kayak what to buy

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote loviz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: kayak what to buy
    Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 8:49pm
loviz View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Anyone with tips on what to look for in kayaks for spearing out of, I am looking  to buy one? Day missions. I been using a mates though found it a bit short and had some tough times with current and wind. Was thinking of using one for a cavallis winter  day mission(s)  probably on the more intrepid end of how I would use it but hate to be undergunned? Tips?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote jaybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 9:13pm
jaybee View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I had a Prowler Elite (4.5m) for kayak fishing but never speared out of it as I didn't want to scratch it up dragging it up on to rocks etc. I sold it and bought an old Q Kayak Escapee which is perfect for what I am after. It holds all my gear and I don't mind treating it a bit rough. I don't go much further than about 1 1/2 K's though. Obviously the longer your Yak the more speed you will get out of it so if you are going a long way in your missions look at something over 4m. Anything over about 4 m you need a rudder to combat the wind and current I would suggest. I am 6,1" and 90kgs. The shorter yaks are easier to attach your float line to and tow around too if you want.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Davo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 9:30pm
Davo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I used to do a lot of spearfishin from a 5m prowler b4 upgrading to a boat. Was great for long trips in big tides and 4 carrying heavy loads. Easy to get on and off. Heaps of room for gear. Rudder is essential. Actually miss it quite a bit. The yak was a hassle gettin on and off the car roof. I suspect some of the newer smaller fishing yaks wd b easier and just as gd for long trips. Maybe hit up Hunt and Gather on here for his thoughts
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote TheSnapperWhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 11:25pm
TheSnapperWhisperer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Scupper pro dive by ocean kayaks. I've done many miles in mine and love it, and they do still seem to be the standard in Hawaii where they use yaks for comps. They made prowlers later, and wider, for fat fishermen, so scuppers are thinner and faster, plus good practical storage. Get a rudder, makes it much more enjoyable. Also, a sail is choice fun but really unnecessary.
http://www.facebook.com/TheSnapperWhisperer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TheSnapperWhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 11:30pm
TheSnapperWhisperer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Btw, keen to find a decent yak for my 8 yo daughter that is fast enough for some missions, not just a useless tank for playing in. She will he diving from it but stability is not that essential, she will learn that easily enough but a useless kid's tug will discourage her from going on long haul trips with me. Suggestions?
http://www.facebook.com/TheSnapperWhisperer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote ThomasW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2014 at 12:32am
ThomasW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

For spearing you would want something quick and easy to paddle. Most fishing yaks are wide and stable because anglers have to sit there all day in the chop. But while spearing, we cruise up to the spot then jump overboard so stability is of secondary importance. 

Its also important to remember spearing is tiring, yak anglers get to rest up while fishing. We do not. So fast and streamline rather then wide and stable. Its all about ease of paddling. 

I agree with the others with regards to the Scupper pro dive, Prowler Elite 4.5, maybe the Viking Reload,  or even the Mission Catch 420, it might be shorter then the others but its hull is designed for paddling speed so can easily keep up with a Prowler Elite 4.5 despite being shorter. 

You could also go for one of the fiberglass fishing skis, such as from Stealth, Kaskazi, Pinnacle.. Most are made for speed. But they are more expensive and probably should not drag them up onto rocks.

Also do not discount sit inside kayaks,  on average they are faster then sit on tops and offer better control.  A bit harder getting into and out of but many people manage. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote e.m.p! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2014 at 1:27pm
e.m.p! View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I'm using a profish 400 an it's the perfect allrounder. Ask Snoop, I'm sure he'll chime in in this thread. I've picked it because it's IMO the easiest to get back into and has plenty of storage space. Btw: towing a yak is easier than your float so you can leave it at home. Additionally you can get a (pricey though) insulated bin that fits in the back and can double as a plat for the days you can't be bothered to get your yak out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote makattack89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2014 at 11:53am
makattack89 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I dive and fish off my viking angler elite - you will need to upgrade the seat to a more comfortable one. its wide enough and is very sturdy to get in and out of - its perfect in my opinion, only semi issue i have with it in comparrison to other yaks is it's a bit slow moving through the water. but apart from that all good. if your looking at buying brand new it will be around $1000-1500 depending what add ons you get. there are plenty of rod holders and plenty of room to take dive gear - spearguns - etc etc. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kinabal Lector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2014 at 3:53pm
Kinabal Lector View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

try cobra fish and dive. Cheapish with big well in back for gear and super stable. Alway better to anchor and dive off yak and just tow around like plat between spots. Youd be a mug to drag up on rocks and wreck wetsuit and potentially loose yak.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gollyfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2014 at 4:28pm
gollyfish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

if your gonna be diving off it? go with the cobra fish n dive. unbeatable stability. good to fish off too.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CRAYMOUNTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2014 at 8:08pm
CRAYMOUNTS View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Just stole me mates scupper pro today,looks good
CLASS CRAYMOUNTS DONE
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RSJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2014 at 9:54pm
RSJ View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

cool craymounts hope you enjoy it.

I know someone in welly selling a scupperpro tw with sounder, anchor and a few other bits for 8 hundy if anyone interested.

I dive off the reload now and find it no different gearing up on and diving off than any other I have used or owned like 4.7 ultra ,4.5 elite ,scupper ,few cobras etc  you will soon get used to the layout of any yak you get.  the sit in eco bezhig 540 i once owned  I used the paddle with paddle float for stability at rest and to aid getting back on as well.  its all on  the net how its done for sit ins. while anchored up and I just sat on the outside of it to gear up I clocked some ks up on that beast and it would cruise nicely loaded with me  at 100 keg then you have dive belt pauas mussels... . 

so just take into consideration your weight and what the yak can handle b4 you get one.I had a catch 390 moons ago and dam thing was a pig to paddle with my dive  gear and my own weight and it was sitting down in the water more than its probably designed for.

any yak will perform a little  diff while paddling though depends how fit you are  and your  weight, and gear weight and weight distribution on it  and length of yak and shape bla bla,plus you might paddle  quick as to your spot ks away with the so called fastest yak around but can you get it home when your rooted from diving all day with all that weight.

couple pics with speargun and stuff. 

http://www.kayakfishingnz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=14661&start=80

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jack0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2014 at 10:12am
Jack0 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I used to spear fish off a prowler, was stable, heaps of room, but pretty slow and a hard slog into the wind. Had a rudder which was good. I sold the kayak when I bought first boat, but starting to miss the simplicity of it. Reckon if I did buy another I'd want speed over all other attributes.