WOOT WOOOT

Page  123 4>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WOOT WOOOT
    Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 1:26pm
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

SmileBig smile

Just wanted to express my excitement. After a long drawn out working on my wife, iv managed to convince her that going to Aitutaki for a holiday in Spring is a great idea. Plan is to have a 2 week holiday in early October.

Fligh into Raro for a few days, then out to Aitutaki for a week or so, then back and maybe a couple of days in Auc on the way home? She is happy to go to Aitutaki, but doesn’t want to go there for long, as is a bit worried that there won’t me much to do for her, but hey at least I get a few days’ worth!!

Plan is to head up around 10th Oct just after school holidays so we don’t have to deal with screaming kids everywhere and I’m guessing flights will be cheaper out of school holidays??

Can’t wait to hear how Craig and the boys go since they will be there only a couple of weeks before us.  Craig I did try to convince her that we take you up on those 2 spare spots on your trip, but she has been along on a proper boys fishing trip, and now knows the deal.  You only get to play that card once hey? LOLLOL

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 2:28pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Good onya Fraser. Your wife may well like Aitutaki. It's quite civilized with plenty going on. Buzzing around the island on a scooter, taking in the sights, and then kicking back on a palm fringed beach somewhere is a pretty awful sort of holiday.

Our September trip is full anyway. Wives are suddenly coming too!!

I think there is still a Sportfish Adventures trip going in October, lead by John Eichelsheim. There is no worries in taking your missus on one of these trips. These are not boys-own group fishing events. Everyone stays fairly independent, just fishing together on the allotted fishing days and maybe having a meal together in the evenings. These trips are nothing like Australian fishing group events... but I'd better not go there.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2014 at 9:47am
Platinum
Platinum

Might have to give you a call Craig and have a chat. Might see if I can’t line up at least one day been guided by Itu, or another guide. Wouldn’t mind seeing if I can organize something along the lines as your organized tour, in that been dropped on another island for a day to explore and fish.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2014 at 8:29pm
Platinum
Platinum

Just going through my tackle collection, and deciding what tackle to take on this trip.

Unfortunetly my favourite 9# rod is a two piece. I love it to death despite its age. What's everyone's thoughts on carrying a two piece rod on three flights to get there and three to get back to Queenstown??

Maybe an excuse for a new 9#-#10 rod? I will be taking another 8# four piece rod with me as a backup, so its not like I won't be without a spare rod.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote corokid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2014 at 8:56pm
corokid View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

You definitely want to take a spare rod Fraser
I broke a rod recently shortly after saying to my fishing buddy how careful i am with my rods and cant see myself breaking anyOuch
Although all my fly rods are 4 piece now for this very reason I may be sneaking a couple other 2 piece rods in a travel tube , not sure of airline policy/rates for this.
I am going to take four 4 piece fly rods , i have a rockhopper tube that will fit all of these in one lot. Probably still pack in suitcase if room, so secure and no chance of breakage.

Try not to spook to many for usBig smile

MNZ Recognised Marine Surveyor
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2014 at 9:10pm
Platinum
Platinum

Yea might have to check with the airlines?

Don't worry I Always carry a spare rod. Amazes me the number of people I bump into a solid days tramping into the back county only carrying one rod?

On day outings I have a telescopic drawing tube that takes 4x4piece rods nicely in there sock. A man has to have options, don't he?

I hadn't broken a rod in years then the start of this season, I broke two rods in consecutive outings!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2014 at 5:29am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Yeah Fraser, I think a separate two piece would be regarded as extra luggage and you'd be charged for it. I get six 4pc rods in their tubes and all my kit plus clothes into one suitcase and one carry-on. I think you will just have to buy a new nine weight ... and a back-up.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2014 at 9:11am
Platinum
Platinum

Bugger! ( I really mean Brilliant Tongue, but that’s the line ill use to tell the wife).

Will have to have a look / try of the Redington range when im up in Auc in a few weeks. Iv always loved my Redington rods and from what you boys are saying the new range is even better than the old ones??

Who has the best stock of their range in Auc, or even down Taupo way? No one down this way stocks themCry

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2014 at 11:51am
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

When flying to Aituatki take these points into consideration.

For $10 you can select a prefered seat, have a look at the plane layout and get yourself some extra leg room and priority check in.

With air NZ you can take one bag up to 23kg and 7 kg hand luggage. With air rarotonga you can take 1 bag up to 20 kg and 3 kgs handluggage.
Air raro will let you take 23 kg bag if you are on air NZ to aitutaki but they will only let you bring back 20kgs.

If you take an extra bag with Air NZ they will charge you $120 at the airport or $55 if you prebook online.

If you take an extra bag to aituatki they will charge $3 per kg.

I have done this trip twice and first time they where as tight as a fishes anus. The second trip I had an extra bag and never got charged anything. On this last trip i had 26kgs returning from aituatki to raro and they looked the other way.

Having said that my wife met up with me later on this trip and air nz would not let her book an extra bag as the plane was full, on the day she took the extra bag on the plane and got away with it as did the rest of the people that couldnt book in extra bags.

All in all there is no real rules just look light at whatever you do. i did manage to get a 20 kg drill press on an international flight as hand luggage :) this way

Rod tubes that are bigger than your bag will be charged as an extra bag and if not prebooked will be $120 and if the plane is full you may not be able to take it.
4 piece traveliing rods pack into your back and you can get the whole lot in one bag if you skimp on things like undies etc so if you intend to travel internationally gear up for it.
I travel with electronic scales just to stay ahead of the pack.nothing worse than being given the choice to leave your bag behind or pay more for the freight than the worth of the contents inside.
On this trip i was over by one packet of wine gums and left them at home then having said that had a good run the whole way just dont count on it.

If you take your partner make sure you take your rod to dinner as nothing worse than seeing those trevs smash the bait fish and not be able to have a shot. If your wife is suspecting you may drop your rod of at the restaurant before hand so she cant stop you from taking it in the first place.

All in all I would go through hell to go to Aitutaki cause once you are there it is paradise.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote corokid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2014 at 12:30pm
corokid View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks for taking the time to put that info up WillP,  Aa few tricks of the trade in that lot.

Fraser , Rod and Reel in Auckland stock Redington brand.
I am popping in there on Friday if they are open , so if there is anything you want me to check out on your behalf.
MNZ Recognised Marine Surveyor
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2014 at 12:53pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

That's great info there Will. Thanks for posting it up. Must have been tough having to leave the wine gums behind Smile

I might consider the $10 extra for a seat choice next time. This skinny palangi always gets stuck with one of those midget seats on the single seat side.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2014 at 5:41pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Fraser, yip i sussed the water taxi too
pretty sure Steve[Ranginuis owner] son runs it
i did a trip like that, frigging awseome,
its pretty cool watching the boat leave  and finding yourself in the middle of nowhere,the prettiest middle of nowhere, and all you have to do is stalk, and stalk.Cool 

By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote desmofrankie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2014 at 9:09pm
desmofrankie View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Fraser Hocks Fraser Hocks wrote:

Bugger! ( I really mean Brilliant Tongue, but that’s the line ill use to tell the wife).

Will have to have a look / try of the Redington range when im up in Auc in a few weeks. Iv always loved my Redington rods and from what you boys are saying the new range is even better than the old ones??

Who has the best stock of their range in Auc, or even down Taupo way? No one down this way stocks themCry

If you drive up the South Island stop in Methven: Steve at Flyshopnz has a whole bunch of TFO he's clearing at half price!
You'd get a bloody good rod for barely 250 bucks...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bass-ist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2014 at 10:28pm
bass-ist View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Go for the Redington Predator. Best value saltwater rod by a longshot.
It casts and fishes like a rod that cost twice as much. My Sages have become backups..........
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mike.Thomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2014 at 6:33am
Mike.Thomas View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Give Rod and Reel a ring, before hand and they can be sure to have a couple of Reddingtons in the right weight range for you to try, they do not always have the full weight range but it only takes a day or two to get them in if you ask.
All the best.
Mike
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2014 at 5:21pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Go the predator alright,
every time I pick mine up im a happy man.quality construction at a great price
By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2014 at 11:40am
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

[QU
OTE=Craig Worthington] That's great info there Will. Thanks for posting it up. Must have been tough having to leave the wine gums behind Smile

I might consider the $10 extra for a seat choice next time. This skinny palangi always gets stuck with one of those midget seats on the single seat side.
[/QUOTE]

Hi craig the preffered seats are for air nz only, with air rarotonga you pay full price and its pot luck where you sit. Having a seat that is all there is a bonus. The back seats are cool, just like the old school bus.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2014 at 3:19pm
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks so much guys. God this forum has some great crew on it!!!

Thanks for that WillP. Must say over the years iv swapped all my trout rods over to 4 piece (and a few5,6 & 7 piece), but most of my saltwater rods have always been two piece, since I used to living in WA and most places I'd fish, we would drive there. Like Exmouth and Broome.

I travel a fair bit around the country so worked out pretty quickely how to get my ass in the first row of the ATR's. I'm 6'4" tall so any other seat is effectively a form of torture. Bigger planes and I always insist on the exit row.

Will have to talk to Steve, that'some good prices on those TFO's!!

Have to say iv got four Redington rods and love them all. Not quite up competing with high end Scotts etc.. (Bit heavier blanks) But at a fraction of the cost of a high end Scott. Having said that I haven't played with the latest offerings from Redington. I'll be taking my CPS 8# with me, for sure.

Sounds like its going to be between the TFO Axiom and a Predetor in a 9#. Hummm

Be interesting to see how I go when I come up to Auc in a few weeks? I'm bringing my 13'6" 4 piece spey rod and my 2 piece bamboo rod.   Both are in tubes about 4' long.   Might go have a talk to the lovely girls on the desk at AirNZ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2014 at 3:30pm
Platinum
Platinum

Funny you should say that Bass-ist? Iv got a mate that I let borrow one of my Redington CT's. He ended up buying himself one while recently on a trip in the USA. His $1000+ sage has become the backup rod and the Redington his number 1 rod
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2014 at 3:45pm
Platinum
Platinum

Oh yea Dave , if your dropping in check out if they have a Predator in 9' 9# for me mate!
Page  123 4>