Allenco 8m Side Consol

Page  123 5>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allenco 8m Side Consol
    Posted: 03 May 2014 at 10:28am
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi guys, I have started talking about this boat in the other Allenco boat thread, "Captains Dreamtime", but as that is mostly about my 5.5m side consol, I thought I would start putting progress pics etc of the 8m boat, the "Ramonalola", that is to head up to the Solomons as soon as it is finished here on its own thread.
A review. I have for a long time wanted a good Me sized boat for fishing in the Solomons, I go to a resort called Zipolo Habu (google it if you want), and they use the now traditional yamaha longboat style boats for their fishing charters. These are great boats, but are a little lacking in beam and gunnel height for my liking, and are also pretty damn basic.... pretty much every time I go out, I think "Damn I wish I had my boat here!", but kiwi boats tend to have cabins and hardtops, or as they can be called in the solomons "Saunas"- the Sols are the natural home for centre consol boats, lots of air, good old outboard powered air conditioning.
However, I have come to have a bit of a dislike of centre consols. The huge plus of recovering all the waste space that is a cabin and foredeck on your average kiwi boat is to my mind bashed about a lot by the fact that for the larger posteriored, such as myself, moving around a centre consol means awkward shuffling, hanging on to canopy frames for support, and generally a lack of comfy seating.
The layout I far, FAR prefer is a side consol. I will pop in a pic or two of my 5.5m Allenco here now to demonstrate...

As you can see, with the side consol (with consols off set to allow for a better thru flow from helm seat to bow) you have a way better fore-aft access up the balanced and stable centre of the boat, without having to shuffle side ways around a centre consol, on the tippy outside of the boat. It is SO much nicer!
You still recover the cabin and bow space for fishing or seating, as per pics, you have lots of comfy seating, it is way easier to run controls etc to a side consol than a centre consol...to me it is just way more practical.
So that is the basic layout I have decided to use for the larger 8m version of this boat I am sending to the islands.
The boat is to be built on the same general hull... Allencos 6.2m hull The 5.5m is a shortened version of it, the 8m is lengthened. This is mainly so that it can still fit into a container to be shipped up there, but also the beam is sufficient for comfort, the extra length will just add more stability and efficiency to the hull, so that hopefully I will be able to power the boat with 2 x 90hp Suzukis.
If, on trials here in NZ, they are not sufficient, then I will pop 140s on her.

Anyhow, that is some of the background on the boat, here are a few pics of the built process to date....
The boat has, as I stated before, a raised floor to make it self draining, as boats live on mooring up there, and bilge pumps can never be relied on. Also in the interests of safety and unsinkability, we have the sides sealed as "pontoons", to give gunnel high floatation, also something I have on my 5.5m boat and something I personally feel should be compulsory in all boats really.
She will be a very basic boat electronically... no bilge pumps (no need for one), no wash down pumps, although MAY put in a pitot feed pipe for a hose so we can use say an ice bin for a livie tank. I ditched the planed live bait tank in the transom, it just wasn't something I felt would be used enough to justify having, instead that has become the battery box etc. Another decision that was easy to make.
Other electronics will just be basic nav lights, a sounder/gps - a Simrad NSS9 Evo 2 to be precise, so I can have structure scan, regular sounder, CHIRP sounder and maps all in the one unit. And a VHF.  No sound system, no cockpit or deck lights, nothing else to corrode, fail and give grief.
Hydraulic steering too.

This is the boat with floor (self draining) and for'ard raised casting deck in place, having just had the hull fully welded etc, being flipped back over to allow fit-out to continue. The lass in the pic is the daughter of the resorts owner in the Solomons, Ramona, who the boat is named after. Shows the size of the boat quite nicely though I think! :-)
....must dash, will post more pics up in a few hours when I get back.... ttfn.
OK, to continue....

This is how she stands at the moment, the consols are in, we are just nutting out seating for the helm, and the other seating etc.

To allow enough room for helm seating, and to give me more storage for tackle boxes etc, I have replaced the forward facing double seat with a shelved bench as pictured here. This way tackle boxes are nice and high, you dont need to bend double to get stuff out of them, and the forward facing seat would have been too cramped to be comfy anyhow.
The limited space aft of the consols is because up in the islands, the bulk of my fishing will be casting forward and out the sides, poppering etc, The greatest amount of fishing space is forward....
... tons of room for fishing from the raised fore deck, as well as immediately aft of it, standing basically where that ice bin is. We had a very agricultural looking throne on the foredeck, it was enormously practical , but looked like crap, so it has been cut off, and we are going to put in something far more nicely designed.
Under the deck, the central part will have a hatch, it is waterproof and long enough to store safely rods etc, so that if going to town and tying up on a dock, rods etc can be locked away from prying eye and acquisitive fingers. The side spaces will be open, and good for other storage, particularly fuel, each side can comfortably take two tote tanks, giving 6 tanks for longer trips.
Note...the side rails are no on yet.
The cockpit space though is more limited...

However, it is still more than enough to fish comfortably out of. At most only one person will be casting from back here, it really is just a sitting down type fishing space, trolling or bottom fishing. For this it is good, the rods are nice and close to hand, it is only about 1.2m from the back of the seats to the transom, fighting fish from the seats will be very easy indeed.
You can see the pods there for the twin 90hp motors as well.
The aft facing seating will be upholstered to soften the bleak construction of alli, but we have also added gunnel arm rests, partly because they are damn comfy like that, partly to give a handy little dryish storage for folks' ciggie packets etc, and other needful things, and also to increase the spray protection for those sitting there...

The seat beside the helm position, my seat (as up there you have a local driver you see, so you can yell at them when they hit bommies) is to be a swivelling pedestal seat as well. This means the elimination of the forward facing double seat planned on the port side (as above, the starboard one is also gone to make that bench space)....

it too has that raised arm rest of the aft facing seats, to maintain consistency in the look of the boat, leaving a gap on the gunnel however so that when swiveled to face backwards, I can have more space to bottom fish from.
By losing the forward facing seat there it has given me the chance to put in two nice and VERY handy shelves for tools, lures, hooks, that sort of stuff. Everything is a compromise, but that is a good one I think.
I am a bit sorry to lose the two forward facing cockpit seats, but what the hell, the boat is after all designed for me and a couple of mates to fish from, if more people come along than 3 plus a driver, then they can sit on the ice bin or up for'ard, anywhere really, there is still a ton of room in the boat.
Well, more pics when they come available, cheers all, Stu.

It is only my overwhelming natural humility that mars my perfection.

Captain Asparagus, Superhero, Adventurer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DezzyTooToo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2014 at 11:26am
DezzyTooToo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Two words ,.......... BIONIC WOMAN . 
I love cats ......... I just can`t eat a whole one .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishing Addiction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2014 at 11:37am
Fishing Addiction View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Keep the pics coming. Loving these creative builds
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Don18025 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2014 at 7:52am
Don18025 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Holy mackerel, Captain...
We have not seen the sea trial report on the 5.5 and Harvey is about to finish the 8m.
You have had Harvey the cutter and welder working flat tack!
Do like the look and appreciate the thinking that has gone into both boats.
Keep up the news reports.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Double Shot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2014 at 1:03pm
Double Shot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Must have shares in Allenco by now Capt.... it's all looking pretty sweet...will continue to follow...
70ml of 90deg C water pressurised through 13g of roasted finely ground tamped coffee for 25sec's to make a distinguishing sensory hit called a Double Shot    
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2014 at 2:12pm
Titanium
Titanium

Haven't actually done a sea trial on the little boat yet... It is pretty much ready to go, just the driver, ie: me, is too soft to take it out in cold weather. I just did two weeks in western oz, and by cripes coming back to this climate is a bit of a shock to the system lol.
Some time in the next week though I hope to get her out on the water for a good run in. May even get some nice pics with the girls on the boat if asked nicely :-)
Otherwise, it'll be me in my mankini, and that is a thought too horrible even for me to contemplate.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2014 at 2:49pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You in a Mankini stu conjures up a disturbing picture in my head,please ,pretty please find 2 suitably experienced models to take your place
2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2014 at 6:31pm
Titanium
Titanium

I shall do my best! :-)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Don18025 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2014 at 7:55pm
Don18025 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Captain we want you to give us a report on the boat.
PLEASE no photos of the mankini!
Oh ok, just one then?!?!?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Get in behind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2014 at 8:11pm
Get in behind View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Great to see a boat manufacturer who will entertain your visions.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Martini Max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2014 at 9:13pm
Martini Max View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Don, you're a very sick puppy if you'd want to see Stu (un)dressed like that..LOL

"I do nothing..I do it well.. I then move on to doing more of nothing"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2014 at 9:28pm
Titanium
Titanium

Don....you frighten me! Eek!
OK, some more pics of the boat, makiniless....
We have been working out the seating. I want a comfy seat up on the foredeck so when we zip a few hundred metres between bait schools when poppering, you can just flop down in a handy seat rather than go to the seats down the back, pretty obvious really, and the first evolution of this seat was.... awful. It ticked every box needed for functionality, it was great for all that, it just looked like crap, even with something pretty in it....

I wanted it to use as a bit of a leaning post so when standing on the foredeck, if there were a bit of a roll on the water you could kinda brace your hip against the arms to steady you. I wanted it to be a big roomy comfy chair, I wanted the back high enough that you can stand behind it with one hand on the back rest to get a bit higher when looking for FADs etc...it was perfect for all these things, it jst didnt look right.
So....it came off.
Today we decided instead just to go with a common or garden pedestal type seat. When we were looking at it, Harvey mentioned if we wanted to take it off, perhaps we could put the seat in the corner in front of the passenger consol. I was very pleased...as I had been thinking the previous couple of days about where we could pop in another seat, as with the reduced seating in the back, if we do have 4 anglers going out, we would be one dedicated seat short, and the place harvey mentioned was exactly the place I had in mind to see if there would be room.... and by crimminy, there is! :-)

It fits in just fine as a fourth seat, with my seat behind the consol, it looks like this....

...the box for the pedestal seat on the foredeck is right there in the foreground, I will have to go to Tauranga FCO tomorrow to get a couple more seats I guess, but in place it looks thusly...

we are going to reduce the size of the pedestal base a bit to make it a little less intrusive.
I was concerned though about losing forward vision from the helm, but this is the view from a seated height behind the helm....

However, that is seated, from a standing position, which is what they would be doing when crossing shallow waters, that should be way less of an impairment.

So, all in all, I think it is coming along well. After I do the tauranga run tomorrow and get the new seats, pop them all in place, I will hope to pop up some more pics.
Night all. Stu.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote notalloyit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2014 at 3:51pm
notalloyit View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

naked rsoles, they look like very solid wee puppies. a tribute to the craftsman welder.

BNS Design & Print LTD 0800 733 000   for all printing needs, special rates for website members. Free freight NZ wide.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2014 at 8:24pm
Titanium
Titanium

took an update pic of the side passenger seat (my personal throne), with the storage box/pedestal seat base, and the bench top/seat placement for the helm seat in the foreground.
I am not totally sure about having that rim on the bench top swing around like that, I think I would prefer to have it go around the whole top, the seat after all will swivel over top of the lip, and by having that lip where it is behind the seat, it may be just a 'n'th smaller than you'd need for something. I know what I mean :-) I will think on about it :-)
However, this shot does show the two very handy little shelves behind my seat, they will be terrific for assorted lures, pliers, lip grips, all sorts of those little things you just don't have time to put away in a box right immediately, or want securely if temporarily stowed so they are easily at hand :-)
Anyhow, that is todays update. Went over to FCO to get a seat, while there picked up an epirb for the 5.5m boat, a folding anchor, a bit of chain, a bow rope, stuff like that. $650 odd later....ouch. Expensive day.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rockz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2014 at 8:35pm
rockz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

hey stu, you bringing the 5.5 to the boat show?

will harvey have any boats there?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muzzfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2014 at 8:40pm
Muzzfishing View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Looking good Capt boat pictures are ok to good to see another build, nothing like a new project..
    A Good Skipper Keeps the water on the outside of the boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2014 at 8:52pm
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by rockz rockz wrote:

I was talking with Harvey earlier on today and apart from possibly having a quick look around the boat show he won't have anything on show .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rockz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2014 at 9:15pm
rockz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Legacy Legacy wrote:

Originally posted by rockz rockz wrote:

I was talking with Harvey earlier on today and apart from possibly having a quick look around the boat show he won't have anything on show .

i guess the captain will have to do a nationwide tour...Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2014 at 10:45pm
Titanium
Titanium

With maxnmel perhaps? Hopefully I will be up at the show on the Friday, but that is all.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2014 at 4:38pm
Titanium
Titanium

Got a shot of all the seating positions with appropriate seats in place today, just to...well, basically make me feel good lol :-)

Also got Harv to sit in the cockpit seats to show the room in there... not as much as I wanted, but we used an extra half metre in the bow fishing areas, and that resulted in a smaller cockpit than I think it ideal. However....

it is primarily going to be for trolling and bait fishing...both of which are done seated, and you are nicely handy to rods and reels, and if casting poppers, only one person would ever have fished in this area anyhow, and for that there is plenty of space.

Page  123 5>