A "Good" Friday WR! SBT

Post Options Post Options   Likes (6) Likes(6)   Quote Andy St.Moritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A "Good" Friday WR! SBT
    Posted: 20 Apr 2014 at 10:30pm
Andy St.Moritz View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I currently over in tassie during my winters studying Naval architecture/ ocean engineering at the Australian maritime college. And while going crazy reading the reports on here after only fishing till mid feb in NZ I have to fight the marlin bug with something so I take my little 4m poly craft out off tassie to try and catch some SBT and on friday me and my little brother went out and got a nice fish here is a report I did for a tassie fishing forum

Well it began the night before with the usual fishing preparation of packing and re-fuelling the boat, after just 4 hours of sleep it was a 3am start, we were on the road by 10 past, we arrived at fortescue bay at half past 4, and we began to load the boat, and got ready to launch. We were then on the water by 5 and we began by steaming out but we stopped short in our track by a large sea and a lot of slamming, so lures went in, it was decided to head straight for the hippolyte’s. About 45min in the lumpy sea, the excitement began when we had a visual of the bird life on the north side of the rock, no other boats to be seen, with all the bird life we decided to make a few laps around the big hippo.

The start of our third lap around the big hippo we decide to see what was happening at little hippo, still no other boats to be seen, we just went over the sub-merged rock and BANG, the 30W screaming, we were on!, about 6.20 am. I had thought the x-rap just got snagged on the rock at first but only a few moments later and my mind had changed the rod was up to strike and the weight loaded up but did not slow down… Wa hooo! Gus took the rod with only a gimbal but no harness .From this point on I attempted to try and murder the gear box and throttle all the bilge pumps were trying to keep up as waves broke into the boat as I backedup into the sea as Gus kept the weight on. As we got closer the seals started to follow the boat, so we free spooled the reel. After it taking about 200m of line in a couple of second we put the drag back up and I chased the line down (planning) as angus reeled like nuts to retrieve the slack belly. After about 20min the fish stale mated us and I started pulling as many different angles as I could to get the fish back up to the surface after 5min of this he shot straight back up and we again chased him down on the plan. The seal begin to swim around again and we both agreed if we didn’t get it soon the seals would be having a yummy breakfast, so we sunset’ed the reel and gus got stuck in as I slowly did circles the double came up I graved the leader didn’t have time to put my gloves on and took some raps and god he pulled back with the boat surging I was going to let go but gus yelled at me to hold on as the line had become tangled around the tip. So I pulled on it and hoped like hell the hooks and split rings held together, the fish arced around and then we saw how big the fish was, F^&*(*&^%%K!!! . Angus stuck the gaff in to it(a $12.00 k-mart gaff), and we quickly hauled the fish onboard at 6.55 am ish. Knocked it on the head and celebration texts phone calls began waking most people up from a Good Friday sleep in, as we realised what we had just done! 

Video of last couple of seconds on the leader
http://s752.photobucket.com/albums/xx169/stmoritz/lastseconds.mp4.html

The lures were set once again, but with the seas building and the boat considerably lower in the water thanks to the extra passenger, we decided to head back, the reality still unbelievable, thankfully we found someone that would weigh it(thanks leo for teeing it up and Mark at TCoT for weighing it!), after taking a few hundred photos we arrived at the boat ramp at fortescue bay at 9:30am. 

We left fortescue bay for Lauderdale to weigh the fish, once we arrived at Lauderdale the fish was hauled up off the tree tipping the scales at 105.15kg!!! We were shocked, that’s bigger than Gus’ biggest marlin of 104.6kg also caught on 15. Upon further information we found it had trumped the state and Australian record by 20+kgs! And a possible World record. We found out we were 2kg off the mens world record on 15kg and were ineligible for Australian and state records, due to being only members of a GFTSFC a non GFAA affiliated club. But none of that mattered we had just landed a mammoth, and were on top of the world, once we got home we did some further research on records and discovered the junior all tackle world record was 98.64kg, this was the cherry on the cake not only had we caught a 100kg tuna on 15, but a Pending World Record. Today was indeed a ‘GOOD’ Friday. After a big clean up, and a lot of filleting the reality hit us once again. We had just caught a 100kg world record tuna. 

note: that is the flag of our fishing club in NZ the Bay of islands Swordfish Club

Upon the breaking town of the tuna we cut open the stomach, and found it full with nothing but leather jacket! We refuelled the tank today and discovered that only $16.52 worth of petrol was used that day!! I bet that’s another record for catching a jumbo?

This trip, was the morning of all mornings, the day of all days, we have been lucky enough to do quite a bit of game fishing in NZ and abroad and we love it to bits (as you might have guessed) but this fish was definitely the hardest one to work for; early starts, soaking wet, cold days, rough conditions but it is now all worth it. Tasmania is one of the most unique places in the world for game fishing, the fishing it tough, the fishing is crazy, the scenery is astounding, and the people are amazing, and its only been a 100% privilege to be a part of it. 

There is only one kind of day I like to go fishing on.........

........any day ending with a y
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote segador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2014 at 10:37pm
segador View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Clap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Andy St.Moritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2014 at 10:41pm
Silver
Silver

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishing Addiction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2014 at 10:54pm
Fishing Addiction View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Wow great read. congrats. And potential world holder too
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jiggy Jig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2014 at 11:25pm
Jiggy Jig View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well done - awesome effort and result! Clap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pirate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2014 at 11:38pm
pirate View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

choice fellas what a wicked capture well doneClap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote footey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2014 at 11:46pm
footey View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

a fish of a lifetime caught in a small boat in rough conditions. That is a great effort guys.Clap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote swordfishsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2014 at 7:38am
swordfishsteve View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Wow Andy that is a great effort, with fantastic planning and even better execution, well done , nice Tuna for sure, hope you get your record claim verified, hard to beat, Clapcongrats Swordfishsteve
REEL REPAIR GUY - Swordfishsteve, That Is Who I Am and That is What I Do : See More At :www.reelrepairguy.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2014 at 7:45am
smelli View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Congrats and good on you. One item ticked off your bucket list. That is a very impressive effort and a great fish. Good luck for the world record. ClapBeer
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Listings.aspx?member=717361
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2014 at 7:47am
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

WOW, awesome effort Andy on the pending WR and wicked writeup. Thanked
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Brady Rowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2014 at 7:59am
Brady Rowe View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Wow you guys must be buzzing nice to see you smoked him on 30pound  how long was the fight. 
I want one of those this winter !!! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Real,real gone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2014 at 8:35am
Real,real gone View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Great fish Andy & Guss, the fishermen of the BOI salute you.
A million dollar day.................. well a few hours anyway!
Well done.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2014 at 9:10am
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great read, outstanding result. Nice looking fish. hope you get your WR.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2014 at 9:17am
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Fantastic effort guys congrats and hope it becomes a WR!ClapClap
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2014 at 9:34am
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Awesome,go the small boats
2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2014 at 9:58am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thumbs UpAwesome stuff guys - well done!Thumbs Up
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Andy St.Moritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2014 at 12:29pm
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Brady Rowe Brady Rowe wrote:

Wow you guys must be buzzing nice to see you smoked him on 30pound  how long was the fight. 
I want one of those this winter !!! 

Cheers guys, yer took us about 35min you really can afford to have long drawn out fights over here other wise seals will start attacking your tuna which will disqualify the fish, and we really just got very lucky with an early shot 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Titahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2014 at 12:46pm
Titahi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I think you put your selves in the position to get lucky, which takes some sense of the risks and mitigating them. Congtarulations, a throughly deserved effort. 

And as Brad said on 30....... AWESOME!
"I love standing by the ocean and just knowing what its for"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bluewater5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2014 at 12:54pm
Bluewater5 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Magnificent guys, a credit to you. I would be extremely happy with a model like that on 80lb. Fire an email off to Tim or Kim at the Bluewater magazine. I'm sure they would be keen to do a story on it.
I own 501 lures, but i can only run 5 at a time. What to do??? Man I have some sleepless nights!!!!