Phone Problems,

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Phone Problems,
    Posted: 16 Apr 2014 at 7:52pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

finally my phone has died and purchased a new one, second one in 20years, yeah the first was replaced free because it become obsolete, now the second one fell in the ahole while you know what, so it is history,
i didn't want to spend mega bucks, so purchased a Samsung Galaxy Fame small enough but still compatible with everything still happening around the traps right now,
GPS/maps/Wifi was all i thought would be of interest to me,
well $30 disappeared in less than 24hrs so rang Vodafone about some way of sorting this out and they come to the party with rip up the old contract and we will supply a new modem with Wifi connection for Comp and Phone, so that sorted awaiting for package to arrive,
in the meantime i am thinking i like the idea of having my fish spots on my Phone complete with maps,
like Navonics,
what have your guys D/Loaded to use?
what sort of cost?
reception is it a problem out at sea?
anything you can think of to help me sort out what i should have or need,
cheers in advance....       
Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwi phill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2014 at 7:54pm
kiwi phill View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Ask Pete..he has navonics on his phone......Phill
Sverdfisk .......Marlin in Norwegian
My Parents ...Parents Came from Norway...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Chip'n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2014 at 9:40pm
Chip'n View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I got mine here
.http://www.kayakfishingnz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10160&hilit=navionics
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote corosanta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2014 at 9:55pm
corosanta View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Since when was a phone or any other electronic devise needed to to go fishing?

Telecom sorted me out.
Sitndrinkntalknbullman
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Chip'n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2014 at 10:02pm
Chip'n View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Back to phones then, we have been with Vodafone for 10 years, have been talking with them since Jan about renewing my phone, present one is galaxy xcover, has got bugger all memory, forever running out of space, having to delete things to get texts etc. They promised to ring me back early April to sort something out as this was the earliest they could offer me a new phone without early termination fees. They never rang so I rang them again, this time the rep said to leave it till the 11th (being launch date of the s5 ) & she will ring me back & get something sorted. She never did, I had to ring them back again this week & all they seemed to do was to sign me up to a deal that was three times more minutes & price then what I actually needed. I asked them for costs to get out of my contract (end of Sep) so not wanting to pay that iwill now see out my contract & then look to move to 2 degrees as their plans make more sense with roll over minutes & data. Silly thing is we were also looking to change our house phone/internet over to them as well. We'll relook at our options again in Sep now but 2 degrees seem to be in front of the 8 ball at the moment.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote corosanta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2014 at 10:19pm
corosanta View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

That is my point CHIP.

The easier they make it to communicate, the more costly and the more awkward it becomes, and the less we actually communicate.

Sitndrinkntalknbullman
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2014 at 10:22pm
Fletch View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just as long as you can get your bite times lethal......
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2014 at 10:29pm
Fletch View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

So, chips....you've been with vfone for ten years, and you are saying that they won't bargain?

I'm sure if you said what you just have written, ( seems you didn't indicate to them you were going home ph and internet) that they would be over the proverbial barrel to get you what ever you wanted. 10 years is pretty loyal in this game, and I'm sure you can get better from them if you really tried.

I've seen other companies sell their nanas to get custom. I'm sure you can get them to sell another.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ryanjury Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2014 at 10:41pm
ryanjury View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I downloaded a program on my android phone called EarthNC New Zealand I think it was $12 and has all the basic functions of a chart plotter, ability to plot tracks and save spots etc.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Chip'n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2014 at 10:44pm
Chip'n View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yep we joined them when we returned to NZ in 2002, we did have a fling with Telecom for about 2 years part way through. As I said they were happy to sign me up for a deal but we don't need unlimited minutes, I only use on average 100 mins a month now. That would have increased our monthly bill with the two phones by 2 - 3 times what we pay now. When we were in the UK we had been with Orange & had been on rollover minutes then, nobody had heard of a crazy idea like that here,obviously no competition here then so good on 2 degrees for offering it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2014 at 10:49pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

interesting guys thanks so far,
i was with Ihug before Vodafone brought them out hence ive been now with them since 1997,
they definitely do things for me when i ask,
i have everything with them now TV/Sky Sport/Broadband/House Phone/Mobile Phone all in one,
when i asked them how i could use my broadband with Mobile Phone they said i needed a new Modem with WiFi connection,
it was $150 but said to hang on a min and i will talk to my Boss, she come back say they couldn't do it and would have to pay the $150 but then the Boss must have checked our account and decided he could rip up our old contract and rewrite a new one complete with a free Modem,
now that to me is pretty good in my book and will definitely keep me on their side...
they have even text me the number to the parcel for tracking it, so yeah i cant complain about them...

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Betty Boop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2014 at 11:08pm
Betty Boop View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

my neighbour has this free software and is putting it onto my desktop and android smartph this weekend. Cell ph coverage around the gulf etc is ok .........I can advise details next week if required Wink
Last week I joined an Anti-Social support group........They won't talk to me!

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Cbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2014 at 11:16pm
Cbro View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Na stuff the contract bro, I was telstra clear who  sold to vodafone. Before that slingshot, Ihug. slingshot, Ihug,Woosh...who ever had the best deal at the time. 

What plan did you get? I have 80g data, free wifi modem and best mates to 5 mobiles for $82permonth...with no contract with vodafone.  I was going to swap back to slingshot but thought I'd tell them what I would like if I was to remain a costumer with them as slingshot had first month free going.

There is no loyalty in telcos.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote James00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 12:23am
James00 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Its very difficult to get in touch of them...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote worksux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 2:39am
worksux View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have Navionics on my phone lethal, by memory about $17. Excellent app, especially when on a charter boat Wink.
You do need to turn the phones mobile data for connectivity for it to work when marking spots and routes. just remember to turn it back off again or it will cost.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keeweechris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 6:56am
Keeweechris View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Navionics doesn't need a 3G signal to run so doesn't cost anything or use any data after you have bought the app and downloaded the maps. I use an old iphone as a chart plotter on my boat. Downloaded all nz maps through wifi and keep them on phone. I run a prepay SIM card in the phone with no credit on it so it can use the cell towers to help initialise the gps position and it all works well. You can plot tracks, fishing spots etc and navigate to them. Also had a speed display. Makes a good alternative to an actual chart plotter for well under $100.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rotate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 7:27am
Rotate View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

with the newer phones using glosnas for gps you dont use any data or need cell towers to triangulate .much much faster lock times aswell.

i have a bit of a thing for phones.flash custom firmwares.overclock cpu & gpu those sort of things.is pretty amazing what we have in these devices.i do alot of lessons as such with a variety of people helping them set up google account and have all there contacts sync etc.there really is no excuse anymore for loosing sim and loosing contacts.

any ways my recommendation for anyone who doesnt want to spend big money but who wants to have a high end device is to buy the Nexus 5.this phone is subsidized by google.thing is in nz the telcos are selling it full price?$800+ as where online its less then $450.if i was just getting into the game i would buy this and then go on the new 2deg bring your own phone contract deal.
our contracts in nz are shocking.UK and AUS have some of the best contracts in world and its all because of competition and that there goverments have forced them to be competitive.

android is a far superior/comprehensive OS to ios but.... as it can be put on everything from high end to low end and sometimes the lower end phones really lack the performance to make for a enjoyable experience.this is where apple have sussed it with the fact they control the only devices running there OS so can make sure it meets requirements to run it fluidly.but they dont offer varying screen sizes and pricepoints.

for some of you guys with bigger hands phones like samsung note 3 with 5.5'' screen really come into there own.this is what i got my dad and he loves the big screen etc

anyways anyone got any questions hit me up happy to help.have often thought of starting up something where teach people about devices before they go out buy one.the telcos really are **** at this.

also when looking for broadband providers you really dont need to be with the big players.im with kinect 250gb roll over data free southisland calling and one number anywhere in nz .$90 i get a consistent 15mb down as where you will find telecom cap the adsl at 10mb down.i am about to go to fibre.100mb down 30mb up and price is no differnet

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 8:26am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I used to have a small smart phone.. till it dropped into the bulge for a few hrs
Shopped around and did a bit of home work on low cost phones with reasonable hardware
huawei g510
Have navonics , weather  osmand (turns into a car nav man with internal maps so no downloads)
The osmand can load upto date opensoiurce nz maps
http://gwprojects.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1703&hilit=osmand&start=90
And can add fishing spots
NOTE: with navonics these spots are uploaded to a central server and other can download

on my desk top I have opencpn latest linz maps (free open source)
http://mce66.altervista.org/software.html#Free_New_Zealand_Nautical_Charts
I also have free garmin mapsource  with the free NZ topo , road .  I can plot and mark on osmand (above) and/ or a garmin gps.. (handheld or a basic car unit)  using up to date topo and road maps , then thru garmin mapsource/ usb  transfer these to the desktop and import into the opencpn program
Garmin top opensource
http://gwprojects.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810
updated fortnightly garmin road maps
http://gwprojects.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=985&start=270

Walu.. what is the software/app name?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote deepblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 10:05am
deepblue View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

After my Samsung S3 died of Sudden Death and the dealer (fairbuy.co.nz ) decided they didnt want to deal with customers - I purchased the Moto G - a new lower cost Smart phone.  I have always had top end phones - but love this new device.  <$300 and all the featured I need. 

http://pricespy.co.nz/product.php?p=2446015
http://www.priceme.co.nz/search.aspx?q=moto+g

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 12:23pm
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Eric what happened to your GPS you will miss that fish of a life time while checking ya phoneBig smile
Page  12>