Latest Suzuki ad comparing 70 four strokes

Page  123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Latest Suzuki ad comparing 70 four strokes
    Posted: 16 Apr 2014 at 8:56pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Been reading latest Fishing News and it has an ad by Suzuki saying "Data Talks" in which it compares and absolutely wastes another motor in same class on the stats. 
According to ad Suzuki is 14km better on max sppeed, almost 4 litres per hour hour more fuel efficient at 20km cruise speed, 3 seconds faster on accelration to 40km per hour and is 2 litres better per hour at 3500 rpm per hour.
Amazing stats against other motor, it isn't named (just called opponent) but looks like a F70 yamaha in profile and colour in picture.  Either amazing or rubbish, I'm not sure?
Provided Suzuki has same longevity and reliability of yamaha, Suzuki is clearly better motor on those stats. 
I have an old F50 yamaha on my 16 ft stabi -one of first 50hp four strokes (purchased just after Suzuki pulled out of NZ with a lot of their 2stroke EFI 115s having electronic problems).  Are Suzuki that much better now?  Have mates who are pleased with new Suzukis  and some of those Suzukis been on for few years  now with no problems -mainly ex -Optimax buyers.  Most yamhi owners are still goin after 10 years, and mine probably has 4000 hours on it with virtually no issues.  But are Suzukis really better than yamhis ,or honda for that matter which also seem to pass test of time?  Was thinking when my motor eventually wears out, I might upgrade to a cheap F70 with a few 1000 hours on it, now having second thoughts about going to Suzuki if that much better in performance, but there a nagging issue around reliability and longevity -which based on past experience (yamhi F50) I have developed quite high standards on?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rahui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2014 at 10:35pm
rahui View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I could be wrong but isn't it 100 lbs heavier than the yam 70 f stroke, no more needs to be said
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2014 at 10:47pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Is it???? -that would be amazing.
I think an F70 is 113kg from meomory -only about 5kg heavier than my F50.  So negligible weight difference, hence the attraction.   An additional 45kg (roughly 100lbs) would make the Suzuki a big pig of an engine compared to an F70.
New F70 when first released boasted a great power to weight ratio -but an extra 100lb for the Suzuki seems very extreme. 
Will investigate.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote peeda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2014 at 11:12pm
peeda View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yep the zuk 70 is quite a lot heavier than the F70 from the research I have done.

The suzuki 70 is a detuned 90Hp - same size block
The yami F70 is a F50 block tuned up..

Thats where the difference is. Look at the CC rating of both motors. More torque from the suzuki but you'd be pulling more weight with it. Unless you changed props to maximise the use of extra torque?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rahui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 7:55am
rahui View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

the advantage with the yam is that it is the perfect weight for a small boat,the power to weight ratio of the f70  is new technology, probably one of the greatest achievements in motoring technology

there aren't too many 4.5 to 5.0mtr boats that will enjoy 160kgs strapped to there backs, but they will handle the 119kg yam 70f.  I think suk don't even put out there weight for the new 70, they must know that it cant compete with yam. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 8:35am
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by rahui rahui wrote:

the advantage with the yam is that it is the perfect weight for a small boat,the power to weight ratio of the f70  is new technology, probably one of the greatest achievements in motoring technology

there aren't too many 4.5 to 5.0mtr boats that will enjoy 160kgs strapped to there backs, but they will handle the 119kg yam 70f.  I think suk don't even put out there weight for the new 70, they must know that it cant compete with yam. 

theres no new and amazing tech in the f70 - theyve simply put a new head on and raised the rev limit on their 1litre engine. =70hp - im sure suzuki could do the same thing with their 40/50/60hp engine if they chose to.

as stated earlier, the suzi 70 is a much larger engine and is based on the 1.5litre block, which it shares with the 80 and 90hp engines. specs for it are on their website for all to see...
No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote harryh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 8:56am
harryh View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Both good engines, but you can't beat cc's for torque, and the gear ratio and prop diameter make a big difference to. If you look at the website the Suzy 60 was tested on that boat as well and compares pretty well to the F70 as it is similar cc. The difference in weight in that test made 15mm difference at the rear off the boat at rest. 5 year warranty on a Suzy to, compared to 4 on the Yam.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 9:01am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What the marketing / propaganda guys dont tell u is the exact test they did?
Did they FULLY prop up the suzi to THAT boat?  bet your bottom dollar they did
Did they do that to the other engine or simply use the manufactures best ball park guess for that engine to suit most boats? pretty well garantee that...
Or maybe they did re prop the other brand.. most properly with identical prop....BUT do both the engines have the same gearbox ratio?

These sorts of adverts are highly suspect... but they present well with "independent..." mentioned a lot.. who pays the "independent..." bill? 
And they still work to bring to make sales.

look at this
"4 litres per hour hour more fuel efficient at 20km cruise speed"
20km/hr cruise speed????  really?
"2 litres better per hour at 3500 rpm per hour."   cruise is generally a bit higher than that???

Im not knocking the suzi...... just the marketing /propaganda BS

PS been thru the "latest fishing news" (April '14)  found hido, honda merc and yamy ads no suzi ???
What page ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote harryh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 9:14am
harryh View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I drove both boats at their conference, the Yamaha boat was set up by a Yamaha dealer and pulled 6400 rpm fully trimmed at WOT. The Suzuki pulled in it's operating range, and I actually think that other props may get better results as there was another 300 rpm to play with. The big difference is cc, prop diameter(13 3/4 inch compare to probably 11 1/4) and the Suzy gear ratio is 2.59:1. They did a shootout a few years ago on 300hp, and the Yammy V8 did well on speed and holeshot due to the same reason cc and torque.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 9:47am
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Very east to twist any figures to suit your own purposeWink
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rahui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 10:11am
rahui View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Bounty Hunter Bounty Hunter wrote:

theres no new and amazing tech in the f70 - theyve simply put a new head on and raised the rev limit on their 1litre engine. =70hp - im sure suzuki could do the same thing with their 40/50/60hp engine if they chose to.

as stated earlier, the suzi 70 is a much larger engine and is based on the 1.5litre block, which it shares with the 80 and 90hp engines. specs for it are on their website for all to see...

Mate how can it not be new technology, they have a 40kg advantage over there competitors, they have the jump, the f70 will have the advantage as it will be used in many more light boat combos.  the suk 70 is really competing in the 90 hp range. yam all the way
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 11:50am
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Shane see if you can get the low down from a service agent that sells/services both or even better sells neither but services both. I went with the Suzuki on good recommendation but it is heavier than my old 75 merc 2/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pirate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 8:48pm
pirate View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah funny they don,t mention weight specs in that add.. I see they are not much lighter than a yamy f80 (154kg vs 170kg). I,m looking at an f70 upgrade soon for me 5mtr ali. basically a sack of cement less on the bum than the zuk. power to weight ratio overwhelms those figures in add surely
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rahui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 9:04pm
rahui View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

one prob I see suk having is what size boat do you put it on, might have to go 5.2 to 5.5 mtrs and then they become underpowered at the top end.  I pick up my aqualine  495 on sat and it has the 70f on its bum and I will probably get 40 mph out of it. well I am hoping.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 9:26pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by pirate pirate wrote:

Yeah funny they don,t mention weight specs in that add.. I see they are not much lighter than a yamy f80 (154kg vs 170kg). I,m looking at an f70 upgrade soon for me 5mtr ali. basically a sack of cement less on the bum than the zuk. power to weight ratio overwhelms those figures in add surely

Yes mate Yamaha is 117kg versus Suzi is 155kg for 70hp models, huge difference
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rahui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 9:40pm
rahui View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

suks are great motors but know way will they compete  with the yam f70, nothing will until they drop the weight. that is why I said it was new technology, . I just hope it is a strong motor and not a supped up eggbeater. I read in a thread that the f70 may well be one of the best motors ever built, time will tell
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Get in behind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 9:43pm
Get in behind View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I'm Suzuki all the way. My latest is the DF60. If I was going to get a 70 hp though, you would have to do some slick talking to talk me out of the Yamaha 70. Seems to be a great motor
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rahui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 10:50am
rahui View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

pardon my ignorance but how can one motor be 14ks faster when both motors are the same horse power at the prop. are suk telling fibs ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 12:24pm
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Good question especially when the suzuki is heavier.  All in the propping I suspect.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 12:30pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

pardon my ignorance but how can one motor be 14ks faster when both motors are the same horse power at the prop. are suk telling fibs ?

How much torque do they have ? ,more torque bigger prop
2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition
Page  123>