2014 at 8:39am
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I bought some from the UK.. It was a bit of a pain as I had to do it through ebay, but they didn't quote NZ postage so I had to put a postage request in and pay for it with paypal -not a big deal though as I already have a paypal account anyway.   I bought two bottles of resin, standard and "light" which is runnier and an LED light. It cost just under $48 for the lot, including postage. The LED light looks quite good, for what it cost I was surprised. It's an aluminium body with 12 LED's at the business end. I've had chance to use it a little, and I'm loving it, and at these prices very affordable less than $12 for 15ml. Here's a link http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UV-CURED-RESIN-THE-BUG-THAT-BONDS-FOR-FLYTYING-CHEAPEST-ON-EBAY-/370594459484?pt=UK_SportingGoods_FishingAcces_RL&hash=item564926af5c
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sho_gun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2014 at 8:51am
Sho_gun View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Tack Free Clear Cure. I like the brush on bottle as it so easy to apply. Sets hard/tack free in seconds with UV torch. Have tried a few other products however this is my favourite.
re price it really depends on what you are making. I mostly use mine for nymphs so a small bottle lasts me ages.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2014 at 9:11am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We where discussing in another recent thread a similar subject.. painting sinkers etc with fluro / UV.
If u go on trademe a seller called  Glow   has products including powers that glow (and paints I think) that one can mix into paints resins  etc...
Why epoxy?  and not araliite?
Found ariadite far better results in most mediums.Or maybe a isophatic resin, as used in fiberglass boats... far longer working time.???
Just thinking outside the box....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sho_gun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2014 at 2:14pm
Sho_gun View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Because you can set UV activated expoxy in seconds and move onto the next fly. With slower drying resins you need to set them on a rotating device to avoid resin from dripping off to one side.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bryce_s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2014 at 2:59pm
bryce_s View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Ive used Loon UV Knot Sense and it works fine.  Very cheap.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote T T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2014 at 4:53pm
T T View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by bryce_s bryce_s wrote:

Ive used Loon UV Knot Sense and it works fine.  Very cheap.

+1
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MarkE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2014 at 6:59pm
MarkE View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cheers guys. Will give the Loon Knot sense a go and see what its like.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MarkE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2014 at 1:58pm
MarkE View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Found this - http://www.hydrosurf.co.nz/solarez-fly-uv-resin-3-pack/psr75807.aspx
$15.95 for 3 tubes plus free shipping Wink

The guy selling the same thing on TM wants $17 plus shipping for just the 1 tube....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote EditB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2014 at 11:51am
EditB View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Ordered some of the Solarez last Thursday arvo from the link MarkE posted, got notification within the hour they had shipped it and it arrived this morning. Looking forward to giving them a whirl!
I do not lie about fishing, I willingly participate in a campaign of misinformation.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MarkE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2014 at 10:34am
MarkE View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Its good stuff and you cant beat that price :)

I used a $20 Black Magic UV torch from Hunting & Fishing to set the resin....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote o Neill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2014 at 7:13am
o Neill View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Tried Bug bond. Used the UV torch that is sold with the same brand, followed instructions and the bodies all are still tacky! Dozen flies stuffed and still have the problem!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote EditB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2014 at 10:43am
EditB View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

from what I've read a little wipe of rubbing alcohol will take the tack off oNeill.

The solarez suffers a little from this but not too much.
I do not lie about fishing, I willingly participate in a campaign of misinformation.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote o Neill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2014 at 11:26am
o Neill View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks Ill look to get some. Had suggested also applying clear nail varnish but that would make the flies too bulky, Considering though I needed a UV torch, separate nozzles and the Bug Bond itself, NOT impressed!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote corokid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2014 at 1:10pm
corokid View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

In the interest of saving your flies , pop them in the sun for a little while Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote o Neill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2014 at 2:02pm
o Neill View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Tried that still tacky!
Sending the stuff back tomorrow.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote desmofrankie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2014 at 6:23pm
desmofrankie View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

That really sucks considering that you bought the original stuff! Confused

I have some of that cheap UV nail polish they sell on ebay, cost you 3 bucks, it doesn't set with a cheap UV torch, I didn't want to pay the price of a real Bug Bond (or other) torch just to see if it works but in the sun it sets perfectly hard and tack free...
Far form perfect since you have to relly on sunny days to finish your flies but at that price it's worth considering.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote o Neill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2014 at 7:37pm
o Neill View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hopefully I'll get a refund!
Going to try Loon Knot sense see what happens but have to tie some new smelt patterns first.
did nt need this one the back of the Sage problems and the problems with local streams access and angler numbers!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2014 at 3:34pm
Pole Dancer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It seems the Solarez sets better than most and a lot of it is dependent on how much light your torch gives out. Peter Carty has a main powered torch which does an awesome job. personally I set mine in the vice to get it to the hard but tacky stage and then put in a manicurists light oven to cure for about 30 minutes, solid as a rock. Cheap as chips on TradeMe.

For some jobs, IE: Crease Flies, you still can;t beat Epoxy!

www.clarkreid.co.nz   FFF Certified Casting Instructor / Umpqua Designer Tier
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rudy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2014 at 8:43pm
Rudy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Ditto - I have had no end of problems with torches. Got sick of wasting money on torches, so I use a nail lamp like Clark's above.  Easy peasy. 

Diamond Hard is the only brand I know of that is not sticky. 

As I understand it, the UV resins are designed to be sticky - it helps the next layer to adhere.  Even in nail salons, they wipe the nails and/or lacquer them with ordinary clear nail polish as a top coat.

Would still like to try a main-powered torch though...
Page  12>