Bluefin from the HULK

Page  <1 2345>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crazy Horse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 8:52pm
Crazy Horse View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

They still may be hooked up or still drinking rum in the Anus. Only those who have been down there in Westport would understand that
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 8:58pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

HULK, there are heaps of softies like me huddled over keyboards peering at monitors wearing our slippers and sipping hot cocoa waiting for something to happen! What's going on? We want some excitement in our lives!!!

Maybe I'll go watch some replays of CSI or something ....

Hope you get one.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Raging Bull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 9:09pm
Raging Bull View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt
Big Sexy

Suspense is killing me!!

I'm sending good juju your way!!! Smash em!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishing Addiction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 9:16pm
Fishing Addiction View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Go get some monster tuna. Can't wait for the report from the HULK
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LBGer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 9:32pm
LBGer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

He should have left the 130 behind and tried the fly rod.....
A king on the bricks is worth 5 in a boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (5) Likes(5)   Quote HULK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2014 at 8:32pm
HULK View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Alright guys, we're back. Needed a day to recover from that trip!!!
So we left on Saturday morning early, towed 10 hours to wellington and then found out that the ferry was running late. Finally got to picton about 11pm after the dickhead on the ferry guided me back into a jackknife. Up the next morning and drove to Westport just in time to see cova rose come in from catching 2 on the first night. Off we went about 90km offshore and as soon as we arrived there was a trawler getting ready to haul his nets. Had a go around that but we hadn't figured out how hard to go around them yet. nothing happened. Then it got dark and it was pretty overcast so with no horizon visable and the weather worse than forecast my whole crew got themselves sick and I was the only one standing. Chased a few foreign boats around and managed to spool our number one set up, not the way you want to be spooled tho, something blew off the boat, hooked up the trace and spooled us while we were motoring along!!! Crap, time to get out the next best setup, after chucking this out the first time I noticed my mate had done an underwrap when we rigged it so we had to empty off 1km of line and wind it back on. Half way thru emptying it I noticed it got heavy, yep, damn shark on the end.
By the time we got this sorted we couldn't see any trawlers, motoered back in the direction we last saw them for 20mins and still couldn't find them. Crew was stuffed by now with sea sickness and we had no idea what to do without a trawler in sight. So wrote off the night and went to bed.
Next morning the crew was still a bit shakey but not as bad. Managed to get a friend at home to look on the AIS and found out the trawlers had all taken off almost 100km south!!! we certainly didn't count on that when planning out our fuel!
So did some number and dipsticking in the tanks, decided we could get down there and back but wouldn't have much left to chase the trawlers. So off we went. Got down there in the afternoon and found all the trawlers, had to be pretty smart about how much moving around we did as the gas situation was pretty tight! Had some kiwi trawlers let us know when nets were coming up so tried around them, then had 2 legend captains sit up and process for us for a while, first one for half an hour but nothing took. Next time the trawler sat around for hours for us. We fished right next to cova rose and after an hour of backing almost up the trawlers back door covarose hooks up 20m away from us, we ended up stuck between them and the trawler and I was freaking when I could see their line coming straight at us. Eventually managed to escape with out cutting them off.
We stayed there for another couple of hours chucking baits at the trawler and all the fish crap coming out the side. we did this all night in fact, 6am saw the horizon just starting to light up, we were out off chum now, completely stuffed from lack of sleep, had 2 or 3 hoki left for bait and drifted off the trawler in despair.
Mate was winding in the second last bait while slumped over the side half asleep when suddenly he's screeming that he's hooked up! None of us could believe it as we were broken. But after about 3.5 milliseconds we were all frothing and backing up on the fish which was taking off on the surface, pretty sure our howling could be heard for many miles at this stage!
15mins later the fish dived deep and looked like it was about to really get going when suddenly it all went slack. gear was fine, just the damn hooked pulled out after 20mins!!
To say we were gutted was an understatement. we had nothing left, so with our tails between our legs and our eyes hanging out our heads we started the 2.5 hour cruise back to Westport. Had heard another trailer boat offereing someone gas if they needed it and that was the only reason I felt comfortable pushing it so close with gas, so finding the most economical speed and trim possible we got back after an eternity, dropped the guys off to get the vehicle, reversed out to drive the boat on the trailer and ran out of gas!!!
made it by 50mls!!!
Phew, the drive from Westport to picton was the hardest drive Ive ever done, all 3 of the guys were slumped over snoring and ive never fought sleep so hard in my life. But we made it.

Learnt heaps, had an awesome time, will do a few things different next time, and made it home without any majors. Stoked to have hooked up, but gutted to have missed out.
But hey, next year we'll be in and we'll be ready this time!
Go get nice and fat Bluefin, we're coming back!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2014 at 8:38pm
yknot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

great read, well done on planning the trip.
Those that say it can't be done are being overtaken by those doing it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fsholc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2014 at 8:44pm
fsholc View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Mate thats putting in the hard yards!
But unlike us sitting at home you went and gave it a go and im sure you will nail one next year!
Awesome effort boys Clap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2014 at 8:46pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well that experience will set you up for a mint trip next time,not a good road to be driving tired on tho
2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2014 at 9:00pm
the demon View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Good on ya mate,out there doing it .Great read
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishing Addiction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2014 at 9:29pm
Fishing Addiction View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Mate that's an insane read. Thanks for sharing . still loads of memories on that one
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2014 at 10:21pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

You'll go back and you came a damn sight closer to catching one than most of us who've never even tried. A great adventure! Bluefin tuna just aren't meant to be easy.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote segador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2014 at 10:31pm
segador View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

took a big set of nuts to do that crazy mission awesome mate next year aye
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2014 at 7:39am
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That sounded like a hell of a mission and a huge learning curve. Appreciate the write up.
What made the crew so sick, really ugly sea?
Will it be next year before round two.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2014 at 7:55am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

A bunch of nutters - good on you!Thumbs Up
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2014 at 10:07am
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cheers for the post and the trip was a great learning curve for sure. The reward next time will make it all worth while.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2014 at 11:12am
the angler View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Wow that's a serious mission to undertake .
Good on ya for ripping into it though .
Would you do a charter next time ? Sounds like the skipper done all the work .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Torpedo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2014 at 12:52pm
Torpedo View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Shot Hulk, solid effort right there.
Sashimi's going to taste that much sweeter next year.

Bucket list trip for sure to give it a crack from a trailer boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2014 at 1:34pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Thanks for the write up Hulk, Thumbs Up
its not easy even in a big boat but just the experience of having done it will always be with you...
the skippers of the Kiwi boats are decent sorts for sure, even some of the Kiwi observers on the foreign boats are ok as well, them being up high can let you know whats in the water around their boat/net..

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote HULK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2014 at 4:55pm
HULK View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by MATTOO MATTOO wrote:

That sounded like a hell of a mission and a huge learning curve. Appreciate the write up.
What made the crew so sick, really ugly sea?
Will it be next year before round two.

It wasn't that rough, but quite a swell running the first night. Think the biggest thing was that it was really overcast and pitch black. looking out of the boat was like looking into a big black hole, so was a pretty strange feeling rocking around like that 90km from shore.
Page  <1 2345>