SwordfishSteve Solo Sword

Page  <1 234
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 9:28am
Garry 23041 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi Steve I was down south getting some windshield time and missed my chunk of fish.......

I am sad to see that with all the descriptions of bait and lights and rods and reels you have neglected to give your new motor it's due!

I feel sure the new engine has a lot to do with your success.

In a way you were never really ready to land that fish because you lacked the final addition to your arsenal ie the new motor.

Armed with this your confidence ramped up and the new smoother quieter motor transfered a new sense of calm to the fisherman resulting in a zen moment etc etc........

I had an interesting thing with a kingfish the other day where it swam up with the jig all the way to the top and I thought it was a rat at best.
It hit the top with it's mouth open and my mouth fell open in surprise I think. in.  I just leaned down and grabbed it's lip and lifted it out.

Anyway good work on the solo broudbill and I wonder what is next on the List?

Cheers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote swordfishsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 5:06pm
swordfishsteve View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Garry
I am back up this weekend and you are in line for some fresh smoked Swordfish, give me a call or text for collection, John Buckley has it all which I am collecting on Saturday, so catch you around the reel far north next week, not sure if the new Honda has anything to do with my success as it was off when I hooked up the sword, but positive thinking for sure, lovely engine, gives me confidence to run long distances , cheers swordfishsteve
Not sure what is next on my bucket list, perhaps a solo black marlin!
REEL REPAIR GUY - Swordfishsteve, That Is Who I Am and That is What I Do : See More At :www.reelrepairguy.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote swordfishsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2014 at 7:09am
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Ok Garry I have the smoked sword now, call in this arvo if you like for a cold one and some fish? cheers swordfishsteveSmile
REEL REPAIR GUY - Swordfishsteve, That Is Who I Am and That is What I Do : See More At :www.reelrepairguy.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 49er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2014 at 7:33pm
49er View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

congrats.good fish steve,especially solo,was up the cape trying different spots yesterday,mum winched a LARGE thresher out of 600m,didnt know what it was till close to the surface,that took two hours
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote swordfishsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2014 at 8:41am
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Thanks Brain, all good, yes threshers are hard work also, hopefully more Swords down deep than threshers, here is the image of the hook & bait rig we are using, with breakaway brick or Steel bar on 6kg mono 2mtrs long with knot in it, break bottom brick off when touching bottom, then 32oz hapuka sinker taped to top of leader stays put, small tri colour strobe light attaches to snap swivel 3mtrs from hook and large tri colour strobe light clips onto mainline whipped loop 10 mtrs up from bait. Try to keep bait streamlined as possible for straight drop to bottom without spiralling and twisting around mainline, nice steady drop speed, not too fast as you are fishing all way down and when bringing up nice and steady as you sometime get bite when retrieving bait, so be aware .  Good Luck to All. Swordfishsteve
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2014 at 8:53am
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Steve, do you use mainly J hooks if so what size are they or would circle hooks be better
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote swordfishsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2014 at 9:02am
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Hi Craig
Personally I use and prefer Big J Hooks for these swords, I use Mustad 16/0 Open Gape, designed to hurt the fish more than the fish hurt me, however I believe that many successful sword fisher are using Big circles, so up to you, both work.
cheers swordfishsteveSmile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2014 at 9:06am
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks Steve, going to try for a sword this Saturday a 209kg was caught by club members last Sunday on a dropper
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Davo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2014 at 9:24am
Davo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good luck Craig. Would be interested to hear how u go and how far out you had to go to get amongst them
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote enforcer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2014 at 12:20pm
enforcer View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Tzer Tzer wrote:

Thanks Steve, going to try for a sword this Saturday a 209kg was caught by club members last Sunday on a dropper

Must've missed your text😁
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2014 at 4:12pm
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by enforcer enforcer wrote:

Originally posted by Tzer Tzer wrote:

Must've missed your text😁

No you didntLOL
Going to have another daylight try Kyle, nothing stopping you towing ya boat up here
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote enforcer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2014 at 4:56pm
enforcer View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I'll ring after dinner,
Over
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote swordfishsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2014 at 6:47pm
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Hey Tzer
Good Luck, try between 450mtr and 550mtrs seam to be most productive depth, I think Fred Lewis will be out trying with my hook rigs beside you soon, cheers swordfishsteveSmile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2014 at 7:13pm
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by swordfishsteve swordfishsteve wrote:

Hey Tzer
Good Luck, try between 450mtr and 550mtrs seam to be most productive depth, I think Fred Lewis will be out trying with my hook rigs beside you soon, cheers swordfishsteveSmile

Steve, I was talking to Charlie (Fred's skipper) I think they may be out tomorrow, I couldnt get a crew for tomorrow they offered up xcuses of having to work so will be out Saturday.
Club has $2000 up for grab for the first daytime caught broadbill by a member so plenty of incentive to try.
450 -550 meters how deeps thatBig smile I perfer to work in fathoms, the fish that was caught last weeknd was caught in about 130F (260m) we lost a fish couple years back in about this same depth.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote swordfishsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2014 at 7:30pm
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Craig
Boy you are old school in fathoms, I think one fathom = 2mtrs, so half the mtrs is close to fathoms, eg 500mtrs = 250 fathoms, or close to it, so you ar on the money I reckon, structure where the Bluenose, Gemfish, Rays Bream, Frost Fish live then you are in the zone, I think Daytime deep drops are more productive than Nightime Shallow Drifting/trolling, but every trip we do we learn more and more of these creatures of the deep, tight lines, heaps of drag, fight them hard or you are there for a LONGTIME, cheers swordfishsteve
Page  <1 234