Slow trolling jack macs

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sho_gun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slow trolling jack macs
    Posted: 14 Apr 2014 at 9:55pm
Sho_gun View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Is it possible to troll a live Jack Mac at over 1 knot with out having it spin? If so would like to hear how you rig yours.
I can't seem to get over 0.9knts without them spinning unless they are fresh out of the tank. I am bridle rigging through the nose with wax thread and Mustard Circle Hook.

Cheers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2014 at 10:36pm
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

bridle rig through the eyes mate I have towed mine fast as 4knts through the eyes give a higher towing point on the head also add a 4oz sinker at the swivel just to pull it down a bit, dont be afraid to just drift along with a bait out either, had great results on baits last week just drifting allows you to bait bomb schools as well getting the bait down deep,

I also rig my tow points on the hooks a little different I expect to others, with the hook always facing up it works for me but who knows time will tell
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2014 at 7:36am
jakepitsville View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

How do u get the the hook to always face up Steve
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote waynorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2014 at 11:07am
waynorth View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I'm still learning the art of live bait trolling Sho_gun - hopefully a few exerts will join in with their own tips tips but a few things I've learned:

You need to troll livies at a speed they can swim at, and the smaller the bait the slower that is. Even a little jack mack can sprint at speed for a short distance, but when it gets tired, as you note it loses control & starts barrel rolling or surface skipping. Same thing happens if you tow skippies too fast, especially if they have been handled roughly or damaged during rigging, although being bigger & faster fish they handle higher speeds for longer.

Go for the biggest macs you can find, & if you want to cover ground change them out regularly. If you run them deep or well behind the boat you may not realise they have lost it and started spinning.

I've noticed more with skippies rather than macs that if you are running in a straight line but the fish is tracking out to one side it's starting to lose control or your tow point has slipped.

Another option, albeit one I've never tried, is to rig them as dead swimmers. Youtube has a few clips on how to do that, & it appears you can travel more quickly as the rigging provides the stability rather than relying on the fish to keep itself tracking correctly.
treat fish like fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2014 at 11:08am
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I will show you next time we meet up Jake appears to work ok.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RH580ikanui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2014 at 3:27pm
RH580ikanui View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Why even bother trying to tow them. I have had great success drifting. and saves heaps of gas. Find a spot where you know fish will be & relax.. it will happen.
"IKANUI" RH580 SUZUKI DF140
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sho_gun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2014 at 6:14pm
Sho_gun View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yeh all valid comments cheers guys.

I recently bought a dredge and one method I am trialing is running it at 1.5 to 2 knots with a live Jack swimming behind it. I just can't get the Jack to swim nicely at that speed for more than 10 mins. I think a dead bait rigged with keel is going to be the way forward. Perhaps a Pakula keel weight attached to a j hook and bridled to a live jack mac will work!?! Will give it a go...

The technique worked well with a skippy on Sunday out West. Had a bite pretty soon after dropping the dredge. The fish took the bait and ran with it however however didn't swallow and no hook up when drag was cranked up. A decent result for a 1st test run but some refining needed.

Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote riga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2014 at 6:38pm
riga View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

We tow skippies and jacks together all the time.  Skippie is dropped back further and the jack is kept closer to the boat.

We just bridle the jack with braid through its eye socket and then connect to the hook.  Seems to happily swim along at 2 knts for a few hours.  Best we have got is 4 I think.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lance@driveline.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2014 at 7:16pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Ive been using these things out of Italy and they work well

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mangre 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2014 at 7:28pm
mangre 2 View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

there you go, lance, smart thinking.
Beautiful is better than ugly, Explicit is better than implicit, Simple is better than complex, Complex is better than complicated.      http://oceanmobilemap.blogspot.co.nz/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2014 at 9:01am
jakepitsville View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Sho_gun Sho_gun wrote:

Yeh all valid comments cheers guys.

I recently bought a dredge and one method I am trialing is running it at 1.5 to 2 knots with a live Jack swimming behind it. I just can't get the Jack to swim nicely at that speed for more than 10 mins. I think a dead bait rigged with keel is going to be the way forward. Perhaps a Pakula keel weight attached to a j hook and bridled to a live jack mac will work!?! Will give it a go...

The technique worked well with a skippy on Sunday out West. Had a bite pretty soon after dropping the dredge. The fish took the bait and ran with it however however didn't swallow and no hook up when drag was cranked up. A decent result for a 1st test run but some refining needed.

Cheers
\

if you bridle rig your baits right you wont have any problems with them spinning and dying.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JoshW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 9:40pm
JoshW View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Just tow a dead bait behind your dredge it will work better...you will be able to cover a lot more ground  have complete control over the bait and the fish will eat it just same.

Most importantly you will convert way way more fish than towing lures behind a dredge!

Swimming baits are cool but don't get hung up on that...a skipping/splashing/ chuggerhead bait workjust as well. If you really want to master a swimmer it's probably easier to chin weight a mullet and get that to swim than a jack mac btw.

IMO Your better off sticking to drifting with jackmacs under balloons, with sinkers or free swimming and leaving the 2 knot trolling to stronger swimming baits like a skipjack or Koheru. Live jack macs will swim at any speed up 8knots when it first hits the water...but they don't have the stamina to do this that long ( still its long enough to get bit in a pitch bait situation tho). I like to bridle with a sharp needle through the nose so the eyes don't pop out when pulled at speed. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JoshW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 9:42pm
JoshW View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

thinner bridle material like 80lb braid, a smaller lighter hook and lighter leader may help keep them swimming a bit longer.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 9:56pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks Josh. I'd like to try some alternatives to live jacks as sometimes (heaps of times) they're a hard thing to get out of tuts.