Cape Karikari 24/04

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TW2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cape Karikari 24/04
    Posted: 24 Apr 2014 at 8:59pm
TW2 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Went out for a tow today. Out from the cape in between 100 and 140 meters to the the north. Heaps of skippies, saw a few sunfish but no beakies. Heard of a few been caught close to where we were though!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2014 at 9:00pm
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

pity I did not know your about mate we had a ball on stripes last 2 days
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TW2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2014 at 3:50pm
TW2 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Buggar! We did hear of a few being caught. No luck for us thou :-(
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TW2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2014 at 3:51pm
TW2 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

BA: where were you getting all yours?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2014 at 4:11pm
Titanium
Titanium

80 to 120 off the shallow patch mate plenty of baits there and lures were lumo sprocket and broadbill angry squid
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TW2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2014 at 5:01pm
TW2 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

We were towing a lumo sprocket too! What's your boats name? I'll keep an ear out for you next season.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2014 at 5:13pm
Titanium
Titanium

Gangsta a 40ft Riviera fast boat
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gkd@igrin.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2014 at 6:35pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

there a few up there at mo? how many you get B.A?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote muppetshow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2014 at 10:04pm
muppetshow View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

How many you catch out of the 8 fish? Hear it good up there.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2014 at 10:13pm
Speedy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

We spend easter at Matai and the skippies were everywhere - right into the bay itself. But the water was green and like pea soup - even went out past 150m and water was still like soup. Gave up thinking it was a waste of time - I'm back in papamoa now and wishing we had stuck at it!

How far out was the good water from Matai? I wasn't game to take our 15ft any further out!

Whats the word on dragging lures in green water for marlin? 
Proud supporter of Ronald McDonald House & the team at Legasea

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hcccck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2014 at 7:38am
Hcccck View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

fish don't eat green water hcccck
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tone E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2014 at 8:04am
Tone E View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Speedy Speedy wrote:

We spend easter at Matai and the skippies were everywhere - right into the bay itself. But the water was green and like pea soup - even went out past 150m and water was still like soup. Gave up thinking it was a waste of time - I'm back in papamoa now and wishing we had stuck at it!

How far out was the good water from Matai? I wasn't game to take our 15ft any further out!

Whats the word on dragging lures in green water for marlin? 
Was a lot of the green stuff after that blow just before easter. Somewhere else on another thread I saw someone make the comment that it wasn't blue till out on the garden patch which is twice as far out as you went. Could have been bluer in closer further north of Karikari. Of course that was a week ago, might have all changed...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Twocan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2014 at 6:37pm
Twocan View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Was out with BA we got 3 and one jumped on and broke the leader.  Was an ok patch of water colour wise out of hourhora, garden patch was still average colour wise early in the week.  Heaps of blue sharks and makos to.

Livebaiting was the way to go, baits werent lasting 5 mins most of the time.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2014 at 8:46pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Twocan Twocan wrote:

Was out with BA we got 3 and one jumped on and broke the leader.  Was an ok patch of water colour wise out of hourhora, garden patch was still average colour wise early in the week.  Heaps of blue sharks and makos to.

cheers for that Sam hope you learnt a few things, yes one bait about 8 seconds lol and what about that shark which bit its own tail and hung on??? got it all on video as well especially holding onto the free swimming shark, what a classic.

Enjoy your trip away mate and hopefully see you home for nationals and the 1 base again.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mangre 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2014 at 9:34pm
mangre 2 View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

no marlin in green ****, there in the blue, justv you cant see it under the green ****, lol
Beautiful is better than ugly, Explicit is better than implicit, Simple is better than complex, Complex is better than complicated.      http://oceanmobilemap.blogspot.co.nz/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2014 at 2:51pm
Titanium
Titanium

and I thought I was the only one who went against the grain saying they dont eat the warm or green water only whats in it, yes if some forgot about the hype of hot blue water and simply understood and looked into what they are seeing maybe a few more would be caught, cover your bases and think outside the square, a bit like tuna tubes can be used for anything and live baits can be anything, think outside the square, just because it is not in an article or on a DVD dont mean it wont work, but dont take my word for it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2014 at 3:00pm
jakepitsville View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Right ON Steve! Constantly putting in the FLIPPING awesome results!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Twocan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2014 at 6:31pm
Twocan View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Blue Asparagus Blue Asparagus wrote:

Originally posted by Twocan Twocan wrote:

cheers for that Sam hope you learnt a few things, yes one bait about 8 seconds lol and what about that shark which bit its own tail and hung on??? got it all on video as well especially holding onto the free swimming shark, what a classic.

Enjoy your trip away mate and hopefully see you home for nationals and the 1 base again.

Yeah some people try and touch sharks as they swim past and you try and pick them up by the nose and fin!!!

That blue shark thats jaws locked on its tail was very strange!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mangre 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2014 at 10:24am
mangre 2 View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Agree with you there BA,  certainly is a lot of variables involved in game fishing.  One thing I did notice this season which was a bit different was how the bite would shut down, now this could only mean the fish were moving through, so one area could be good for a few days then shut down. so keeping that in mind, current is very important,  in finding where the fish and bait have moved to.

But that is only one of many variables.  I always look for areas that are the most consistant in current.  then work back through other data, water colour then last SST.

once out on the water then it takes a whole different set of vairiables, and that is what make a rounded fisherman I feel.  like a team, some players suit different roles. 
And new ideas, are always good ideas in my book, just because they, say that that works doesn't mean what you decide to do won't.
Beautiful is better than ugly, Explicit is better than implicit, Simple is better than complex, Complex is better than complicated.      http://oceanmobilemap.blogspot.co.nz/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mangre 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2014 at 10:42am
mangre 2 View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Also one of the biggest bug bears for me was time between bites,  but once we understand why that is, then there has to be an answer somewhere to best use that time and turn that into success. certainly birds don't waste energy at these times, but doesn't mean you don't stop trying something else, we ain't birds.  present something different maybe, way out left field. 

Those guys that work hard in a good area get results but they change tactics over a bite time. I remember watching striker, change from trolling to live baiting over a 15minute period then change back to trolling again. 

That will work because you present to different sets of variables.  some guys will live bait all day, and be succesful because they don't leave fish, but you can do both and maybe get an edge over the next boat.     sometimes a bit of noise is needed, sometimes not.  sight is important take a sack of shells why not, throw them out  do a loop around that area if there is sign.  it is endless  really.

Page  12>